40-Plus Brides

Changing Your Name?

2»

Re: Changing Your Name?

• I am keeping my name for professional reasons... Our two year old is hyphenated with both our lasts names though...
  • I never planned to change.  But then I changed my mind--but we are keeping it a surprise for the wedding.  My friends and family and colleagues will be *shocked.*

But man, changing all of my internet user names and emails and everything is going to be a pain in the *ss.  Women, tell your daughters to use first name based user names (or entirely non-name related user names).  That way that can make up their minds based on something other than what is convenient.
  • I was married 40 years when I was widowed so I am keeping that name as my "legal" name but will use his last name informally. The hassle and expense of changing my name at this stage of the game is not worth it. You can go by whatever name you want as long as you are not doing illegal activities. 
  • I realize this topic hasn't been commented on in awhile, but it's am issue in dealing with now so I thought I'd add my thoughts. This will be my first wedding and I was planning to take his last name, but I have a teenaged daughter who has my maiden name as her last name and doesn't really want to change it. So, I'm thinking I'm going to hyphenate in order to tie us all together. Both FI and my daughter have told me to do whatever feels right to me, so that's probably what I'll do.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @foundmymagicgeek - I like the hyphenation option since your daughter has a different name.  

@Swaptac I'm also marrying a Smith, and have had to spell my last name for 50 years!  
    The first time I told someone my name was Smith and I didn't have to spell it sold me.  I'm changing it!  First Maiden Smith!
    We had our dream wedding in Las Vegas - 11.29.2014
  • It's been a hard decision for me, but I think I've figured it out in a way that makes me happy.

I'm divorced with 2 kids, and about to get remarried in August.

My first marriage I went with "First / Maiden / Married"

Now, with kids in the mixture, I'm going with "First / Married #1 / Married #2"

I still want to have the same last name as my kids, but I am looking forward to having FI's last name, too.

So that's the best of both worlds for me.

:-)
  • This is my second marriage and I have had this name since I was 18, (now 53) we had a long discussion about this, I am dropping my middle name and changing it to my current name and taking my fiancé's last name. This way for business purposes I can still use my current name.

•     I'm jumping in with both feet and taking his. Our last names are very similar so it won't be that big a change, I don't even have to change my monogram :)

I'll be keeping my middle name, because our last names are so similar it sounds lame when I use my maiden name as a middle with his last. 

I will confess to not looking forward to changing my name everywhere though, LOL. I heard it can kind of be a pain.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards