Not Engaged Yet

Anyone want to talk Mockingjay? (WARNING: SPOILERS)

So yesterday I finished reading Mockingjay. I am at a loss.. I think I HATE the ending. I felt like the end was thrown together and a blur. Was I just shocked about Prim? I have to say that I had always wanted her to be with Gale and I hate that he was just in another district and they never spoke again? I just can't make it all make sense in my head. Anyone care to chat about it??
friends tv show funy

Re: Anyone want to talk Mockingjay? (WARNING: SPOILERS)

• It has been so long since i've read thit book...honeslty i'm having trouble remembering enough to have a conversation about it. I do remember being really upset about Prim. Maybe I should re-read this book!

• I hated the end of MockingJay too, but not nearly as much as I hated the end of Allegiant.
  • What I hated most about Mockingjay was it felt like Suzanne Collins left way too much story to be told and crammed it into the last, oh, 3 chapters or so. The whole flow was destroyed by that point and it became "then this, then this, then this, just ignore all the stuff that seems incomplete."
    This is exactly how I feel. It was a huge detailed story, and then she woke up in the hospital and it was like hereiseverylastdetailIcanthinkof. I needed more of an explanation I guess.
    friends tv show funy
  • I wasn't upset about Katniss and Peeta ending up together (I went back and forth throughout the whole series on who I thought was better for her and I understood after what happened with Prim that she could never be with Gale) but I agree the whole ending was SO rushed that when it actually ended I was like "WHAT THE FUCK, SUZANNE?!"

• I HATED the end. I remember finishing the book, closing the cover, and wanting to throw it out the fucking window. It felt like she spent SO. MUCH. TIME. describing all of these things throughout the three books, and then she just wanted to be done writing it.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Ugh, yeah everyone pretty much nailed what I hated about the book. I kind of felt like she scored a movie deal for her series and then just threw the last few chapters together so it would be done. I'm really bummed with how it ended. And considering everyone has said Allegiant is a worse ending than this, I've kind of given up on the Divergent series too. 

• I hated the end of MockingJay too, but not nearly as much as I hated the end of Allegiant.
    I didn't hate the end of Allegiant AT ALL. While it was shocking (I don't want to post spoilers, since we're talking about HG), I thought it was a WAY better way to wrap up the story, instead of the way Mockingjay ended, which was really shitty.

I think the part that killed MJ for me was the fact that throughout the series, she didn't want to have kids and live that life, and then she just married Peeta and had babies. And never spoke to her mother or Gale ever again. It just pissed me off.

*******************************************************************************************

I didn't hate the end of Allegiant AT ALL. While it was shocking (I don't want to post spoilers, since we're talking about HG), I thought it was a WAY better way to wrap up the story, instead of the way Mockingjay ended, which was really shitty.

I think the part that killed MJ for me was the fact that throughout the series, she didn't want to have kids and live that life, and then she just married Peeta and had babies. And never spoke to her mother or Gale ever again. It just pissed me off.
    Really?  For me, Allegiant, and the last half of Insurgent, were like... seriously?  SERIOUSLY?

It was too much going on.  And the ending....woof.

Yes to the bolded. You always got the feeling she had cut off her mother for not taking care of Prim and her after the father died, but I can't imagine not wanting to have her mother for her own grief about Prim. Also what about the one slim line about Finnick having a baby? I read that line like three times before I stopped saying "WHAT?!" And Coin wanting to do another Hunger Games. Was that just meant for the reader to see that things really weren't going to change? Did Plutrich know the whole plan and still go with it? He just disappeared after the whole thing into another district and was never spoken of again. And Haymitch? Did he drink himself into oblivion? ALL THE QUESTIONS!
    friends tv show funy
  • caseface5 said:
    I hated the end of MockingJay too, but not nearly as much as I hated the end of Allegiant.

--Yes to the bolded. You always got the feeling she had cut off her mother for not taking care of Prim and her after the father died, but I can't imagine not wanting to have her mother for her own grief about Prim. 

---Also what about the one slim line about Finnick having a baby? I read that line like three times before I stopped saying "WHAT?!" 

--- And Coin wanting to do another Hunger Games. Was that just meant for the reader to see that things really weren't going to change? Did Plutrich know the whole plan and still go with it? He just disappeared after the whole thing into another district and was never spoken of again. And Haymitch? Did he drink himself into oblivion? ALL THE QUESTIONS!!!

I HAD PARAGRAPHS! DAMN IT TK
    friends tv show funy
  • I didn't mind the ending of Mockingjay. I liked that Peeta and Katniss ended up together. I did think it all ended too quickly, like Collins didn't actually know how to write an ending. I always hated Gale so I'm happy their relationship went the way it did. I also didn't mind that she changed her mind about having kids. Her objection to it always centered on the Hunger Games but if those didn't exist anymore I don't think it was a shift in her character to want them.

Allegiant was a disaster. I was hugely disappointed with the quality of writing in that book (the author had no fucking clue how to write a voice for Tobias) and the ending was ridiculous. It wasn't shocking, it was an author trying to hard and failing. She threw a lot of character development out the window and *SPOILER* (highlight to see) killing off Tris was entirely pointless. It's not even slightly believable that her death would've had the reaching effect it did in the book. 

• I need to reread MJ I don't remember many details from the ending really I read it over two years ago.  I did remember feeling that things wrapped up pretty quickly and I still had a lot of answers.

I didn't mind the ending to the divergent series but by the time I started the last book, I almost didn't care about either character....

Anniversary

• BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Honestly, I was team Peeta through the whole series, until I saw the movie.  I cannot be Team Peeta when Gale is freakin' Liam Hemsworth and Peeta is not.
  • I hated the end of Mockingjay, for every reason PP have already stated. It was so drag drag RUSH.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Oh, I was/am totally Team Gale. I thought Peeta was a whiny brat. 

• Everyone has pretty much summed up my feelings on Mockingjay. The story drags and drags and nothing really happens, and then the last, I don't know, quarter of the book was a mad rush to wrap shit up and kill people off and I was really not impressed.

I was okay with her ending up with Peeta. I completely understand how she couldn't have been with Gale by the end.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I think I'm in the minority here, but I liked MJ, especially the second time I read the series. I liked that the author showed Katniss having PTSD rather than just marching along like everything was a-OK. I liked that she didn't immediately trust the new regime, and I thought the author did a decent job of showing that both District 13 and Panem were basically the same totalitarian regime with different figureheads. I think the ending was waaaaay rushed though and should have been expanded on more. That last battle scene was especially short and bittersweet. In a matter of a sentence, some of the main characters die, and that's that. Like, really? Even George RR Martin gives us a bit more information about character deaths, and he's the king of killing off characters. 

Insurgent and Allegiant were terrible. It's such a shame that the author ran that series into the ground. Divergent had so much potential! Insurgent was incredibly angsty (I mean, I know it's YA, but hot damn that was a lot of angst and teenage emotional turmoil), and then Allegiant was a hot mess altogether. I didn't even bother seeing the movie after finishing Allegiant because I was so disappointed with the series. 

COMPLETELY AGREE.
  • @weewittlewizabeth completely agree with you on the whole Divergent series.  I didn't even bother to go see the movie.

Anniversary

• @weewittlewizabeth - If I wasn't so brain dead today I feel like I could've written your post word-for-word!

@Peaseblossom55 - I still haven't seen Divergent either. I was already annoyed with the majority of their casting choices but the plumet in the quality writing in the series is what really killed my whole love for the series. I don't know if I'll ever bother to see the movie...

• Swazzle said:
    I was SO disappointed with the Peeta casting when I first found out! I would do dirty things to Gale (and Thor, for that matter) on the other hand.

Don't forget Luke..
    friends tv show funy
  • OMG there's 3 of them? Be still my heart.

• I completely disliked the ending of Mocking Jay.  I also felt like there was ALL KINDS of story to be told and then nothing.  It was like the book came first...fail.

• caseface5 said:
    Swazzle said:
    I was SO disappointed with the Peeta casting when I first found out! I would do dirty things to Gale (and Thor, for that matter) on the other hand.

Don't forget Luke..
    Meh. I could do without that one on the right. 

• @weewittlewizabeth - If I wasn't so brain dead today I feel like I could've written your post word-for-word!

@Peaseblossom55 - I still haven't seen Divergent either. I was already annoyed with the majority of their casting choices but the plumet in the quality writing in the series is what really killed my whole love for the series. I don't know if I'll ever bother to see the movie...
    DON'T. 

It was awful.

• WildMageletWildMagelet member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited July 2014
    I now have zero desire to read the Divergent series, LOL. I liked HGs, but I was also admittedly disappointed by the rush ending. (Also...the movies feel like they skip a LOT randomly to the point where I have to rewind and go - wait, what?) And yesssss to Liam and Chris <3 Seriously...Chris Hemsworth is one of those people I want to be locked in a room with so he can just *talk* to me.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • @swazzle advice well taken :-) I'm not even sure if it's out on netflix anyway

Anniversary

• Swazzle said:
    @weewittlewizabeth - If I wasn't so brain dead today I feel like I could've written your post word-for-word!

DON'T. 

It was awful.
    That makes me sad. I was SO excited when the movie was first announced.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards