Just Engaged and Proposals

My Dream Venue/Month/Year are not available until 2016, what do I do?!

My fiance and I went to tour a venue yesterday, that we both fell absolutely in LOVE with. The lady said they only have sundays left from May-October of 2015, we were both crushed when she told us the bad news. Someone had taken the last available saturday in September 2 days ago!  She told us that they are all open in the year of 2016, and we could have the date we want, but we would have to wait 2 more years. He just turned 27, and I will be 27 in August. For some reason I am so concerned about getting married older, even though its only an extra year we would have to wait. Do you think that it is worth waiting the extra year and few months to have it at the place we both love?! Help!!

-Confused Bride to Be!

Answers

• That's an extra year to save and plan. If it means that much to you, do it that way. Plus, you can work it out to have everything locked down and ready that much earlier and be more prepared for any unforeseen circumstances.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Or you could have a Sunday wedding? It's usually a bit cheaper to rent venues on Sundays, also (not that budget is necessarily a huge concern for you--I just can't stop the midwest deal-hunter instinct from coming out).

The upside here is that you have been given the gift of time--you might choose to wait till 2016, or you can start looking around elsewhere and who knows? You might find a place you like even better. Or you might circle back and go with a Sunday option. But on the one hand it takes a little bit of pressure off, knowing what you know. I would also add, please don't worry about getting married "older." You love each other, you're going to get married, and you have your whole lives to BE married. :)
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • "Getting married older"? Are you kidding me? Girl, you are young. I'll be 34 on my wedding day and FI will be 41. 

YOU ARE YOUNG. Not old. What does it matter if you get married at 29? 
  • beethery said:
    "Getting married older"? Are you kidding me? Girl, you are young. I'll be 34 on my wedding day and FI will be 41. 

Here's a picture of my future: getting married at the ripe old age of 29!

lol I'm sorry OP, I'm not making fun of you, I'm just loling at what @ClimbingBrideNY said
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!! 
  • In a wild impulse early on in planning, I actually pushed back our wedding two weeks past my birthday so I would be a year OLDER when we got married. 

Anyway, I think the age consideration is a bit silly (really, you two love each other, who cares how close you are to 30 when you make it official?) but no one but you and your FI can decide if the venue is worth putting off the wedding. 

FWIW we had a long engagement, and I'm glad we did. 
  • PDKH said:
    In a wild impulse early on in planning, I actually pushed back our wedding two weeks past my birthday so I would be a year OLDER when we got married. 

Anyway, I think the age consideration is a bit silly (really, you two love each other, who cares how close you are to 30 when you make it official?) but no one but you and your FI can decide if the venue is worth putting off the wedding. 

FWIW we had a long engagement, and I'm glad we did. 
    I agree with this.  It is totally based on what you at FI feel most importantly about.  Personally, my DH and I would not live together before marriage, nor have children.  Both of those things were very important to me so I would not have wanted to wait another 2 years.  If certain dates/venues mean that much to you, and you feel like you would be settling to change those things, then hey, it is an extra year of saving up for the things you really want! 
  • I just really can't relate to this. I hold zero emotional ties to my date or venue or anything, and it's hard for me to imagine feeling so. My first reaction to your topic title is "find a different dream."
  • I was 2 months shy of my 39th birthday when I got married. What a silly reason not to wait a year.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Why don't you book one for early 2016 but tell them you want to be on the waitlist for the first Saturday cancellation of 2015. There will absolutely be cancellations that happen and the venue should have no problem letting you change your date to the open slot. Just wait on booking things like photographer until about 9 months out when you are set on the final date. But yea, I personally would do a Sunday or find a new place. Not because I think you're old, but because the venue holds no importance to me like @jennycolada said. I find 50 places that would be just fine in my book, guess we are not very picky.

• beethery said:
    "Getting married older"? Are you kidding me? Girl, you are young. I'll be 34 on my wedding day and FI will be 41. 

Here's a picture of my future: getting married at the ripe old age of 29!

lol I'm sorry OP, I'm not making fun of you, I'm just loling at what @ClimbingBrideNY said

(Loveee you!  xoxo)

Anniversary

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My fiance and I went to tour a venue yesterday, that we both fell absolutely in LOVE with. The lady said they only have sundays left from May-October of 2015, we were both crushed when she told us the bad news. Someone had taken the last available saturday in September 2 days ago!  She told us that they are all open in the year of 2016, and we could have the date we want, but we would have to wait 2 more years. He just turned 27, and I will be 27 in August. For some reason I am so concerned about getting married older, even though its only an extra year we would have to wait. Do you think that it is worth waiting the extra year and few months to have it at the place we both love?! Help!!

-Confused Bride to Be!
    Have you made sure this dream venue accommodates your guest list in a comfortable manner?
  • I would say the extra time doesn't matter and may even be nice UNLESS you are waiting to move in together or if it would interfere with plans to start a family etc. If I was waiting on other things besides a wedding I think I would start to get impatient and would rather go with a Sunday or choose another venue.

I have several friends that had almost-2-year long engagements. Aside from setting a date and picking venues they didn't really do much in the first year, but it gave them lots of time to save and they weren't really stressed at all with time.
  •   Now I feel old, LOL. I'll be 45 when I get married. This is my first marriage too! I'm picky!

It looks like you can either wait for your perfect date and venue. You really aren't that old and you can save longer. Or you can have a Sunday wedding sooner, (I'm having a Monday wedding, but it's mostly immediate family.) Or why don't you try a few more venue's for fun. You don't have to book them and maybe you'll fall in love with another one. We ultimately chose Disneyland, but there were a few other venue's more local which were also very nice. 
  • I just really can't relate to this. I hold zero emotional ties to my date or venue or anything, and it's hard for me to imagine feeling so. My first reaction to your topic title is "find a different dream."
    This.

Do way I would push my wedding to 2 years in order to be abel to have a certain venue on a Saturday.  No, would not have happened.

A few months?  Sure, An extra year.  No.

I would go out and start looking again.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I don't understand dream venues, dream weddings, dream honeymoons, dream wedding dresses, dream anything.  It all sounds unrealistic and fantasy land.  Maybe that is why I dislike Disney themed weddings so much.
    You are getting married, right?  This is about being a grown up, facing reality, and making compromises.  If you can't do this without inconveniencing everybody, maybe you aren't ready to get married yet.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • What about Saturdays in April 2015? I suppose it depends on where you live, but would this be an outdoor wedding?
  • We're waiting until 2016 to get married for sentimental reasons (date-wise). It's nice because I'm able to plan at a leisurely pace, pay 2014 or 2015 prices for vendors by entering into contracts with them early, and put aside a certain amount each month for the wedding. I'd say if you really love the venue, think about whether benefits like I mentioned would make it worth the wait. Best wishes from wild and beautiful West Virginia!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards