Getting in Shape
Options

I need an *extreme* work out and diet!

Ok, so I'm getting married in like, 186 days! I weigh 123 lbs, but I'm really short so it ALL carries in my stomach, face, and legs. An appropriate weight for my height would be about 100-105 pounds. Can anyone recommend and extreme diet/exercise regiment to follow so I can lose weight and tone up, please??
thanks!!

Re: I need an *extreme* work out and diet!

• Options
    Track your calories using something like MyFitnessPal, eat clean (no processed foods, get your carbs from foods like sweet potatoes, avoid heavy dairy like cheese, focus on green veggies and lean meats), exercise (cardio and weights).  Healthy weight loss is usually 1-2lbs per week max, and you've got ~26 weeks, so you really don't need to do something "EXTREME" like you are asking for. 

What have you done in the past, what's your current workout routine, and how do you normally eat?
  • Options
    I don't really work out much, just walk to work (1.8 miles) a few times a day. My diet isn't too terrible, but not the best.
  • Options
    kebebbkebebb member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    21 day fix from beachbody helped me lose several pounds and inches over 3 weeks. of course, I fell back into my crappy habits a couple weeks after I did it, so it's a moot point. Starting it up again this week with the intention of not actually quitting after 21 days.
  • Options
    Agree with PPs. You have enough time not to do anything "extreme" (which almost always reads DANGEROUS to me). I like HIIT (high-intensity interval training) because it'll kick your ass, work every muscle in your body, and get your cardio in all in a short amount of time. 

Diet is crucial--it sounds like you have a similar body composition to me, with all the fat landing right in the gut. It's the worst! Do eat whole, "real" foods rather than processed, and I also recommend My Fitness Pal for tracking what you eat and keeping your overall calories in check. I would also add that cutting back on sugar, especially refined, white sugar, has helped me with the belly fat AND with cravings. I don't know what it is about sugar (and white bread), but if I eat it I start feeling hungry ALL the time and my resolve is weakened. If I cut it out, suddenly I can feel hungry, but still have something resembling willpower. Your mileage may vary.

Because you are already small and don't have a TON of weight to lose, be prepared to work pretty hard, and be prepared to plateau. I usually get to that "last 5 pounds" mark and just. Can't. Get there. On the other hand, being 5 pounds away from your goal means you're probably still in good shape (literally and figuratively). 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    love05312014love05312014 member
    Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Weigh, measure, and track everything you eat or drink using Myfitnesspal, start a progressive heavy lifting program, and eat at a slight caloric deficit. The "search" function on the MFP Forum will be your new BFF. You have plenty of time to lower your body fat percentage. Don't try any crash diets please!

Edited to add: You can eat whatever foods you want as long as you are in a caloric deficit. Don't worry about eating "clean" as another poster mentioned. It's not for everyone. I eat gelato, drink wine, or have chocolate any day of the week I want and I still meet my macro and caloric requirement every day. I've lost 60.2 pounds since 9/2013 and do not ever feel deprived. 
  • Options
    cassghcassgh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I've been doing Beachbody's Insanity program for the past year and a half and I love doing it.  It keeps me toned and in shape.  The only down side is that it can be kind of pricey to purchase (although I have seen the program being sold on ebay brand new for less than $50) and you really have to enjoy pounding your body like that.  Also, you need to stick to their diet plan that comes with it or a similar one (I didn't care for the meals they had with the accompanying book and so I use the meals out of the New Abs Diet Cookbook) otherwise you won't get results as fast.  It can be kind of tough to get into.  When I first started I though I was in pretty decent shape, but the workout kicked my butt and I had to take a break at least half a dozen times during just the warm up.  You get used to it pretty fast, though.  I've also tried P90X, but I think Insanity is better.  It's definitely not for everybody, but if you feel like you are up to it, I really enjoy doing it so I definitely recommend it.
  • Options
    atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    Right before my wedding, I dropped another 7 lbs on this diet: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/258816309805634702/ (link not showing!) Sorry--edited to include that detail. Google "10 lbs. in 7 days" or "Eat Your Heart Out Diet." I'm not saying it's safe or right for you, but it sure worked for me. [IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/2ywzcd2.png[/IMG]
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I did the eat your heart out diet a year or so ago and lost 7 pounds in a week... it's just not sustainable, you gain it all back as soon as you start eating.  However, if you want to do it the week before your wedding or another event it may work.
  • Options
    I love love love T25 and 21 day fix...had great results.  I'm actually starting a bridal challenge group to help brides stay motivated in getting into great shape for the big day!  These two programs are options for this group.  Would you all be interested in that?  I can send you details if you'd like.
  • Options
    Right before my wedding, I dropped another 7 lbs on this diet: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/258816309805634702/ (link not showing!) Sorry--edited to include that detail. Google "10 lbs. in 7 days" or "Eat Your Heart Out Diet." I'm not saying it's safe or right for you, but it sure worked for me. [IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/2ywzcd2.png[/IMG]

I tried this diet and it made me MISERABLE. I eat pretty well usually (no caffeine, limited sugar and bread, mostly fruits/veg/meat) but this diet gave me terrible headaches. I had to quit on day three.

Now I'm just counting calories...it's tedious but works! I'm down 22lbs since April 9.

• Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper

I tried this diet and it made me MISERABLE. I eat pretty well usually (no caffeine, limited sugar and bread, mostly fruits/veg/meat) but this diet gave me terrible headaches. I had to quit on day three.

Now I'm just counting calories...it's tedious but works! I'm down 22lbs since April 9.

I also did this diet once and it was manageable the first time, I made it through the 7 days, except on day 7 the soup was so disgusting that I just repeated day 6. I lost 7 pounds! I tried to do it again about a year later and couldn't even survive a day. I don't know if it was my mindset or what, but it was impossible. It's important to note that the 7 pounds I lost just came back on within about 3 weeks of eating a normal diet again. It may be a good diet a few days before a big event if you just want to feel good in a dress, but not for sustainability.
  • Options
    Your best bet is always going to be something you can sustain longterm. For a lot of people that's My Fitness Pal or Weight Watchers, but I'm sure there are a number of other things. I have found my personal experience is, a calorie is a calorie - if I want a beer, I have a beer, but that means I don't get dessert after dinner, or I have to cut back a portion somewhere else to balance it out. When you try to do something extreme, like deprive yourself of certain foods, the likelihood of binging later on increases significantly. Things like the "Eat Your Heart Out" diet are also banking on you cutting large amounts of calories in a short amount of time, so yeah, you cut weight.... but it can be damaging to your metabolism and is the reason why most people just gain the weight right back.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I think that you should try doing some regular cardio and start following a proper diet regime, Try eating foods full of proteins and carbohydrates. Make sure that you hardly consume any fats during the course of time. Also ensure that you drink plenty of water.

• Options
    I agree with pp.'s about not doing anything extreme.

If you want to eat healthy, lose weight and have energy, try making some of the following changes:
    Replacing bad carbs with steel cut oats (not oatmeal), brown rice and sweet potatoes.  Quinoa is also good.

If you are working out, you should also add some type of protein shake or superfood shake.

Make sure that you don't cut too many calories or your body will go into preservation mode and you will not lose weight.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Extreme is going to backfire I know I used to have an eating disorder. Your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to anything it gets which equals a plateau which equals minimal weight loss. The best thing to do would be to go on my fitness pal and track your calories. Eat whole food (not pre packaged diet food) and make a calorie deficit and alternate cardio with weight training. Muscle burns more calories than fat and being tone is way more attractive than what I've heard called "skinny fat".

Also the weight ranges for heights are much bigger ranges. For example I'm 5'3" and the healthy weight range for me is 104-141. Bone structure will change which weight looks good on everyone, but I know that 104 will be much too low for me because at 107 I start looking skeletal and scare people. I think maybe you should take a look at what exactly you are trying to achieve, why, and will a number on the scale really make you happy.

ETA I noticed someone posted not worrying about what you eat just create a deficite. I disagree because the pre-packaged "diet" food is full of sodium which will 1- bloat you and 2- cause you to retain water and feel miserable. Also those portions are so small it may not satisfy the appitete quiet like a homemade whole food meal. Also when your body is not getting the vitamins it needs it can cause you to have intense cravings making sticking to a diet even harder. I'm not saying all pre-packaged food is bad but relying solely on frozen meals high in sodium may cause the weight to come off even slower.
  • Options
    21 day fix from beach body is your best bet. I used it after having a baby and was back to original weight in about 4 weeks. Let me know if you have questions
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards