Not Engaged Yet
Options

Let's do this.

I stole this from GBCN, but we haven't done it in a while and we have a lot of a new people.  What do you all sound like?!

I'm originally from NJ and have lived in PA, VA, and FL since then.  My accent is therefore messed up.

So, go to vocaroo.com and read the following/answer the following questions and post your link!

Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught, Pillow, Milk, Vague, Bag, Feel, House, Peony, Cloud, Bagel, Sorry, Room, Roof, Grow, Bead, Zoo, Pull, Cup, Realtor, Towel, Boat, Lure, Florida, Orange, Drawer

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
What do you call gym shoes?
Where do you shop for groceries?
What do you say to address a group of people?
What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
What do you call your grandparents?
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
What is the thing you change the TV channel with?

Here's me!

Feel free to add words as necessary.  I added Florida, Orange, and Drawer because I apparently say them funny.
I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton

Re: Let's do this.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Fun! No mike so I'll have to do it later if I find a headset (gods help me with this move ...) -- can't wait to hear what people sound like! I can answer the questions on local terms, though:

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? TP-ing
    Pillbug
    What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? Pop
    What do you call gym shoes? Tennis shoes
    Where do you shop for groceries? Grocery store
    What do you say to address a group of people? Hi; in reference, you plural (yes I'm weird) or y'all
    What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? Daddy long legs
    What do you call your grandparents? Grandma and Grandpa
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? Shopping cart
    What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? Sunshower
    What is the thing you change the TV channel with? Remote control

ETA: I grew up in the Northern Plains.
  • Options
    TPing
    roll polly
    Coke
    tennis shoes
    Grocery STore lol
    Hey 
    What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
    Daddy long legs
    Grandma and Grandpa
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
    Buggy
    Weird 
    Remote Control
  • Options
    I don't have a recorder at home but you can hear my voice here...LINK

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? TP-ing
    Armadillo bug
    What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? Soda
    What do you say to address a group of people? Hi (informal), Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone (formal)
    What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? Daddy long legs
    What do you call your grandparents? Grandma and Grandpa
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? Grocery cart
    What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? Wierd
    What is the thing you change the TV channel with? Remote control

• Options
    joy14bwjoy14bw member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    My work is restricting the site so I can only answer the questions

I'm from Texas and was brought up by my parents in the country and Grandparents in the city.

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?  Wrapping a house
    rolly polly
    What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? coke
    What do you say to address a group of people? Hey  y'all
    What do you call your grandparents? Gram and Granddad
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? grocery cart
    What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? Freak of nature.
    What is the thing you change the TV channel with? Remote

• Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    I have to wait till I'm home for the mic-requiring part, but for now:

ETA: For reference, I grew up in suburban MA. Parents also grew up in suburban MA but were born in the DMV area. I don't have a distinctive New England accent and grew up in a household that didn't use a lot of New England terminology (e.g. I grew up saying "milkshake" instead of "frappe").

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? TPing a house
    What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? Pillbug
    What do you call gym shoes? Sneakers
    What do you say to address a group of people? Depends on the group. When it's friends, I say, "guys," and when I'm being professional, it's "folks," or, "everyone"
    What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? Daddy long-legs
    What do you call your grandparents? Call paternal grandparents Grammy and Papa. How I address my maternal grandparents is so distinctive I'd rather not post it
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? Cart
    What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? Sun shower. Or, "What the fuck, New England?"
    What is the thing you change the TV channel with? Clicker

Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    @minskat30 OMG THE TEARS
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    @phira I grew up watching the Red Sox announcers on TV in NJ...a lot. And I shiver at the thought of a Red Sox Boston accent, lol. But...really? A frappe and a milkshake are TOTALLY different in my book. Like I would like a milkshake, but a frappe has coffee in it so ew?
  • Options
    I'll have to do the voice thing later too, since I don't have a mic here at work :( Sounds fun though!

TPing

Rolli Polli

pop

tennis shoes

grocery store

hey

granddaddy long legs

grandma and papaw

cart

sunshower

remote control...but for whatever reason, I call it a remote conchanger.... -_-
    Anniversary

• Options
    @Blue&White - You know neither of us cried at the wedding but I did choke up on reading my letter to H (as you can tell from the video).  I'm shocked I didn't cry at all but I had such a damn good time that day!  :)
  • Options

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?Tp-ing the house
    What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? no idea
    What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?soda
    What do you call gym shoes?sneakers
    Where do you shop for groceries? grocery store
    What do you say to address a group of people? hello
    What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? dead...
    What do you call your grandparents? grandma and grandpa
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? grocery cart
    What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? Sun storm
    What is the thing you change the TV channel with? remote

no mike here at work

Anniversary

• Options
    @minskat30 you guys looked so damn happy when you were dancing haha. I amazed myself by not passing out at my wedding, so obviously miracles are possible on wedding days :)
  • Options
    tuarceathatuarceatha member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? TPing
    What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? Rolly Polly or a pill bug
    What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? soda, I used to say tonic.
    What do you call gym shoes? Sneakers. I used to say tennis shoes.
    Where do you shop for groceries? Grocery store!
    What do you say to address a group of people? You guys!
    What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? Daddy Long Legs?
    What do you call your grandparents? Nana and Grampy, and Grammie and Grampy
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? Shopping cart.
    What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? Rainbow hunting weather?
  • Options
    I didn't know there was an actual name (or more than one) for when it rains when the sun is out.  Hmm.
  • Options
    minskat30 - WOW!!! I would LOVE to have something like that to remember my big day
    (one day...). I've never seen anything so emotionally beautiful.
  • Options
    @phira I grew up watching the Red Sox announcers on TV in NJ...a lot. And I shiver at the thought of a Red Sox Boston accent, lol. But...really? A frappe and a milkshake are TOTALLY different in my book. Like I would like a milkshake, but a frappe has coffee in it so ew?
    Note to self: Can't ever talk to Blue if we ever met..

I will do the recording later with mike but questions:
    What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? No clue..
    What do you call gym shoes? Sneakers/Sneaks
    Where do you shop for groceries? Grocery Store
    What do you say to address a group of people? Hey
    What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? Daddy Long Legs
    What do you call your grandparents? Grandma/ Grandpa and Nana/Papa
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? Carriage or Cart
    What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? Sun Storm
    What is the thing you change the TV channel with? Remote/Clicker

friends tv show funy
  • Options
    @peaseblossom55 I am pretty sure our roots are in the same place (obviously) as we got almost all of the regional questions the same :) Northern Jersey for the win.
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    According to New England terminology, the delicious ice cream drink is a frappe, and a milkshake is milk with flavored syrup mixed in (like, if you add Hershey's strawberry syrup to milk and mix it up, that's a milkshake). But since I used to get shakes all the time at national chains like Burger King or McDonalds when I was a kid, and they're called "milkshakes" everywhere else, ice cream drinks = milkshakes for me for years.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    @caseface5 There are a lot of Red Sox fans in these parts - I may be a minority :) My H also has an aversion to the Red Sox announcers as an Orioles fan, so I mean...it might just be the announcers. When we WENT to Boston, no one we met talked like them lol Oh my gosh, I should never order a milkshake in Boston, @phira!
  • Options
    Interesting & fun idea. But I'm a little disappointed because my mic sucks on this chrome book: http://vocaroo.com/i/s04qaHtPIXdX

What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? I didn't know, but I see now that it's a "roly poly". I've only seen them on TV, I think.
    Where do you shop for groceries? The market
    What do you say to address a group of people? What's up or just Hey/Hi
    What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? Daddy Long Legs
    What do you call your grandparents? Nana
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? Carriage
    What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? Sun shower
    What is the thing you change the TV channel with? Clicker or Remote

• Options
    @500days you sound a lot like me even after my self-professed terror of Red Sox fans?! :)
  • Options
    @Blue & White I'm glad you could hear it! I feel like I only said "roof" weird? How have I never noticed this...
  • Options
    eilis1228eilis1228 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    HERE is mine. I'm a native Texan, but people tell me all the time I sound like I'm from the Midwest. 

Here are the answers to the questions as well:

TPing
    What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? Roly poly
    Where do you shop for groceries? Shopping cart
    What do you say to address a group of people? Y'all
    What do you call your grandparents? Grandmama, Mamaw, Papaw, Bopaw, and Martha. 
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? Shopping cart

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I don't have a voice to share at the current moment. I definitely have an accent though. I grew up in Philly and then Delaware and now I live in New Jersey. "Wooder" is water and daughter rhymes with "wooder". I get made fun of for those most often. Oh and sometimes "tail" slips out for towel. 

What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? Roly poly
    What do you say to address a group of people? Growing up I said "yous" but I've grown out of it and I guess I say "you guys" now
    What do you call your grandparents? Mommom and Poppop

• Options
    @minskat30 You sound like Jena Malone!  I couldn't listen for long though because I was starting to tear up. Beautiful video!

• Options
    @Blue & White Yay for NJ!

Anniversary

• Options
    What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? TP-ing
     Gross.
    What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? Soda
    What do you call gym shoes? Sneakers
    Where do you shop for groceries? Grocery store
    What do you say to address a group of people? Hi guys
    What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? Daddy long legs
    What do you call your grandparents? Nana & Bampa (because I couldn't say the "g" sound when I was little. My dad's parents were Memere & Pepere because they were French.
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? Cart
    What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? Sunshower
    What is the thing you change the TV channel with? Remote

Grew up in Maine, but went to college in Connecticut with lots of Long Islanders, and got mercilessly made fun of for "wicked" so I dropped it. My accent comes back if I'm home for a long enough time, if I'm really pissed, or if I'm drunk.

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? TP-ing
     Gross.
    What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? Soda
    What do you call gym shoes? Sneakers
    Where do you shop for groceries? Grocery store
    What do you say to address a group of people? Hi guys
    What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? Daddy long legs
    What do you call your grandparents? Nana & Bampa (because I couldn't say the "g" sound when I was little. My dad's parents were Memere & Pepere because they were French.
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? Cart
    What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? Sunshower
    What is the thing you change the TV channel with? Remote

Grew up in Maine, but went to college in Connecticut with lots of Long Islanders, and got mercilessly made fun of for "wicked" so I dropped it. My accent comes back if I'm home for a long enough time, if I'm really pissed, or if I'm drunk.

SITB:
    YES!!! When I'm tired, angry, or drunk I sound very twangy. My mom has your stereotypical Southern accent, and I sound just like her in those scenarios. Seriously. When she says my name, it has 2 syllables: "Lee-uhz" My name is Liz. 

• Options
    eilis1228 said:
    @minskat30 You sound like Jena Malone!  I couldn't listen for long though because I was starting to tear up. Beautiful video!

Ha!  I googled a video of her and I do sort of sound like her (especially the higher pitch).  The video was my one thing I made H get, the production company is from Madison and they rock...nicest people in the world.

When I heard your voice, I definitely heard Midwest more than Texas.  Then again, I went to UT-Austin for grad school and very few people there had real twang in their everyday speach (at least in my classes).

• Options
    minskat30 said:
    eilis1228 said:

Ha!  I googled a video of her and I do sort of sound like her (especially the higher pitch).  The video was my one thing I made H get, the production company is from Madison and they rock...nicest people in the world.

When I heard your voice, I definitely heard Midwest more than Texas.  Then again, I went to UT-Austin for grad school and very few people there had real twang in their everyday speach (at least in my classes).

SITB

It's seriously a beautiful video. They did a fantastic job!

I went to school at UT-Austin as well! There are so many people there from all over the world, so the twangy accents are hard to come by. Plus, that's a very liberal area of Texas, so you're less likely to see the stereotypical rednecks. Ah, I love Austin. :)

• Options
    I adore Austin too @ellis1228.  If I could have stayed in Austin, I would have seriously considered it (unfortunately, there weren't a lot of jobs in my field there and the ones that were there went to people FAR smarter than me).  I took H there to visit a year ago and he fell in love with the food trucks (and all the food)...where the food he eats goes, I don't know.  ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards