Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Hair and Make Up questions

I have a few questions about hair and makeup and I'm not sure where to start. I wanted to have someone do hair and makeup for myself and my bridal party and have decided on a few places that can do it on location. My bridal party wasn't too hot on the prices even after I offered to pay for some of it, so we found a salon that can do it for a fraction of the cost. My first question would be do I want to have my hair and makeup done on location or at the salon? My wedding will take place about 25 miles away from the salon, so I'm not sure if that is significant or not. I would appreciate any advice from those with experience. I originally thought that my bridesmaids could do their own hair and makeup but the styles I have in mind for them they might not be able to do. Then one of my bridesmaids shares that she isn't too keen on spending money on something she could do herself. It has been very frustrating... So, I guess my only questions is where should I have the hair and makeup done! THANKS!!!

Re: Hair and Make Up questions

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    .......the styles I have in mind for them......?? OP, please do not be the micromanaging bride that would go so far as to dictate hairstyles for your bridesmaids. Their hair style has absolutely NO bearing on your wedding. Let them look and feel their best by wearing a hairstyle of THEIR choosing. If you dictate the hairstyle, then you should pay for it.
  • To reiterate what MobKaz said- if you have a "style in mind for them" then you should be paying for all of it. If you can be flexible, I would let them choose their own hair and makeup, especially since they have all already indicated that they were not happy with the original cost...

• I have a few questions about hair and makeup and I'm not sure where to start. I wanted to have someone do hair and makeup for myself and my bridal party and have decided on a few places that can do it on location. My bridal party wasn't too hot on the prices even after I offered to pay for some of it, so we found a salon that can do it for a fraction of the cost. My first question would be do I want to have my hair and makeup done on location or at the salon? My wedding will take place about 25 miles away from the salon, so I'm not sure if that is significant or not. I would appreciate any advice from those with experience. I originally thought that my bridesmaids could do their own hair and makeup but the styles I have in mind for them they might not be able to do. Then one of my bridesmaids shares that she isn't too keen on spending money on something she could do herself. It has been very frustrating... So, I guess my only questions is where should I have the hair and makeup done! THANKS!!!

You can get your hair done wherever you want to. Your BM's need not get their hair done at all, unless you are paying for 100% of it. Leave them alone.
  • 1. Leave pro hair and makeup entirely optional for the bridesmaids UNLESS you are willing to pay for the whole shebang. I sent my girls a pricing list from the salon I chose for myself and said, "These people will be on hand to do hair and makeup at this price; up to you if you want to use their services, go somewhere else, or DIY."

2. Since you wont be forcing your girls to get H&MU done, go with the styling team you like best - whether that's the on location one or the salon. I personally found it easier to have the stylist team come to us. The salon placed a $10 surcharge on every service to do it on location; for me, it was worth it.

3. Please, please, please for the love of all that is holy, do not dictate styles or makeup. Trust that your friends know what looks ok on them. You may see a gorgeous updo online, but that doesn't mean it will look good on all your girls. Trust me, no one gives a damn about bridesmaid hair. Let them do what they want.
  • I agree with all the PPs. But in answer to your specific question, have the stylist come to the hotel or wherever it is you'll be getting ready. The driving time may not seem like a big deal right now, but on the big day trying to get yourself and a whole group of girls organized and out the door to make it to an appointment on time is going to be more stress than it's worth. It will be much easier on you to just stay put and lounge around in your robe and let them come to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards