Registry and Gift Forum

International Registry

Hi Everyone,

Need some advice on the best route to go for my registry. My fiance and I live in London, however our families live in different countries. We'll be getting married in the US, as well as having the bridal shower there. Since I can't be flying back to London with steak knives and pots, I'm wondering what's the best way to have my guests buy me gifts?

Are there certain registries where guests can buy an item but it's delivered to London? Would requesting gift cards for certain stores work? Or should I just request cash? 

Any ideas would be great!

Re: International Registry

• Firstly, you shouldn't request anything-that is rude. Definitely not gift cards- not only is it begging for money, but cards bought internationally will not work in all stores. 

There are only three rules to showers:

1.) Everyone invited to the shower must be invited to the wedding
    2.) Showers are for boxed gifts only. No gift cards, money, honeymoon etc.
    3.) The bride must open all gifts at the shower.

It is your responsibility to ship the gifts no matter what. Therefore if you don't want to pay for shipping of the gifts you open at the shower, I would suggest declining the shower and turning this into a non-gift giving bridal luncheon. There is no polite way to invite someone to buy you a shower gift and then instruct them to make sure it is sent elsewhere beforehand. What are you going to open? A picture of the gift? Awkward!

As for the wedding, try registering at John Lewis or Amazon.co.uk if you want physical gifts. You will pay import duty on any new item bought in the States and shipped to the UK. The best course of action may be doing a small registry at a US shop for gifts you can ship/ pay for an extra suitcase. Most people will get the hint and give you cash. But you will need to decline all showers. 
  • Those are good ideas. I questioned the point of having a shower just because of the physical gift aspect and the difficulty of getting it over. It'll be more about convincing my family members that a shower isn't necessary! 
  • Those are good ideas. I questioned the point of having a shower just because of the physical gift aspect and the difficulty of getting it over. It'll be more about convincing my family members that a shower isn't necessary! 
    Suggest they host a bridal luncheon or tea instead, when they offer a shower. These are not gift giving events, but everyone could still celebrate your upcoming nuptials and spend time with you.

If they insist on a shower - only register in the US for lightweight items that you can ship back yourself or things that are OK to pack on an airplane. Linens, towels, utensils, curtains, rugs, picture frames, board games - stuff like that.

If it is just your family planning and attending the shower, they might be planning ahead and getting a group gift that will be shipped home, but present you with a photo or something. I wouldn't stress about it, just don't register for anything you aren't willing to pay to ship back or pack in your luggage. GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Thank you @photokitty! That's a wonderful idea. I've always personally thought showers were too rigid and dreaded the thought of having to plan one, but a bridal luncheon or tea sounds right up my alley. Plus that way, there isn't the traditional "open the gifts" part that everyone expects. We can make it work for us. 

I was also thinking the same thing about family members getting a group gift that I can get in the UK. Most of my family and friends understand this issue, and I think they'll be much more open to something like that. I was just looking to see if there were any other options in regards to people having showers/weddings in different areas than where they live. 

I will definitely be using these ideas! Thank you so much! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards