Chit Chat

Makeup suggestions

Hey knotties!

I was wondering if any of you have tried airbrush makeup for your wedding day? Or have any of you tried the brand dermablend? The reason I ask was I had a recent cancer scare this year and had part of my thyroid removed last week. All is well no worries! I am feeling great and have a very supportive family and FI. Now that I have most of the medical stuff behind me, I feel like I can focus on wedding planning again. I really want a natural way to cover up the scar for my wedding day which is in a little less than 5 months away. Also we have a few family events in a few weeks and I would like something I can use to conceal it for photos. I have attached a photo of what it looks like now, but it is only a few days post op. I usually just wear a light mineral powder on a daily basis and don't own any liquid foundation.
me.JPG 516.3K

Re: Makeup suggestions

• DermaBlend is damn good. I've also heard very good things about the Kat Von D foundation. I'd be a little wary about putting makeup on your scar because it looks a little dry. Makeup might make it more obvious. It would be worth testing out beforehand to make sure you get a good result.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• @beethery Good to know that you like derma blend. It would be nice to try it out before I purchase anything. I won't be able to try anything out for a few weeks (stitches need to come out). I was hoping to order something in the meantime, but maybe testing it out first would be a better idea. I didn't know Kat Von D had a makeup line! Googling that pronto!
  • First, I hope everything remains well, and you are happy and healthy for the rest of your life.

DermaBlend is crazy impressive (from the YouTube videos I've seen), although I can't speak of the price.

As for airbrushing, a BM at my friends wedding is a martial artist and ended up severely bruising her calf a few days before the wedding, and a short BM dress that showed it off. The MUA was able to airbrush it, and we couldn't tell it was there. 

Whatever you end up going with, I think no one will notice your scar, and you will be stunning on your wedding day.
  • I have only seen the DermaBlend YouTube videos, but it looks damn good.

In college, I went through about a year and a half with a pretty terrible skin condition on my face.  It was a raised, reddish purple rash like a bandit mask across my eyes-- a little lighter than your scar but not much lighter.  Up until then, I only used light mineral powder, too.  What I found worked was layering.  I used foundation all over, and some concealer on the worst parts.  When the color looked pretty evened out, I layered my mineral foundation on top of the makeup underneath.  It worked like a setting powder and gave another layer of coverage.  Just make sure you use a high quality brand (I used Arbonne, but Dermablend/ Bare Minerals should work just as well) because the drugstore brands can get cakey.

I also love Smashbox, but my skin condition is much improved now, so I haven't tried to cover up anything major with it.

And honestly, don't worry too much about the scar.  It blends right in with your collarbone and I don't think most people would even notice it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I'm no good with makeup, but continued healthy vibes for you!
  • I've also heard really good stuff about Kat's makeup.
    It really doesn't look bad at all, though.
    Sending good vibes!
  • Thanks everyone for the good vibes sent my way! :) I thought about buying a liquid foundation and layering it with the powder, but wasn't sure if it would look cakey. I looked online and dermablend doesn't seem too expensive and they sell it at our local Ulta beauty store. I am definitely going to watch some youtube videos (I had no idea these existed!). Thank you so much for the suggestions.
  • I've sold Dermablend, and that shit is amazing. I will say, though, to be careful when layering powder foundation on top of liquid foundation. You'll want to do a few test runs to make sure your makeup doesn't cake and/or settle into the creases of your skin. If you are either very oily or very dry, the makeup will be more likely to cake/crease as you wear it. I recommend a silicone-based primer to extend wear, too. I used POREfessional from Benefit for my wedding, and it kept my makeup and powder smooth all night without needing to be touched up (I have a super oily t-zone but am dry elsewhere).
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I've sold Dermablend, and that shit is amazing. I will say, though, to be careful when layering powder foundation on top of liquid foundation. You'll want to do a few test runs to make sure your makeup doesn't cake and/or settle into the creases of your skin. If you are either very oily or very dry, the makeup will be more likely to cake/crease as you wear it. I recommend a silicone-based primer to extend wear, too. I used POREfessional from Benefit for my wedding, and it kept my makeup and powder smooth all night without needing to be touched up (I have a super oily t-zone but am dry elsewhere).
    POREFESSIONAL IS AMAZING. AMAZING. AMAZING FOREVER.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    I've sold Dermablend, and that shit is amazing. I will say, though, to be careful when layering powder foundation on top of liquid foundation. You'll want to do a few test runs to make sure your makeup doesn't cake and/or settle into the creases of your skin. If you are either very oily or very dry, the makeup will be more likely to cake/crease as you wear it. I recommend a silicone-based primer to extend wear, too. I used POREfessional from Benefit for my wedding, and it kept my makeup and powder smooth all night without needing to be touched up (I have a super oily t-zone but am dry elsewhere).
    POREFESSIONAL IS AMAZING. AMAZING. AMAZING FOREVER.
    It really is! I don't wear much makeup now that I'm out of the industry (I sit alone in my cube all day and we rarely get visitors in my office), so I get the little travel size at Sephora so it doesn't expire before I can use it all. A little goes such a long way and makes my skin look amazing.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    I'm not sure about makeup but Mederma is AMAZING at reducing scarring. It's not inexpensive but it's worth it. You can buy it at any pharmacy like CVS or Walgreens or whatever. It's an over-time thing but I bet in 5 months it would greatly reduce the scar. Just make sure you can put it on now. I think you have to wait until you get the stitches out.

Also, so glad to hear that you are ok.

And plus also, you are beautiful.

ETA: Just looked at their website. It says to use it for 8 weeks for new scars. Definitely in time for the wedding!
    Thank you for these extra tips. I have oily skin, which is why I tend to stray from liquid foundation. Also why I was leaning towards airbrush makeup for the wedding day. I have never tried a primer before. whew! So much to learn. I can't wait until I am able to try the Dermablend. 
  • lc07 said:
    I'm not sure about makeup but Mederma is AMAZING at reducing scarring. It's not inexpensive but it's worth it. You can buy it at any pharmacy like CVS or Walgreens or whatever. It's an over-time thing but I bet in 5 months it would greatly reduce the scar. Just make sure you can put it on now. I think you have to wait until you get the stitches out.

ETA: Just looked at their website. It says to use it for 8 weeks for new scars. Definitely in time for the wedding!
    Thank you! Never tried Mederma before either. I am really glad I posted asking for advice. I feel like with all of these suggestions I will be ready for the wedding. 
  • lc07lc07 member
    lc07 said:

Thank you! Never tried Mederma before either. I am really glad I posted asking for advice. I feel like with all of these suggestions I will be ready for the wedding. 
    You're welcome! I'm glad you asked us, too. They have a before and after sample of someone else's neck scar from having her thyroid removed on the website. I've used it before on a scar and can personally attest that it is absolutely amazing.
  • lc07 said:
    lc07 said:

You're welcome! I'm glad you asked us, too. They have a before and after sample of someone else's neck scar from having her thyroid removed on the website. I've used it before on a scar and can personally attest that it is absolutely amazing.
    Oh that is really comforting to hear. I know in the big scheme of things that a scar is no big deal, but if I can make it fade as well as cover it up, why not you know? The Mederma doesn't seem overly expensive either. If it helps it will be worth every penny. Walgreens and Ulta here I come!
  • If you find that the makeup isn't to your liking and you still feel like you want to cover it, you could probably get just the right length double-strand pearl (faux or real is up to you) necklace that could lay over it just right and be subtle enough to not outdo your dress.

Options are good to have!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• @beethery Damn you ladies give some great advice! Pearls are my birth stone. This could be a great option to fall back on. 
  • lc07lc07 member
    beethery said:
    If you find that the makeup isn't to your liking and you still feel like you want to cover it, you could probably get just the right length double-strand pearl (faux or real is up to you) necklace that could lay over it just right and be subtle enough to not outdo your dress.

Options are good to have!
    Genius. I was thinking of suggesting a necklace, too, but based on how high the scar is, I thought the necklace would have to be more of a choker. But double strand pearls would be perfect. 
  • Don't start the Mederma until your incision is completely and totally healed.  I'd ask your doctor to tell you when it's safe to do that. Pure Vitamin E oil in between Mederma applications will help too.  And then, in 5 months, you should have a scar that you may not even need the Dermablend for. But if you feel like you do, then Dermablend is the bomb. Totally worth the money.
  • Girl, you're gorgeous!  And I love the pearl idea!  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards