Connecticut

Affordable photographers

Hi Knotties! 

We're looking for photographers for our July 2015 wedding, and I've found several I like, but they are all at least $3000. Our budget was $2000. Is $3000 just the going rate or are there more affordable photographers out there? Also, some mention on their websites that that they will work with your budget. What does this mean? Are certain aspects of wedding photography packages negotiable?

Thanks so much for your help! 

Re: Affordable photographers

• $3K is about the going rate from my research.  Certain aspects are usually negotiable.

I found that many photographers were happy to negotiate within reason and/or to customize packages to help meet or get us closer to our budget.  I always made sure to never come across like I expected something for nothing.  For instance, I didn't say "you're a grand too high, can you come down on that?" and instead I would say "our budget is closer to x, are there things we could remove from the package to get closer to that budget?"  

We are using TAB Photographic (Tim Brown) who is AMAZING to work with and he was more than happy to work out the package to help us stay within our budget. http://www.wedding-photographers-in-ct.com/index2.php#/home/  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lindsay Vigue Photography is great and is actually about $2000. She gives you the rights to your photographs and will then help you create your prints/albums or you can do it yourself. On facebook she is Lindsay Vigue Photography and here's her website http://www.lindsayviguephotography.com/ She's a doll to work with
    October 2014 Brides - July Siggy Challenge: Cakes
  • We are using Michael Orzell. He originally is charging us $1730 but gave us a 15% discount for shooting at a venue he hasnt shot at before. So we are paying a little over $1500.  He's worked with On Point images and has a pretty nice portfolio.

• demkoj1demkoj1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2014
    We used Mike from Image in that studios for our wedding. (http://www.imageinthatstudios.com/). He was so easy to work with, well priced (about $1700), and we got our images back within a week of our wedding! I could not have been happier using him. 
  • We're also using TAB Photographic, and he has been AMAZING so far. I did the exact same thing as @CTYankeeBride - told Tim what we wanted, and what we didn't need, and he worked it out for us to get within budget. He's also an absolutely PHENOMENAL photographer, so we were willing to up our budget a little bit because he's totally worth it.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• KateandDan29KateandDan29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2014
    Check out Lights Camera Dj's. We have a complete package for $2500 they are located in Milford, CT
  • We're also using TAB Photographic, and he has been AMAZING so far. I did the exact same thing as @CTYankeeBride - told Tim what we wanted, and what we didn't need, and he worked it out for us to get within budget. He's also an absolutely PHENOMENAL photographer, so we were willing to up our budget a little bit because he's totally worth it.
    Same here, and after we met with him it was impossible for me to think about booking anyone else.  We met with a lot of photographers both in and out of our price range and even if our budget was triple what it is, I would be booking Tim. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Same here, and after we met with him it was impossible for me to think about booking anyone else.  We met with a lot of photographers both in and out of our price range and even if our budget was triple what it is, I would be booking Tim. 
    I was already SO excited that we booked him, and you just made me even more excited. We haven't met him yet, just corresponded through email and phone, but we're meeting with him next weekend, and I can't wait!

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• You can't not love him! I absolutely love the way he describes what he does- that he's being invited into your day.  He really loves what he does, and his work shows it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh, and just so I don't completely hijack the post, I have had two friends use Lindsay Vigue and she does beautiful work. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have you looked in adjacent states?  We're using Andrea Jay Photography (found her on the knot, and a friend is using her too, she's out of RI, but travels), she's in the $2k range. 
  • malynamalyna member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    My hubby and I used Derek Halkett for our cultural ceremony and will be using him again for the American wedding. $1999 for 6 hours - you get an extra discount if you mention that I referred you and end up booking!
  • we used scott dery from ct weddingvideo.com aka worner bros video and photography he was amazing we paid 1600 for full coverage starting from my parents house church photos and reception we had him for 8 hours. working with him was amazing. his response time to emails and stuff was great, he was on time to my parents house he took amazing photos and i would recommend him to anyone who is looking for affordable photos. we got married at the end of june and our photos will be ready soon i cant wait to see the final pictures 
  • Jas801Jas801 member
    First Comment
    We are using Mama Behind the Lens photography, she's a newer vendor out of eastern CT and her rates are still great as she builds her portfolio!
  • I booked Claudia. www.hellofabuluxe.com she has a $2k package
  • We are using Artsinfotos (self owned) for our wedding next month. We are getting it at a steal ($700) because we originally find him on Craigslist a year before the wedding. He starts at $1500 but he may have discounted prices floating around CL. He is based out of Florida but does weddings/events around New England in the summer. The only downside is he doesn't have a 2nd shooter up here.

http://www.artsinfotos.com/
  • We just got married and used Barbara at Eric Brushett. http://www.photographyeb.com/ .. send me a personal message & i can send you the link for our pics
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards