Not Engaged Yet
Options

Anyone want to talk Mockingjay? (WARNING: SPOILERS)

2»

Re: Anyone want to talk Mockingjay? (WARNING: SPOILERS)

• Options
    I agree with PP on Mockingjay. The pacing was weird, and I'm surprised it's being split into two movies. I think one would have been sufficient.

I wavered between Gale and Peeta but was team Peeta by the end, but like @GoldenPenguin said, I was disappointed that after all her talk of not wanting kids, she apparently let Peeta talk her into it.

Movie-wise, while I found Josh Hutcherson really blah as Peeta in HG, I actually thought he was great in Catching Fire.
  • Options
    TwoDimes said:
    I hated the end of MockingJay too, but not nearly as much as I hated the end of Allegiant.
    I didn't hate the end of Allegiant AT ALL. While it was shocking (I don't want to post spoilers, since we're talking about HG), I thought it was a WAY better way to wrap up the story, instead of the way Mockingjay ended, which was really shitty.

I think the part that killed MJ for me was the fact that throughout the series, she didn't want to have kids and live that life, and then she just married Peeta and had babies. And never spoke to her mother or Gale ever again. It just pissed me off.
    I know I'm way late to the conversation, but I just wanted to chime in to second the bolded statement. I know there are a lot of negative opinions of the way the Divergent series ended, but I agree with @GoldenPenguin. I definitely did not hate the ending. Unlike the HG series, the Divergent series actually wraps everything up with the ending. I wasn't left with a million lingering questions like I was with HG.
    *Divergent Spoiler Below!*

Although I agree that Divergent was more detailed in it's ending than HG, the ending was even more unsatisfactory for me because the author didn't do the work to get the ending she clearly desired. Her writing was lazy and she slapped in the ending she wanted without actually writing up events that would satisfactorily lead to that ending. Tris's death to me wasn't surprising or even near the most upsetting thing about the book. It was her trying to shock her audience to prove she's a good author rather than writing an ending that actually held together. 

Also, she tried to write in two voices when she clearly didn't know how to write in two distinctive voices so IMO Tobias became Tris's character because she didn't know how to write his voice independently.

• Options
    @bethsmiles PREACH! You summed up my thoughts precisely. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Swazzle said:
    @weewittlewizabeth - If I wasn't so brain dead today I feel like I could've written your post word-for-word!

@Peaseblossom55 - I still haven't seen Divergent either. I was already annoyed with the majority of their casting choices but the plumet in the quality writing in the series is what really killed my whole love for the series. I don't know if I'll ever bother to see the movie...
    DON'T. 

It was awful.
    That makes me sad. I was SO excited when the movie was first announced.
    I was too! Funny story, I couldn't find anyone to go to the 8pm showing the night before it was officially released so finally my BFF agreed. We got to the theater SO early -- I'm used to HG craziness -- and I made a plan and was like "you run (literally, run) and get us good seats and I'll wait in line and get our snacks!" 

She agreed and hurried off and I got in line. I walked into the theater with all of our food and we were the ONLY people there. I think eventually it ended up about half-full but my insanity so was so unnecessary. 

• Options
    [snip]

Also, she tried to write in two voices when she clearly didn't know how to write in two distinctive voices so IMO Tobias became Tris's character because she didn't know how to write his voice independently.
    This, so much! I kept having to go back to remind myself whose chapter it was. Honestly, I hate books that constantly change narrators like that. The only time I've seen it work well is the Midnight Louie series because the voices are very different, and at least in actual print books, they used a different font, too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards