Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Cake pulls - who decides?

I have decided to incorporate the Southern tradition of the "cake pull," with charms for each of my maids, into my Bridesmaids Brunch. My question is:
Are the charms pulled at random/by luck by each girl OR do I designate who gets each specific charm (by the significance of each one; ex.: a bridesmaid who just got a new job to receive the money bag charm for wish of financial security, etc.?)

Re: Cake pulls - who decides?

• I've always seen it as random.
  • My understanding is everyone just grabs a ribbon. You shouldn't even know where each one is located.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What is a cake pull?  I've never heard of it.
  • What is a cake pull?  I've never heard of it.

STB
    http://wedding-cake-pulls.myshopify.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think random is best. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I don't really understand it.
    *********************************************************************************

• I don't really understand it.

It's just an old tradition in the New Orleans area. Kind of like the "first line" dance and bedazzled umbrellas which are seen at most weddings down there. There's no real point, just a random tradition for fun.

• They're random. That's the point, like the silver charms in Christmas pudding. It's a fortune telling game. The sixpence for good financial fortune for the year, the thimble means no marriage, the ring means an engagement, a shoe for travel. I forget the other ones, because I lost mine. A horseshoe, maybe? 
    So yes, random. Or what would be the fun? 
  • jenna8984 said:
    I don't really understand it.

It's just an old tradition in the New Orleans area. Kind of like the "first line" "second line" dance and bedazzled umbrellas which are seen at most weddings down there. There's no real point, just a random tradition for fun.
    FTFY 

My sister is from and got married in NOLA. She has no idea what these are either. Maybe it's just a certain type of crowd thing? I think if everyone there is familiar with this, it wouldn't be awkward at all - possibly a "know your crowd" kind of thing..
    *********************************************************************************

• jenna8984 said:
    I don't really understand it.

It's just an old tradition in the New Orleans area. Kind of like the "first line" "second line" dance and bedazzled umbrellas which are seen at most weddings down there. There's no real point, just a random tradition for fun.
    FTFY 

My sister is from and got married in NOLA. She has no idea what these are either. Maybe it's just a certain type of crowd thing? I think if everyone there is familiar with this, it wouldn't be awkward at all - possibly a "know your crowd" kind of thing..

lol sorry that's what I meant!

• lcc14lcc14 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    My MOH is the only one NOT married, so the "next to marry" charm is really only for her...which I want her to get! Lol That's my only concern.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards