DIY Wedding Forum

DIY Save the Date software

Hey DIY brides,
We got our engagement pictures back (LOVE THEM) and I am now working on creating our save the dates. I want to design them myself, and then just get them printed somewhere. What software have you used and liked in the past? I am on a MacBook Pro, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DIY Save the Date software

• I didn't use a picture for my Save the Dates but created them at work (work at Staples and used one of our postcard template - same setup as Vista Print and you can upload your images). For everything else I'm going with a very simple design and created them myself with Microsoft Word because I'm really good creating things in that program.
  • I'm a designer, so I use Adobe CS5 programs. You can get download a free trial of MS Office for Mac that'll work for about a month. If I were going to use that, I'd create them in MS Word because it's a print-geared program.

Let me know if you need help, or if there's an effect or something you'd want to add on that you can't do in word and I might be able to make it happen with photoshop. (No charge, I just to help.)
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I'm designing my own Save-the-Dates and invitations.

If you have access to Microsoft Office, I'd recommend using Powerpoint over Word. It allows more flexibility in manipulation of text and images in the same space and you can save as a high resolution jpeg so you don't lose any image quality. Also if you don't have access to Photoshop or the like, you can download a free open source program called Gimp. I used it to alter the color of an element of a design I got from Etsy that just wasn't quite right and the seller wouldn't do custom work. I have no design experience and I think they came out really great. Good luck with designing! It's so much fun!
  • I'm designing my own Save-the-Dates and invitations.

If you have access to Microsoft Office, I'd recommend using Powerpoint over Word. It allows more flexibility in manipulation of text and images in the same space and you can save as a high resolution jpeg so you don't lose any image quality. Also if you don't have access to Photoshop or the like, you can download a free open source program called Gimp. I used it to alter the color of an element of a design I got from Etsy that just wasn't quite right and the seller wouldn't do custom work. I have no design experience and I think they came out really great. Good luck with designing! It's so much fun!
    I have to ask, did you still buy the design from the etsy seller and just change the color on your own?
  • Yup, I bought her digital files and then color edited one of the elements so it would match my wedding colors.
  • Yup, I bought her digital files and then color edited one of the elements so it would match my wedding colors.

Good to know. :)
  • I would definitely suggest downloading a free trial of Adobe InDesign. It's a really great program to use for that type of thing, and your free trial would last about a month! :)
  • I'll second the other designers here, go with Adobe if at all possible (free trial ftw) If office is more your thing, try publisher or do word as @beethery said, PowerPoint isn't made for printing and can get wonky.
  • Thank you guys so much! I love everyone's input...now I have a lot to try out!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I designed mine on PowerPoint, I'm also a Mac user. It was super easy, and I am really pleased with how they turned out. I took ideas off Pinterest and Etsy. I am getting them printed at Costco, if you buy Costco frames, there is a coupon for 100 free 4x6 prints. I stashed the coupon for "someday" and am now printing all my save the dates for under $5.
  • Sorry- was playing around with moving a post!

• I made my save the dates using picmoney.com and then ordered them through gotprint.com. The premium version of Pic Monkey was around $30 for a year and 500 4x6 postcards from Got Print, including shipping, came to about $65. I just got them several weeks ago (yeah, I'm late in sending out my save the dates), and the quality is amazing! I'm going to use them for my invitations, programs, and thank-yous as well.
  • @Allilovesgus Which paper option did you use with gotprint?
  • @kimissodope I used the 16pt Dull Cover with Matte Finish. It was a sturdier cardstock that printed really well, and handled nicely in the mail. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards