October 2014 Weddings

All things cake...

This is sort of piggy-backing off of the cake topper thread, but who doesn't love to talk about cake/desserts?

Are you having a cake?  Cupcakes?  some other featured dessert?

What flavors are you doing?

How big is it, or how many will it serve?

Are you having it as your only dessert or do you have other desserts as well?

How will it be decorated?  Show us some inspiration pics!

Re: All things cake...

• I guess I should start?

We're having white almond cake with raspberry jam filling.  Iced with Italian buttercream.  It's going to have that spackled effect to it with a little bit of iced beading where the tiers meet.  It will serve 60 but we're only having around 45 or less so they will get decent sized slices.  The cake is going to be our dessert.  We are giving wrapped, cinnamon swirl mini-loafs as a favor, but the cake is the only dessert being served.

Here's how my cake will look, except with the spackled icing texture and the flowers at the top will be some ivory hydrangea and a purple dahlia.  It will also be three tiers like the pic.

• I'm so excited for our cake! It's a 3-tier with different layers:

Champagne cake with strawberry filling
    Chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling
    Spice cake with cream cheese

And just in case that isn't enough, my FI loves cookies so we are going to fore-go the groom's cake and have a cookie bar instead.

The cake will serve 135 people (we're inviting 150). It's a simple design - frosted layers of butter-cream with flowers placed around and flowers on top. Our colors are berry, soft pink, and ivory with hints of gold.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We will be having a 2-tier cake.  No idea how many people it feeds, it's what comes with our package.

I'm still deciding in between flavors - here is what I've narrowed it down to:
    Almond w/Amaretto Crunch Mousse filling
    Chocolate w/ Peanut Butter Mousse filling
    Chocolate w/Milk Chocolate Caramel Mousse filling (or maybe marble cake)

We will be having a dessert party.  I have to talk to my planner on this, but these are what I would like for my desserts:
    Tiramisu
    Chocolate Peanut Butter Marshmallow Bars
    School Bread (sweet bread roll injected w/vanilla pudding)
    Fresh Fruit Tray
    There are a few others, but those are the ones I'm excited about!

Anniversary
  • Most delicious thread ever!

We are having a 3 tier round cake, buttercream frosting and strawberry banana filling. yum!
  • kebebbkebebb member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    We're doing cupcakes and cookies. We're having strawberry, chocolate and vanilla cupcakes. The baker asked if I wanted the cupcakes to look any specific way. I told her I was fine with just plain boring cupcakes. She said she'll surprise me. My fiance is big into cookies too (I just like treats, I don't care what kind ha), so we'll have a plate of cookies on each table at the reception. Sugar, snickerdoodle, and chocolate chip.
  • My FI and I are baking pies for the wedding.  We are inviting about 80 people so we are doing about 10 pies.  They will obviously look like pies but FI is artsy and creative so will probably do some cutouts and decorations in crust on the top.  Right now we are leaning toward: Triple Berry, Peach, Apple, Pumpkin, Rhubarb, Apple-Caramel, and Lemon Creme (we will double up on some flavors to make sure we have enough pie for everyone).  We are also doing cookies as favors because FI makes amazing cookies.  Clearly, FI and I love to bake.
  • Wow, lots of great flavor combinations and cake-alternatives!  I think pies are very "fall" to me so that sounds awesome!

@Dignity100 - you have quite a tough decision with those flavors!!!

To be honest, I preferred the flavor of vanilla cake with a dulce de leche caramel filling, I thought it was more "fall", but FI and FMIL were really set on the white almond w/ raspberry.  I like both so it wasn't too big of a deal, but felt what we chose is more "typical" or expected. 

• Wow, lots of great flavor combinations and cake-alternatives!  I think pies are very "fall" to me so that sounds awesome!

@Dignity100 - you have quite a tough decision with those flavors!!!

To be honest, I preferred the flavor of vanilla cake with a dulce de leche caramel filling, I thought it was more "fall", but FI and FMIL were really set on the white almond w/ raspberry.  I like both so it wasn't too big of a deal, but felt what we chose is more "typical" or expected. 

So funny you say that! My FI couldn't understand why I wanted one tier to be spice cake with cream cheese. I told him, "duh, it's a fall flavor and we're having a fall wedding". But I was also trying to cater to those who may not like chocolate or fruit in their cake.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @beachyone15 - Spice cake is definitely fall!  I thought about pumpkin loafs as our favor but I thought cinnamon had a little bit more universal appeal.  Plus sometimes in the fall EVERYTHING is pumpkin flavored...coffee, muffins, etc., so I just went for cinnamon. 

@kebebb - I LOVE SNICKERDOODLES!!!!  I almost thought about doing those as favors...a snickerdoodle and a peanut butter blossom...my favorite + his favorite cookies.

@wajohnson09 - now that is quite interesting and unique...strawberry banana.  I've never even seen that as a choice with the bakeries I've looked at. 

• Lowell14Lowell14 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2014
    We are having a three tier cake of vanilla, chocolate fudge and lemon drizzle.

We are so also having a candy Bar of Halloween candy with our evening buffet

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So we are doing a mini 2 tier cake like one of the ones pictured..I'm in love with them both!! And we are also doing cupcakes for the guests (plus we won't have to waste time cutting the cake!)
  • jules3964jules3964 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    We're doing cupcakes, plus cheesecake (as the groom's cake). Then during the later part of our reception we are having a bonfire with s'mores! 

Here are our cupcake flavors:
    - Vanilla cake with strawberry filling, vanilla frosting
    - Chocolate coffee Kahlua cake, with chocolate coffee Kahlua mousse filling, Kahlua frosting
    - Pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting

I'm especially excited about the Pumpkin ones!
    I bought a cupcake tower online and plan to paint it to match our wedding colors. 

• Our cake will be similar to the cake below, but only three tiers. We will have ruffled buttercream icing and it will be decorated with fresh pale pink blooms and succulents.

Our top and middle tier will be vanilla with chantilly cream, lemon curd and fresh raspberries. Our bottom tier will be devil's food with white chocolate mousse, coconut cream and nutella.
  • Am I the only person who really doesn't care about cake? Honestly, I don't like cake. I don't have a sweet tooth. I think frosting is gross. That being said, we are getting sheet cakes for our guests and we will have a dessert table that has pie on it as well. If FI and I have to do some kind of cake cutting, I suppose we'll do that with pie instead.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JasperandOpalJasperandOpal member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited July 2014
    Emily104 said:
    Am I the only person who really doesn't care about cake? Honestly, I don't like cake. I don't have a sweet tooth. I think frosting is gross. That being said, we are getting sheet cakes for our guests and we will have a dessert table that has pie on it as well. If FI and I have to do some kind of cake cutting, I suppose we'll do that with pie instead.
    Thats part of the reason we are having cake.  1) FI and I love to bake 2) I don't eat cake and its not FIs favorite so why bother?  I have had 1 cake in my life that I thought was worth eating/would eat again.  I find it kind of boring, the texture does nothing for me, and frosting is gross.  

That said, I think cake is visually beautiful and love seeing examples of what people are doing because cakes/cupcakes can be decorated so wonderfully.

We thought about doing a costco sheet cake as well but decided against it and are just having pie for everyone.
  • FI and his family used to own a bakery, so FI is making tarts for dessert - apple, strawberry, and rhubarb.  We're on the fence about doing cake cutting pictures, since we're not having cake for dessert, but it's a tradition in my family for my aunt to make wedding cakes (she's amazing).  We might have her do a non-edible one just for presentation.  Tarts all the way!

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • I am having a cupcake tree, I am going to put a small heart cake on top to cut. I am making different flavors like: caramel apple, hot fudge, mint chocolate chip, angel food, lemon zest, watermelon, peanut butter, raspberry ripple,   and white coconut. I may add a few and may take away a few. the only one I haven't made yet is lemon zest. I guess I better get on that to see if I even like it!  
  • We are getting a three-tier wedding cake from a bakery called SugarBakers, which is a very well-known cake shop in the Baltimore area - cake tasting was so much fun and it was so hard to choose! We ended up going with a German Buttercream, which is a more lighter and froffy texture of the buttercream family. Two tiers will be an almond cake, with a raspberry/amaretto filling, and another tier will be a yellow cake with strawberry cream filling. Our cake is very simple - it will have our color (plum) ribbon around the base of each tier, bordered with fondant pearls. Top with our dachshund cake toppers!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards