Chit Chat

Pet Peeves

Re: Pet Peeves

• Oh, so many things.  I am a huge bitch and have way too many pet peeves.  I'm not sorry.

Punctuation errors of all types.  Lynne Truss is my hero:

LEANING ON THE POLE in the subway.  No.  That pole is for everyone, not just you.

Men who have nasty, nasty dried out too-long toenails and icky feet and insist on wearing sandals.  Nobody wants to see that shit.

Tourists who walk slowly in the middle of the sidewalk, in large groups.

Anybody who is walking in front of me and stops dead, especially to look at their phone.  Native New Yorkers are just as guilty of this.  The sidewalk is for walking.  If you need to send a text, get yourself out of the sidewalk.

Those stupid quotes everyone shares on Facebook, where the image is obviously just created to be shared as a quote.  Most of those pages are advertising farms and I don't want that shit on my news feed.

Mushrooms in mac and cheese.  NO.  The only thing that belongs in my mac and cheese is bacon, and maybe broccoli if I want to pretend it's healthy.  Get out of here with those mushrooms.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• The Sonic where we live. It's like the employees think they will die if they get the order right. I've had them replace a wrong item with THE SAME WRONG ITEM. It's ridiculous.  

People who post crap on Facebook without taking 30 seconds to find out if it's true. 

Drawers and cabinets being left open.  Our almost 2-year-old goes around closing stuff behind his dad. 

There's more but I just can't think of them right now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CamiSeleneCamiSelene member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2014
    Oh man, I can't agree more with so many of these! Here are a few of mine: 

-People who post a million and one photos of their babies. I don't need to see 10 pictures of your baby sleeping within the span of a minute.... and to go with that, people that frequently post updates on their babies like they are speaking in first person. I had one acquaintance post every little update on he daughters potty training process. I don't care what your child's poop looks like JFC! 

-To continue with the fb annoyances... people who post daily countdowns to their wedding when it's not for another year and a half! "437 days till the wedding. Can't wait!!!". Ugh, I'm a couple weeks from mine and I don't do that shit.

- One-uppers. Those people who constantly have to try to be better than everyone. I once dated a guy who was legally blind and a girl that went to uni with us tried to one-up him on how bad her eyesight was.... he's LEGALLY BLIND! People that walk slowly and take up the entire hallway/aisle. 

-Overly high-maintenance/judgmental people. Sadly, this is frequently FMIL. She's generally a nice person but some days... 

-People who cant pick up after themselves. Clothes, dishes, garbage.... you name it. FI is a slob (clothes everywhere, month old dishes, garbage everywhere.... just no). I told him outright that I would treat him like my K/1 students when we moved in together. I said we would have a chore jar and everything and he would have to do 2 chores before going on the computer every day because I cannot live like that (I'm borderline clean freak though). He knows he's bad and was 100% okay with that and has been pretty good about it since I moved in a couple weeks ago but we have a ways to go. 

-And lastly, a work one.... Parents who put sports and extra-curriculars before helping to teach their 6 year old how to read. If you can't find 15 minutes in your busy day to read with your child, there is a problem there.... especially if you are a stay at home mom (yes, I had a parent like this). This past year I kept 2 kids after school to read to me for half an hour every day for 3 months (these kids had 0 parent support). They went from reading well below grade level to well above grade level in that time. It doesn't take much. 

ETA: Apparently TK is against allowing me paragraphs today...

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• I work for a startup. I frequently work from home because we share a communal office with other companies and my coworkers often travel, all with a 90 minute commute. FI also happens to work from home, though he's there 90% of the time.

So:
    -It must be so nice to have so much free time. Clearly you've never worked for a startup. And lucky me, I don't get paid this month.
    -No, we don't have time to take you and your family to the airport in the middle of a workday.
    -Nope, can't cover for your babysitter
    -Seriously- your kid won't stay silent and stay out of trouble while I work.
    -I can't wait at your place for the cable guy, plumber, electrician, etc.
    -FI's home, can't he just fix my POS car, house, etc? No, he's working and when he's done, he needs to fix our POS cars and house. Unless you pay him, then it's a different story.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Oh yay! I like being ranty with you guys and this is the perfect opportunity lol

1) People that think they're better than you.  One of my co-workers constantly tells me how she's MUCH more dedicated than me because she comes in on the weekend for 4 hours. I live 45 minutes away. It would cost me more in gas to get here than I would get paid to be here. So no. Not happening.
    2) The same co-worker feels the need to insist that everything that comes out of my mouth is wrong. 
    3) Children that swear ALL the time. It doesn't make you cool, stop doing it.
    4) People touching other people's baby bellies without asking. WTF. Who thought that was a good idea.
    5) People who think everything is their business Yes, we're having a wedding. No, you're not invited. Yes, I'm bitchy. No, I'm not pregnant. DEAL WITH IT.
    6)  BIG ONE. People that assume that because I'm a woman, I know nothing about cars. I'm pretty knowledgeable in the car department.
  • Oh I have one more.

People asking me when V and I are getting engaged. We haven't even been together for a a year yet! (It will be in a year in Sept.) I love the guy and I hope we get married one day but today is not the day. I'm not trying to be a BSC 20 year old and the constant asking from my parents, co-workers, ect isn't helping grr.
  • Being a teacher I cannot stand the constant remarks about:

- "Oh, it must be so nice to not have to work for 2 months" - Actually, I do a lot of professional development and preparing for the next year over the summer. Yes, it is nice to do it in my own time but it is not all free time. Also, I don't get paid during those 2 months. I have to save over the year so that I don't have to take a part-time job over the summer.

-"You teach kindergarten/grade 1? That must be so nice! You get to paint and sing. It must be a lot easier than teaching highschool!" - No. It is not. Teaching highschool and teaching the very little ones both have their challenges. One is not harder or easier than they other. Yes, we paint and sing but we also have to learn the basics of how to read and write which can be like trying to teach a donkey to ride a unicycle some days!

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• - I 100% agree about the toenail clipping!!! Drives me nuts.

- I work for a university and people always ask me if I get summers off. No, I'm not a student or a faculty member. I am a lowly-paid staff member who works all year long. Thanks for bringing it up.

- People who are extra-cheery in the morning. Sorry, but I don't really want to talk to anyone until at least 10am.

- Group texts that are irrelevant to me. Stop it!

- People asking me what our wedding "theme" is. The theme is "wedding", thank you very much.

- A PP mentioned people texting while they are out to dinner with you. I had a friend who, no joke, would hold up her finger to me and say "hold on" as I was in the middle of a sentence if she had a text come in. Needless to say, we aren't friends anymore (for other reasons too).

• -People who can't frakking show up on time. This goes for friends/family but also for appointments. If you say 8-9 arrival, 10:20 is NOT OKAY.

-People who constantly ask how my job search is going. It's going fucking awful, thanks for asking. I'll let you know when I have something now STFU.

-FI putting stuff back in random places. The bread doesn't go in the spice cabinet. The tupperware doesn't go with the dishes. YOUR SHOES DO NOT BELONG IN FRONT OF THE COUCH.

Also I'm hangry right now. Don't tell me my appt will be 30 mins and then take 2 hours. That's bullshit.

eyeroll
  • I thought of another one!! Brides INSISTING on skanky bridesmaid dresses. I do not want to see nor be forced to wear a dress that shows off tush or all of my cleavage. One of my girlfriends was in a wedding where the bride insisted on a dress that was less than an inch below her butt, v-necked all the way down. She ended up dropping out of the party.
  • Mushrooms in mac and cheese.  NO.  The only thing that belongs in my mac and cheese is bacon, and maybe broccoli if I want to pretend it's healthy.  Get out of here with those mushrooms.
    I used to work at a summer camp. Wednesday was Mac and cheese for lunch, which was my favourite day . . . until the cook started putting peppers in the mac and cheese. So gross, and the pepper taste permeated everything so removing the peppers only got rid of the texture not taste.
    Crab is also acceptable in mac and cheese.
    mysticl said: 

People who post crap on Facebook without taking 30 seconds to find out if it's true. 

It really pisses me off when people re-post science stuff, especially anti-vax stuff, without finding out if it's true. Depending on the person and my mood, I reply back with the science facts about why the post is incorrect. Don't tell an immunologist/virologist that vaccines don't work.

Anniversary
  • Mushrooms in mac and cheese.  NO.  The only thing that belongs in my mac and cheese is bacon, and maybe broccoli if I want to pretend it's healthy.  Get out of here with those mushrooms.
    I used to work at a summer camp. Wednesday was Mac and cheese for lunch, which was my favourite day . . . until the cook started putting peppers in the mac and cheese. So gross, and the pepper taste permeated everything so removing the peppers only got rid of the texture not taste.
    mysticl said: 

It really pisses me off when people re-post science stuff, especially anti-vax stuff, without finding out if it's true. Depending on the person and my mood, I reply back with the science facts about why the post is incorrect. Don't tell an immunologist/virologist that vaccines don't work.
    My favorite was someone who posted an article about Obama. It had a decidedly negative spin but I just couldn't believe it was true because even if Obama did feel that way he isn't stupid enough to say the things the article quoted. So a minute later I found the full article. The copied article was missing the last three words "intended as satire". So I commented that it was a joke. He said he believed it was a joke but he also believes Obama feels that way. I just left it at that but thing that kills me is he teaches Government to high school students.  I hope he actually teaches them facts and doesn't let them get away with using fake references.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticl said:
    Mushrooms in mac and cheese.  NO.  The only thing that belongs in my mac and cheese is bacon, and maybe broccoli if I want to pretend it's healthy.  Get out of here with those mushrooms.
    mysticl said: 

My favorite was someone who posted an article about Obama. It had a decidedly negative spin but I just couldn't believe it was true because even if Obama did feel that way he isn't stupid enough to say the things the article quoted. So a minute later I found the full article. The copied article was missing the last three words "intended as satire". So I commented that it was a joke. He said he believed it was a joke but he also believes Obama feels that way. I just left it at that but thing that kills me is he teaches Government to high school students.  I hope he actually teaches them facts and doesn't let them get away with using fake references.  
    @ladymillil Peppers, ew!  Crab and lobster are also acceptable, I suppose.

@mysticl I hate that crap.  I am also Facebook friends with a VERY conservative guy who also teaches high school social studies and government.  Every once in a while he posts conservative quotes from his students, like, "Look how good of a teacher I am."  He's indoctrinating those kids and it drives me nuts.  He's also constantly sharing memes/"satire"/extreme rightwing blog posts with no fact checking.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• mysticl said:
    Someone that my cousin is friends with shared a (link) to an article on an OBVIOUS satire site. The story was about how the mars Curiosity rover found the 10 commandments carved into giant stone tablets in a cave on mars. My cousin shared it, and legitimately had no fucking clue that it wasn't real.

I almost didn't have the heart to explain that it wasn't true, but then I remembered that my cousin is kind of an idiot and I really hoped he wasn't going to try to have a real conversation with anyone that had half a fucking brain about this fake article thinking it was about a real thing.

How do some of these people even do life? Do you think they get scared in the grocery store when they see tabloid covers?
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• People who drive while using their cell phones.
    Men who wear baseball caps in restaurants.  (Yes, it is rude!)
    Politicians who use robo-calls to campaign.  (They won't get my vote!)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @ladymillil, Crab in mac n cheese? Why did I never think of that? You've just given me dinner tonight! Homemade mac n cheese with crab! Definitely worth a try! :P

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• CMGragain said:
    People who drive while using their cell phones.
    YOU ARE GOING TO KILL SOMEONE!!!! NO ONE IS THAT IMPORTANT!!!!! PUT DOWN THE PHONE OR PULL OVER.

I yell at people.
  • mysticl said:
    mysticl said: 

@ladymillil Peppers, ew!  Crab and lobster are also acceptable, I suppose.

@mysticl I hate that crap.  I am also Facebook friends with a VERY conservative guy who also teaches high school social studies and government.  Every once in a while he posts conservative quotes from his students, like, "Look how good of a teacher I am."  He's indoctrinating those kids and it drives me nuts.  He's also constantly sharing memes/"satire"/extreme rightwing blog posts with no fact checking.
    Oh then you will love this.  A different friend posted an article about how U.S. service members are being required to observe Ramadan. Of course most of the comments were outrage over this. However, if you followed the original link to the full article it explained the service members who are currently stationed in places like Baharain are being educated on the observances of Ramadan. Why? Because complying with the rules of Ramadan is the law in some of these countries and they do not want service members to be arrested for inadvertently breaking the law when they are out in public.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, people who can't get their shit together so volunteers know where they're supposed to be and what they're supposed to do when they get there. Way to make me feel needed and valued.
  • beethery said:
    mysticl said:
    Someone that my cousin is friends with shared a (link) to an article on an OBVIOUS satire site. The story was about how the mars Curiosity rover found the 10 commandments carved into giant stone tablets in a cave on mars. My cousin shared it, and legitimately had no fucking clue that it wasn't real.

I almost didn't have the heart to explain that it wasn't true, but then I remembered that my cousin is kind of an idiot and I really hoped he wasn't going to try to have a real conversation with anyone that had half a fucking brain about this fake article thinking it was about a real thing.

How do some of these people even do life? Do you think they get scared in the grocery store when they see tabloid covers?
    The Facebook crap x10000000000.

You know what I saw this morning? This. Complete with stupid ellipsis and random capitalization.

Really. Really? What the fuck? How can any adult human being believe for two seconds that this even vaguely sounds like anything in the world Shakespeare might have written? I actually had to block this woman, because I can't stand the stupidity. There is no damned excuse. We went to the same schools. I would have questioned this at 10 years old, if not before. God, the stoopid in the world. It hurts me. Soooo much stoopid.
  • Whenever we take a vacation and people give jealous attitude and say "must be nice to afford that". STFU. I don't make more than you, I just budget differently. You go out to eat 4 times a week and have new Coach purses and a new car and your nails done. I go out to eat once a month, have a 2 year old purse that was a gift, drive a 7 year old car, and don't get nails or massages so that I can take my nice vacations so F off.

• jenna8984 said:
    Whenever we take a vacation and people give jealous attitude and say "must be nice to afford that". STFU. I don't make more than you, I just budget differently. You go out to eat 4 times a week and have new Coach purses and a new car and your nails done. I go out to eat once a month, have a 2 year old purse that was a gift, drive a 7 year old car, and don't get nails or massages so that I can take my nice vacations so F off.
    THIS. FI and I budget really well. If we have something nice, it's because we saved up for it. There's a reason we have a house at ages 26 and 27, and your 35 year old ass is still renting a tiny apartment.
    eyeroll
  • lyndausvi said:

My DH is a last minute merger.   He was taught the zipper theory.  Meaning you fill up both lanes until the end and each car alternates.   It drives him CRAZY when people merge in way before the lane ends.   It often causes longer lines while there is an empty lane right there.

People often do not let cars in at the last minute because they believe they are "cutting" in front of everyone else.  When actually if all the cars merger closer to the end there isn't any cutting because the cars would be traveling together and each lane takes turn getting into the lane towards the end.     

When done properly the zipper theory is actually the most efficient way to merge.  Just a different perspective on merging.  Not all are trying to be assholes. 
    I wouldn't call H and I last minute mergers. But it annoys the living bejesus out of me that people can't merge using the zipper theory.

Houses are not for everyone. Where someone lives has no bearing on what I think of them really. I enjoy our apartment and neighbors very much. As much as I would like a house I'm not wanting the responsibility of a house. The car I drive is an '02 and Hs is an '09. We do take as many trips as possible but we're lucky and our trips are fairly inexpensive.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lyndausvi said:

My DH is a last minute merger.   He was taught the zipper theory.  Meaning you fill up both lanes until the end and each car alternates.   It drives him CRAZY when people merge in way before the lane ends.   It often causes longer lines while there is an empty lane right there.

People often do not let cars in at the last minute because they believe they are "cutting" in front of everyone else.  When actually if all the cars merger closer to the end there isn't any cutting because the cars would be traveling together and each lane takes turn getting into the lane towards the end.     

When done properly the zipper theory is actually the most efficient way to merge.  Just a different perspective on merging.  Not all are trying to be assholes. 
    Makes me think of a book I read a while ago, Traffic. It's a book totally dedicated to human behavior in traffic, and why we do the things we do. One section is dedicated to merging traffic. Pretty intetesting.

• @southernbelle0915 clipping fingernails in the office is one of the worst things a person can do. The girl in the office next door to mine does it EVERY DAY and it's like nails on a chalkboard. Also, gross.
    How has she not clipped her fingers down to the knuckles already?
  • 1) DH has the inability to put dishes in the dishwasher unless I suggest it to him. once he watched me unload the dishwasher, and he still put his dishes in the sink. When I was back in a kitchen I started laughing. When he asked what I was laughing at, I reminded him that he had watched me put away the dishes so his normal excuse of I didn't know if the dishwasher dishes were clean or dirty would not work. He put his dishes properly into the dishwasher for about a week.

2) DH also has a little quirk of every new kind of drink must have a new glass. It drives me wild when I go upstairs to the office and he has six different glasses of different sizes all over his desk.

3) coworkers who see the work you've been doing and the emails requesting reviews dor suggested edits who wait till the last minute to suggest changes- to the draft feom two rounds ago. Thanks for letting me know how little you value my time and effort.

4) people who play the music in their cars so loud it rattles my car when im next to them or worse, I can hear the lyrics from my top floor office and its rattling the window. YOUR SOUND SYSTEM ISNT BROKEN, YOUVE JUST GONE DEAF FROM PLAYING MUSIC TOO LOUDLY

5) jackass management/maintenance guys who think it's a good idea to turn off the air in the office overnight on a weekday. In July. In Florida. To "save money." Just got to the office, we have no air and its at least 87 degrees in here. I deservr hazard pay for this.

• Working in law enforcement?  People who are unable or unwilling to use the Googles to find basic information.  The police are not directory assistance, and no, I don't know (or care) what time the (insert random community event) starts next weekend.  No, fireworks are not permitted in the city limits.  Oddly enough, the fireworks the city puts on usually start around dark, ON THE 4th.  No, I cant tell you why your (insert family member) has a warrant out of the neighboring county, I suggest calling them.  I could keep going, but it's my Monday...I don't want to start my workweek off in a snarky, pissy mood.
    I'm a paralegal. I don't know every law. I don't know most of them. My areas are real estate, estate planning and probate. I don't know how much time you will get for your drug/dui/contempt charges. I do however know the proper way (in this state) to give away your shit when you die. 
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards