Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Brides with eczema

I have a year until my wedding, but after I recent eczema outbreak all over my arm, it dawned on me that I am not safe from it on my wedding day. Does anyone else have eczema? If so, how are you battling it? I have a prescription, but it causes skin thinning so i use is sparingly. I have used aquaphor but it clogs my pores frequently. I would have to have my pictures ruined by flaky red patches everywhere, let alone on my face where it is the worst. (Makeup makes it look worse)

Re: Brides with eczema

• JasperandOpalJasperandOpal member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited July 2014
    Have you tried Cetaphil? I use the cleaner and moisturizer and found that it works really well without clogging. Also, depending on where the eczema is, it might be a direct reaction to something you use, like a soap or laundry detergent. I changed my laundry detergent to a hypoallergenic/pure one and it really helped. I used to have terrible eczema on my legs but it has pretty much gone away since I changed detergents.
  • I second what JasperandOpal said, plus I changed my dryer sheets and it helped a LOT.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I have another skin condition that's similar. I have literally tried everything. Right now I use cerave lotion and a body scrub called simple sugars. It's completely natural and safe on all skin types. It really helps smooth out my skin and cut down on the redness. I also us scent free everything; laundry detergent, dryer sheets, lotion, soap, everything.
  • I never use the same thing twice when it comes to cleaning products trying to find something that works. When I got the eczema it started on my face around my eyes, I use cereve hydrating cleanser, then First Aid Beauty moisturizer from sephora, the burning means its working! Haha. I have random out breaks on my arms, wrists, ankles, shins, and thighs. I started using coconut oil but I can't tell if its working. The outbreaks are so random and different places every time, I can't tell what its from. I'll try switching to scent free everything.
  • I had what looked like eczema around my eyes and discovered that it was an allergy to SLS (sodium laureth sulfate). It was in EVERYTHING! I changed my makeup and shampoo/conditioner to things that are SLS free. I use Aveeno Calming face wash designed for eczema and I haven't had any breakouts.

Definitely take a look at the chemicals in ALL your products. Soaps, lotions, detergents.

Good luck!
  • edited July 2014
    I used to get really bad eczema on my arms and face. I tried everything. And nothing worked. I hate to recommend this, because it's SO SO bad for you. But the only thing that got rid of it for me was tanning in a tanning bed.
  • You know what, I actually noticed that when I went tanning at the gym, the breakouts were much less severe. I wasn't sure if it was just a coincidence. Maybe there is something to it.
  • I have very sensetive skin and eczema all the time when i least want it.  My dermo is very old school (like she is in her 80s) and makes me use a Borax 20 Mule.  Yes it is a laundry detergent but it is very soft for the skin and safe.  I use a table spoon of it with a cup of water and wash my face with it 3 times a week....i also soak my hands in it for 5 mintues bc my eczema loves to live there.  PM if you have any other questions.  I also use coconut oil and shea butter before going to bed on teh big patches.
  • Allergies to food could be causing it. My wife's daughter has eczema. Her issue is wheat and dairy, we use detergent and fabric softener for sensitive skin. Her skin looks much better now.
  • Allergies to food could be causing it. My wife's daughter has eczema. Her issue is wheat and dairy, we use detergent and fabric softener for sensitive skin. Her skin looks much better now.
    Does it really help? I have a friend, her eczema happens in seasons.
    Cold weather affects my eczema in a HUGE way. My hands and wrists always look terrible in the winter from eczema blowups.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• It does help her break outs are minimal as long as she follows her diet and we use the products
  • Allergies can make it worse but it usually won't get rid of it entirely. I use cortizone cream and it works pretty well. You could talk to your Doctor about getting a shot of a corticosteroid too, some people I know with eczema get those for special occasions. You don't wanna do it all the time or anything, but they do clear it up really well (for me anyways)
  • Cetaphil, unscented detergent, go get a prescription for Lortiderm cream (saves me every time) and get some sun.  Tanning helps with certain skin conditions and I've always found it helped my eczema.  Not too much, just a little.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards