Flowers

Anyone doing a cascading or waterfall bouquet?

The cascading or waterfall bouquet was really popular in the 1980s.  Actually, it was Princess Diana's bouquet for her 1981 wedding.  And I wanted to do something like this.  Here are some images from Google on "cascading bouquet."

The reason I'm posting is, I've noticed that most florists' portfolios don't have any.  Is there something wrong with my tastes?  Am I being a "grandma"?

Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Anyone doing a cascading or waterfall bouquet?

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your images didn't make it onto your post.  Have you priced the cascading bouquets?  Diana had one but remember that the Queen of England was picking up the tab.  Personally, I think this bouquet would overwhelm any dress that didn't have the horrible 1980s poufy sleeves.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Was the word "cascading bouquetnot hyperlinked?

Thanks for your opinion!  I'll keep that in mind!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • rosierealrosiereal member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am having a cascading bouquet ilove them and i always imagine my flowers like that. i think its your personal taste if that what you like and want thats what you get mine is costing me $170.00 dk if thats alot

Good Luck

save the date planning My Bio updated 05/22/11 image 184 Invited
    image129 are ready to party! image 39 missing out image 16 are driving me crazy
    RSVP Date: May 14, Wedding: June 18
  • julia'sflorajulia'sflora member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Diana's bouquet was fantastic and huge and she was royalty,  its the kind of bouquet that many brides imagine.  it can be done in a really modern way like this one....
    http://weddings.theknot.com/Real-Weddings/71481/detailview.aspx?id=71481&type=3&wedding+details=Bridal+Bouquets%2cBridesmaid+Bouquets&pageIndex=1
    its really beautiful and to rosereal  that is a really good price.

- Julia
  • edited December 2011
    I don't see why not, as long as you keep in mind your dress style...you don't want to overwhelm.  But, cascading does not have to mean huge and overstuffed!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • psuxray07psuxray07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE cascading bouquets, and that's what mine is going to be.  One of the first 3 pictures on your google search, all white, is pretty similar to what mine is going to be like, maybe just a tad shorter.  I think they're beautiful :)
    *12.31.10*New Year's Eve!*
    *BFP 1.3.13* IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • uwf_cole23uwf_cole23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend did one for her wedding, and it was beautiful! Her dress did not have beading though so it made a nice touch of detail.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I think that the trend turned to bunched bouquets so that is what florists started putting in their portfolios. I know that cascading bouquets cost more so that might be why you haven't seen a ton of them lately. In the age when people are trying to save money, it can help out on costs a little.
    Anniversary
  • AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would really like a cascading bouquet myself.  I have always thought they were quite elegant and complete the flowing lines of a wedding gown.

I know the nosegay/round style is quite popular right now, but I have noticed alot of them look really big and bulky, like the one Chelsea Clinton carried. 
    Anniversary
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_anyone-doing-cascading-waterfall-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:81a7fdbc-40f7-4ade-9762-8ec7ad8713ecPost:f15a2269-bf68-4ad2-a559-5dea6b9c745f">Re: Anyone doing a cascading or waterfall bouquet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would really like a cascading bouquet myself.  I have always thought they were quite elegant and complete the flowing lines of a wedding gown. I know the nosegay/round style is quite popular right now, but <strong>I have noticed alot of them look really big and bulky, like the one Chelsea Clinton carried.</strong> 
    Posted by AbbeyS2011[/QUOTE]

Ugh!!!  I hate this.  When I saw the written contract for my flowers, I had to specify that I did not want a big ball on a stick for my bouquet.  The florist had assumed this is what I was describing because that is what "everyone" is getting now.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    I also want to do a cascading bouquet.  The florist did advise me they were a bit more expensive because they are labor intensive, but she did indicate the cost could be controlled if I am flexible about flowers (I am).  I absolutely agree they are very elegant and, since my dress is a Renaissance style gown, I want my flowers to look as if my lady's maid went out to the garden and picked them the morning of the wedding.  I also agree I don't like those really structured ball bouquets. 
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I married back in 1992 the first time and had a cascading bouquet (all white flowers with a bit of greenery) ... though not as full as Di's.  I think one's bouquet choice is rather personal, so don't worry that a florist doesn't have what you want in a look book. 
    Once you find "your" florist, just be sure to spend some quality time, face to face, describing what you want (find some photos, sketch it out if you need to!) and make sure he/she understands.  It may help to reiterate -- over and over again if necessary -- with the florist that you do not want to follow current trends.

I'm sure it will all work out.  Best of luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards