Muslim Weddings
Options

Wedding Dress!

Assalamu Alaikum everyone!

So this is my first post in here.  I recently got engaged to my habibi, but I'm having trouble finding a good selection of 'Muslim' bridal gowns.  I'm a convert to Islam and there aren't any 'muslim marriage' resources here except for the internet.  I wear the hijab so I need a dress that is modest (but beautiful!) with long sleeves.  I keep seeing the same 8 or so Muslim gowns online, so I was hoping to get suggestions on other websites or places to look.

Thanks!
Salaam

Re: Wedding Dress!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am having the same "issue" with finding a gown that is modest. Can you afford to have a gown made or maybe have sleeves added to a gown you like. This is the option I am looking at. I want my dress to be very modest, as I will be wearing it here for my family and then in Tunisia for his family.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think i'm just going to rent a dress.  I live in Washington but my wedding is going to be in Texas where my Habibi and his family is.  They have a large Muslim community there so hopefully I'll find one there!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    U can have certain dress designers "build up" the dress for u which means like Adding fabric to the neck area n sleeves. Casablanca does this but they are a little pricey U can also wear a bolero
  • Options
    Khadijah1330Khadijah1330 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Assalamu Alaykum Sisters!!

Check out this  website: alibaba.com

There are quite a few Muslim wedding dresses, that take less than 30 days to have shipped to you. They are customized to your measurements, and color choice.

Shukran!
  • Options
    acutee2acutee2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Wa alaykum assalaam sister,

I am also a convert who recently got engaged. I have a second challenge of being a plus sized muslimah. I decided to wear my mom's 1980's victorian style wedding dress. I am the same dress size she was and it hasfull length ballon sleeves and a high colar. I is a sweetheart neckline in the front but my scarf will cover it. I am even using parts of the dress I am hemming off to create my underscarf, scarf, and then wedding veil. So my advice is go vintage. If you have no issue with used wedding dresses I would go to vintage stores, thift shops, and goodwills. You can find over done 1980's dresses that will be perfect after some of the appliques and puffiness is removed, then have it tailored to fit, and poof! You will have a gorgerous 'new' modest wedding gown your habibi will love and you can still honor Allah SWT. Please post pick with whatever you decide!

Ma'assalaama 

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Wa alaikum asalaam, sisters. I had the SAME issue, but oddly enough, my NON-MUSLIM grandma found a site with TONS of hijab wedding gowns. And you have the option of getting them in different colours too (even if the picture shows as white, the one I chose has 12 colour options) and they ship world-wide.

http://www.artsywedding.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Muslim

This will take you to a search. Insha'Allah you guys will find things you like. AND these are all very affordable. Some of them are even layered so you can keep the under-abaya for Eid events later.
  • Options
    Sister, acutee2, I'm also plus sized. The website I posted above has dresses for people from size 2 to size 28. Insha'Allah this is within your range. All the gowns are made to the specifications of how you order. I'm so happy with mine, alhamdulilah. I wear a size 22, so finding beautiful gowns was no simple measure.
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Wedding Dress!:

Thanks! That is so sweet of your grandmother!  I could not get the link to work, could you repost it?
  • Options
    My wedding planner at Elite(b)Events (who is also Muslim) custom made my cousin her dress (who converted) Before my cousin had decided to convert she was in love with an eve of milady gown. After she converted she was a little bummed she couldn't wear her dream dress so I asked Shea if she could help with my cousins dress (she also did my dress) and she was able to design that same gown only now the neckline came up to her collar bone and it had sleeves as well. So she couldn't be more ecstatic. It also helped that Shea made her the gown for less than the actual retail price of 5,500 even with the sleeves and added neckline. So maybe see if she could help you guys out as well!
  • Options
    My wedding planner at Elite(b)Events (who is also Muslim) custom made my cousin her dress (who converted) Before my cousin had decided to convert she was in love with an eve of milady gown. After she converted she was a little bummed she couldn't wear her dream dress so I asked Shea if she could help with my cousins dress (she also did my dress) and she was able to design that same gown only now the neckline came up to her collar bone and it had sleeves as well. So she couldn't be more ecstatic. It also helped that Shea made her the gown for less than the actual retail price of 5,500 even with the sleeves and added neckline. So maybe see if she could help you guys out as well!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards