Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding Invitations.

I am wondering what we should do about invitations.  We want to save money. We are not doing save the dates.  We will be setting up a website and will want people to respond there.  I do not want to mail out a lot of inserts with directions or things like that. What is appropriate to do? Is it ok with the main invitation, put in card that states on website? Should we place post cards that have the RSVP but do not have postage if people chose to RSVP that way vs the online way I prefer.  Let me know what you all think. Thanks!.

Re: Wedding Invitations.

• Options
      I know that many people prefer to send an rsvp card back versus replying on a website. If you decide to go the website route be prepared to have to make a lot of phone calls after your rsvp date. Also, your invitations don't need to have a lot of inserts or be anything extravagant by any means. Check out VistaPrint they have a lot of really great deals on invitations. We got our during one of their sales, 150 invites, and reply cards with envelopes for $100. And as far as stamps go, I am not sure the correct etiquette on that but I have never received a reply card with out a stamp on the envelope.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
      I am not a fan of online RSVPs. Vistaprint is a good place to get inexpensive invitations.
      What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
    • Options
      I did online RSVPs and I had to contact exactly 4 invites out of 50+. I had no issues! We did one invitation and at the bottom it said "RSVP by date @ www.mywedding.com/xxxxx" it was easy peasy :) we did it to save money too and it worked out wonderfully. I had a friend use theknot's website for online RSVPs and they said they had no issues either!
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Options
      I got print your own invitations at Michaels that came with the invitation, an insert, a pocket, a reply card, reply card envelope, invitation envelope, and a tag with ribbon.  We bought 2 sets of 30 with 50% off coupons, so in the end we paid a bit less than $50 for 60 invitations.  They had other sets that were even cheaper where we could have gotten the number we needed for around $20 with coupons.

The print your own invitation packages all said whether additional postage would have been due, which helped for planning.

Online RSVPs are almost universally disliked, especially by my parent's generation.  If most of your guests are middle aged, then I would strongly consider sending traditional card RSVPs.  You can save money on the invitations themselves, but I would still do stamped and addressed RSVP cards.
    • Options
      I think that if you send out the RSVP cards to guest you need to put a stamp on them. I thought I read that somewhere but can't remember exactly where.
    • Options
      I bought my invites on Vistaprint with a Groupon and they were lovely. 

I think there are better ways to cut money instead of a postcard stamp for each invitation. We've had people post here about serious glitches on RSVP websites, then they had to call everyone and ask if they were coming. 

Were you planning on buying yourself new shoes? Well, wear a pair from your closet and spend that $50 on postage. Problem solved.
    • Options
      Pre-printed RSVPs have always been optional, and many years ago, they were actually considered to be rude.  They are commonly used these days, but you don't need them,.  Do be prepared to make a lot of phone calls to people who don't respond.  Give people the option of RSVP by telephone.
      I recommend Vistaprint also.  Sign up on their website for their constant sale promotions.  They also feature freebies from time to time.

Is your ceremony going to be in the same place as your reception?  If it is, you won't need reception cards, either.  Here is sample wording for a non-church wedding:

The pleasure of your company is requested
      at the marriage of
      Bride's Full Name
      and
      Groom's Full Name
      Day, date
      time o'clock
      Venue
      Address
      City, State

Reception to follow

On a small business card insert:  For more information about directions, hotel accommodations, to RSVP, please visit our wedding website, http://www.theknot.com/etc. or telephone (555) 555-1234.
      httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    • Options
      Many people I know do not respond at all electronically to invitations.  Some don't have computers or Internet connections; others simply won't do it.

For some, electronic channels just knock down the formality of the invitations, or make it something they don't take seriously.

I'd stick with paper invitations and inserts.
    • Options
      Thank you, all!  My ceremony and reception will be at the same place.  We are planning to have 150 guest but I think when it comes time to send them out we will be sending out more than that but under 200.  My wedding is not till next Sept., but I am new to this and just want it to be right and want to know what I will be looking at to spend.  I want to keep it simple but to the point.  
    • Options
      Keep in mind that your guest list is 150, but you won't be sending out 150 invites.  We had a similar sized guest list and I almost ordered 150 invites...bride brain.  I only needed 60.  I got mine from Cards and pockets and had them printed at Office Depot.

Also, keep to regular sized cards.  The odd sized cards will cost more in postage.
    This discussion has been closed.
    Choose Another Board
    Search Boards