Maine

Planning - Starting to get stressed out...

We got engaged the week before Christmas and decided to get married this September (we want a fall wedding and did not want such a long engagement).  We have found and booked the venue and are about to sign the contract with the caterer. 

The problem is - although we will be able to come up with the cost of the wedding by the time of the wedding, we don't have it all upfront.  We are trying to stay away from credit cards as much as possible, and FI has pretty much decreed that he does not want to spend the money until we basically have it in hand.  Which makes sense.  This means that we will have to wait until at least April to book the photographer and the DJ.  I am stressing out at the idea that 5 months before the wedding is not enough time and that we won't be able to find anyone still available.

I know that some people are able to plan weddings in less time than that, and they find a way to do it, but both those vendors are really important to us (the photographer for obvious reasons and the DJ because I want to make sure people are dancing all night at our wedding). Does anyone know of anyone who has planned in that amount of time and was able to get vendors? Just knowing that it can be done would be so reassuring...
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Planning - Starting to get stressed out...

• edited December 2011
    I'm with you that certain vendors you don't want to wait for.  Look into DJ's because I don't think our deposit was too much at all - maybe a couple hundred dollars.  Our photographer was more, around $800 I think, but I booked them 16 months out - the second they started accepting reservations for my date.  So maybe the down payments are not as much as you expect and you can book them before April?  Or maybe even one of them?  There is a girl I workout with who is an early April bride and I know she just booked her photographer in November, but April does tend to be a slower month.  Don't stress though.  Do some research and see what kind of deposits these vendors require and see how long it will take you to save for them.  Maybe some will be flexible too if you explain what you are doing and offer to pay the down payment in installments.  It can't hurt to ask!   Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    Married 9.4.11
  • plato79plato79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure I have a recommendation for a DJ vendor, but for photography, Clare Norton is very well priced, doesn't require more than a few hundred dollars (and honestly if you explained things, she might negotiate it) and is excellently talented. I understand how frustrating that can be. We don't want to go into debt of any sort during this wedding planning. Good luck! I hope you can find some vendors with low deposits and good prices!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker June 3, 2011!
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting marry in September as well.  And, I spoke with my wedding coordinator at my venue, he said the most important righ tnow to lock down are photographer and DJ.  I agreed with the pp, do the research first and if you find one that you relaly like, they maybe able to work out a payment plan with you.  And where are you getting marry?
  • LHB2011LHB2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I will definitely look into them.  The photographer I'm slightly less nervous about because the one who is doing our engagement pics in New York (where we live) has offered to travel to Maine for us if we want to.  We're just waiting for the engagement photo shoot to see how that goes before comitting. But at least there is a back up. 

I will definitely start looking into DJs though, and post here how it goes!

Thanks again!

PS - JChow: we're getting marriedn in the Camden/Rockport area (Lincolnville specifically).  So... not a huge choice.  I guess there must be DJs out of Bangor/Augusta to look at though.  It might be a bit too far from Portland.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • meganyanimeganyani member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1st...are you getting married on 9-10-11? Then you probably will need to book some things further in advance.

The venue is probably what I'd worry most about, plus your dress. I planned a wedding near Bangor and honestly most of my vendors thought I came in way too early (6-7 months) for them! They could've done it with much less notice.
    Otherwise find out which downpayments you are able to afford and go from there.
  • edited December 2011
    I completely understand where you are coming from, althought i have way more time than you do I am soo stressed out and it seems like every price is higher than we estimated! Has anyone found a reasonable DJ? So far the lowest price I have been quoted is $800 and the highest 1500!
  • edited December 2011
    The DJ I'm using is Rod Gudroe out of Palmyra.  I've seen him at 2 weddings and he kept the dance floor going all night!  He is $450 for the first 4 hours and $100 for every additional hour (so basically $100/hr).  Then $50 to travel if it's far (i.e. from Palmyra to Peaks Island).  He was the best deal I could find and he was only a $50 deposit!  And I talked to him in October and just finally sent in my deposit a few weeks ago! 

Also my photographer, Jen Lamoreau is out of Poland.  Again the best price I could find, especially for her quality of work!  The deposit was $330 and I'm only paying $960 for the whole thing (including 6 hours of coverage, the cd, prints and a photobook).  If you want either of their contact info let me know!

Good luck!  Definitely find who you want and talk to them, they are people too and understand.  Maybe you can pay a smaller deposit if you offer to pay $X every month until the deposit they require is paid then pay the rest at the normal time? 
  • edited December 2011
    I know Rod Gudroe (small world), he did all of the dances at my high school growing up and he was my Middle School health teacher.  He likes to have fun!

I would recommend getting the photographer first, in my opinion they book up faster.  Clare Norton is a great and affordable option here in Maine and all the girls who have used her, love her!

I also agree with the PP, if your date is 9.10.11 then I would try to at least put all your deposits down, I know 3 people getting married on that date just in my area.

Good Luck and we're always here if you need us!
  • LHB2011LHB2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just spoke to Rod Gudroe and he is available on our date (9/24 thankfully - although personally I don't really get the whole 9/10/11 thing, but then again I'm from NYC so not a big fan of that time of year in general). And you were right, only a $50 deposit! So Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!

I'm going for the photographer next.  It won't be the end of the world to put one deposit on a credit card, especially since I know I can pay it off in the next couple of months.

Thank you ladies! It's so nice to know there is somwhere to come to when all this gets too stressful where people not only don't mind hearing about the problems, they actually want to help!!!

ETA: JChow- your guys were booked on the 24th, but thank you so much for the rec!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Glad to hear!  I was surprised myself about how little some vendors want for a deposit but hey, it works!  Good luck with you continued planning!
    Married 9.4.11
  • edited December 2011
    yay good i'm glad to hear it!! Check out Jen on fb! She has some great shots! Good luck with everthing!
  • edited December 2011
    No problem..  I live in NYC too, it can be difficult to plan remotely.  But so far so good for me.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards