Not Engaged Yet

Relationships with SO's

2»

Re: Relationships with SO's

• eilis1228 said:
    @severmilli12 I've been all lovey dovey with FI today as I read these threads. He's probably like, "What on earth is she doing at work?" 

I'm pretty sure all of our SOs are getting laid tonight. lol.
    TRUTH!
    Anniversary

• I love this thread!

FI and I have dinner together almost every night. For a while we did "weekday date night" once a week, but we only go once every few weeks now that we're saving for the wedding. Lately we've been hiking together every weekend which we love.

We're pretty competitive, and have gotten into tennis and ping-pong (we go to a ping pong bar in the city!). We also play board games and scrabble pretty regularly.

Since I started this new job, we usually check in with eachother with a phone call once or twice during the day. It seems silly, but even if it's just for two minutes I like hearing how his day is going and deciding what we're going to do that evening.

And my favorite - we sleep naked. It started almost 3 years ago when, on a whim, I said "Hey, we should sleep naked!" and we did and have been doing so ever since!
    I can't do this. I love wearing clothes (minus bras and pants) if I could sleep in a t-shirt and underwear then I would be fine forever.
  • I can't sleep totally naked, I have to have undies on. H will NOT sleep without clothes on at all. He has to have boxer briefs and a tshirt on. I wish he'd sleep shirtless with me :(

• We do a lot of our projects together, like with the move, home improvement, etc. Also, we have lunch together every day - it's nice to get that mid-day check-in and talk about our days so far. It also lets us clue in to about when we'll each be done for the day (we carpool since we work reasonably close together and are too frugal for two parking passes to the same damn campus).

And we always cuddle before we fall asleep.
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We chat on GChat throughout the day when we're both at work. We tend to check in with each other about how we slept first thing (we rarely get up at the same time on work days, and each of us sleeps through the other person getting up and leaving). We have silly, pointless conversations, send each other links, talk about plans for the rest of the evening, etc.

When we see each other at the end of the day (either when the second person gets home from work, the gym, a friend's house, etc, or when we meet up after work), we ask the other person how their day was, even when we've been chatting.

We always thank the other person for cleaning or cooking. It's definitely a habit, so I thank him automatically, but honestly, I'm always happy when I can eat actual food or when the apartment's cleaner and I didn't have to do anything.

We make it a point to check in when one of us is invited to something to see if the other person can come as well. It's not constant; J knows that if one of my friends wants to get drinks with me after work that it's a me-and-the-friend thing. But if a group of my friends is meeting up, I check and see if SOs are invited.

We have a bunch of media-related projects that we share together. We're slowly going through a bunch of TV shows together; we have a list of shows that one of us has watched and loved, but the other one hasn't. We're almost done with the original show list, but we keep adding new shows all the time, including ones neither of us has seen. We're kind of doing the same thing with movies and books, but it's less frequent. We're also playing through all of the Legend of Zelda games together, which has been a blast. There's been some good-natured arguing over who gets to "drive" which game, but I'm satisfied with how it's worked out (I get to drive the best games).

We have a bedtime ritual with our bird, where J picks him up first and says goodnight while I start turning lights off, and then I take my turn saying goodnight, and we lock and cover the cage together. It's been going on for a while now. I always, always say goodnight to birdo the same way every night, and I have since I adopted him, and now he's adjusted to having a bedtime routine with both of us. In fact, if I pick him up to say goodnight first, he leans towards J, and then insists on coming back to me after J says goodnight.

We alert the other person when we're taking showers because about 50% of the time, we shower together. We don't always go to bed at the same time, but we inevitably wake the other person up, so we always have a chance to say goodnight.

We also sleep naked, but that's mostly because J's been doing that for years, and it felt silly sleeping in clothes while he didn't. So now I get super uncomfortable when I have to wear clothes to bed.

We do date "nights" only about once a month, mostly due to finances. But it's fun when we do. We also try to meet once every month or so for lunch; our schedules during the day are terrible, so even though we work on the same campus, it's rare that we both have time for lunch at the same time. I'm happy, though, because we had a chance to get lunch together today.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Seriously, sleeping in just undies is the best. Sometimes pants/shorts are just too hot, dangit!
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Seriously, sleeping in just undies is the best. Sometimes pants/shorts are just too hot, dangit!
    I wish I never had a need for pants. I just hate them.

• We make random noises at each other, I love how we can be goofy with each other.

When we say I love you, we ask each other how much. Then say so much and ask what's so much? Yeah we are annoying ha.

We leave little notes and post-it notes to each other too, and have date nights.

Plus we make each other coffee all the time.
  • We make random noises at each other, I love how we can be goofy with each other.

When we say I love you, we ask each other how much. Then say so much and ask what's so much? Yeah we are annoying ha.

We leave little notes and post-it notes to each other too, and have date nights.

SITB!!!

@LaPeanut1018 and I do this basically anytime we make contact with each other. Even on the phone, we answer by screaming.

SITB!!!

@LaPeanut1018 and I do this basically anytime we make contact with each other. Even on the phone, we answer by screaming.
    We always joke that if people heard us, they would be so confused/scared. Its either hissing noises, farara, and or mmmmsss. We mix it up but those our standbys. Plus we get each other things like snacks ha
  • We only sleep naked after sex. FI walks around naked all the time though, haha. I usually sleep in a t-shirt & underoos. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We only sleep naked after sex. FI walks around naked all the time though, haha. I usually sleep in a t-shirt & underoos. 
    We always sleep naked because it initiates sex! As far as I'm concerned, being next to a naked person you're extremely attracted to makes it hard not to touch. It's how we keep it to 6-7 times a week.
  • We do a lot of the same things you guys have mentioned -

We thank each other for the things we do around the house.

We hold hands while falling asleep.

We "Check-in" throughout the day with each other.

There are no boundaries in our conversations.

When we moved in together we made sure that we would still make a conscious effort to have date night. We generally get at least one "us-time" night a week, if not more. 

We are very supportive of each others hobbies and passions.

We put up with each others TV shows - and try to watch most of our shows together - even though there are a few that are "his" and a few that are "Mine" (BTW - he's totally in love with Return to Amish and The Bachelorette)

We tell each other "I love you" multiple times a day and especially before bed, when whoever leaves first in the morning, and when getting off the phone.

We kiss as soon as we see each other, before bed, before leaving in the morning, and whenever we feel like it.

We just started a 'No TV on during dinner" rule. I love this rule so far. Even if its for 15 minutes of eating - we have each others undivided attention. 

Generally showing each other how much we care about and appreciate the other person - not taking them for granted.
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• FI always calls me when he's leaving work.  I work 7:30-4:30, he works 8:30-5:30.  Sometimes I will label this as annoying because he won't get over to my house until 6:30-7:00ish and I look at it as an 'interruption of my time', but if he didn't call I'd also get mad, can't win (it's mostly his timing, he always tends to call when I'm in the middle of something - dishes or feeding the dogs or something).

FI waits for me to fall asleep before going to bed when he's over.  Mostly because it takes me FOREVER to get comfy and he gets in the way of this 'process'. 

We always say good night to each other - even if it is over a text.

Anniversary
  • I saw this thread start yesterday and then my day went to hell and I didn't get to play!

FI and I do a lot of the same things that you guys do. We thank each other for everything: he always always thanks me for making dinner (which I appreciate because I do all of the cooking), I always thank him for a date night or helping me clean or whatever. We try to have a date night once a week; we don't always go out, but even if we just plan to order in and watch a movie we try to make time every week to give ourselves some down time together.

We both go out of our way to do nice things for each other. He'll bring me flowers or a cupcake or something if I've had a crappy day, I'll pick up his favorite candy just because, stuff like that.

We text each other a LOT during the day. That was actually part of his proposal, and it made me laugh right out loud. He'll send me pictures of his job site and stuff and I'll tell him about the goings on in my office. But then we always ask how each other's day was, even if we've already heard a lot of it.

And we just do a lot of stuff together. Groceries and errands and stuff, even though we don't live together, and we'll watch each other's shows (he totally wants to know what happens at the end of the Bachelorette...he's sucked into it!). And we're working through catching up on seasons of shows that the other person likes, if one of us hasn't seen it.

I am trying to implement a no phones during dinner rule. I don't mind if we're looking at something online together, or if he's showing me pictures of something, but I get annoyed when that turns into him checking twitter. So we're working on that!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• When H has late night hockey game he usually orders some kind of take out for himself and he will usually bring me home some kind of desert ot treat.  I got a black and white cookies last night :-)

Anniversary

• We say thank you all the time. I've had people look at me like I'm nuts after I thanked him do buying dinner. (We swap back and forth who pays for what)

When we are sitting on the couch, we will hold hands

We try to go to lunch together on the days he is in the office.

He is so encouraging with me trying to get healthier, and working out. And not in a jerky way.

We just really support each other- we give each other space when needed and do a lot of stuff together
  • @GoldenPenguin I fully intended to, but we were so exhausted by the end of the night that we just laid on the couch and cuddled. I actually tried to get up a few times and fold laundry and pack more boxes, but FI wouldn't let go. Very sweet, but tonight I'm bound and determined to get laid. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @GoldenPenguin : Got naked for bed in our room with newly installed portable air conditioning unit. . . Went to town, with muuuuuch less sweat involved. . . I am a happy lady.
  • I have spent the last 8 months hanging out over in "chit chat" (not a newb) and today I stumbled over here and am enthralled by all of you sassypants ladies and discussions. It's like a whole new world (queue Aladdin gif) @severmilli12 I know and love you from the September board.

@tuarceatha I am your husband's long lost twin. I also make the grocery list with predetermined meals, grab every item, know exactly where it all is in the store and make the list according to aisle, and justify the overage in the bill by the addition of cat litter this week. LOL. FI just pushes and follows but we love it and never miss the Sunday morning shopping together. 

Everything else same as you guys- always kiss goodbye before work, always text to say love you when we've gotten to work, always kiss goodnight, always say thanks for dinner, technology free date nights, etc 

• BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    @goldenpenguin I love that you call your underwear underoos, that is what I call them :) 

MY fi and I have been together 12  1/2 years and we still have things that we stick to that I think helps keep us strong.

When we are in bed we always cuddle, hold hands until we fall asleep but he always has to be touching me, even if it's just his foot pressed against mine.  While I was unemployed we tried to be a little more frugal so our date nights got fewer and far between. We always like to get dressed up and have a night to ourselves at a nice restaurant and our daughter tucked away at one of the grandparents' house, nice dinner and sex always.  

We also always say thank you for everything, I'm huge on showing and feeling appreciation. I really love the idea of banning cell phones on date nights... I always tell my fi to put his phone away at the dinner table, I think it's disrespectful and I think it gives the appearance that he doesn't appreciate or respect me in front of other restaurant patrons.
  • @jenna8984‌ hi!!! We are pretty entertaining on this board :)
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards