November 2015 Weddings

Weekend before Thanksgiving?

Is anyone else having their wedding the weekend before Thanksgiving? 

My fiance and I have settled on 11/21/15 and are excited to book our venue next week, but I can't help but worry about getting married so close to Thanksgiving! I know most traveling doesn't begin until the Tuesday or Wednesday before Thanksgiving, but I don't want to inconvenience my guests or have a very high decline rate due to people not being able to travel to our wedding the weekend before the holiday. 

I was very happy with this date until I started over thinking it! Any insight would be appreciated :) I don't think this board is too active yet since we're 18 months out 

Re: Weekend before Thanksgiving?

• We were thinking of that date but went with 11/7 instead since it is a little further away from Thanksgiving.  We just thought with people having to travel for Thanksgiving that they would be less likely to travel the week directly prior.
  • I hear you. We ended up booking the 21st last night, basically it is the first date of off-season pricing and we couldn't justify spending 20% more for an earlier date. I would have loved to do the 7th though :)
  • JBee85JBee85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    Delete
  • We've booked our wedding for November 21, 2015 as well. It works best with my college schedule and most of our guests live in town so we're not anticipating many issues. Also planning to do a Thanksgiving-style menu: cajun fried turkey breast and cranberry glazed pork :)
  • I love your menu idea!! Congrats on booking your big day!
  • Thanksgiving Eve bride checking in ;) thankfully most of our family is local so we'd be together for the holiday anyway. Also coudn't say no to the Wednesday price

• Hey Hopeh18! We are set for the same date as you! 11/21/15-I was second guessing this date at first, but my fiance and I as with our family are happy all the same. It seems like forever and a day away too! Everyone keeps telling me that it will come faster then you think-Im still waiting for that! LOL at least now I know there is someone else in the same "boat!" Happy Planning!
  • Hi There! 

My fiance and I have decided on the weekend after thanksgiving 2015 since most of the family will be together for thanksgiving and to accommodate our school schedule. Since my family is so small compared to his, my family would be the one commuting. My advice to you on picking any day in which you have reservations about is speak to those people whom you absolutely Must have. If they say yes than do not let anyone else rain on your shine! Gook Luck and Happy Planning to you all! 
  • Hi everyone!
    Day after thanksgiving here! Neither mine or FI family celebrates thanksgiving and most of our guest are coming from outside the US (Canada, India and Barbados) so they don't celebrate either. It worked out perfectly for us!

• We just booked earlier this week for 11/21/2015 as well! We knew when we got engaged where we wanted to book it and I really wanted a fall wedding, so we went with that date because that's what our venue had available. It's also the perfect time of year for the area we're getting married in; not too hot, not too cold. We were unsure at first, but after consulting with some family members decided that no matter what, there are always going to be conflicts and went ahead and booked.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We are going with November 21st also! We debated between weather (Upstate NYers) and the holiday and decided that if it came down to it where people would have to decline because of either, we can understand. Most of our family is within a couple of hours and at least half are less than an hour.
    11/21/2012 - Chapter 1: The Text
    10/23/2014 - Chapter 2: The Proposal
    11/21/2015 - Chapter 3: The Wedding

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • @NicRen17 Where in upstate NY? I grew up there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @NicRen17 Where in upstate NY? I grew up there.
    Small town just southeast of Saratoga. About 20 minutes from VT. What about you?

• Oh neat. I was born in Schenectady, raised just outside there. I went to the Waldorf School in Saratoga for a couple of years. That was a fun commute.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We've booked our wedding for November 21, 2015 as well. It works best with my college schedule and most of our guests live in town so we're not anticipating many issues. Also planning to do a Thanksgiving-style menu: cajun fried turkey breast and cranberry glazed pork :)

That sounds yummy
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are having our wedding in Key West on November 21 also!!! 

It will be just immediately family (Less than 20 people) and no one has questioned the date.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Oh man....if I were a member of your family, I would travel just for that menu! ::drool::
  • sbe0984 said:

We are having our wedding in Key West on November 21 also!!! 

It will be just immediately family (Less than 20 people) and no one has questioned the date.

Cool! Neighbor weddings!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Schenectady to Toga? I bet that was a fun commute! :-P 

I love Saratoga though! It's just too pricey for wedding stuff, at least for me.

• NicRen17 said:
    Schenectady to Toga? I bet that was a fun commute! :-P 

I love Saratoga though! It's just too pricey for wedding stuff, at least for me.
    We were almost always late. And the school did this thing where at the start of the day, all the students shook the teacher's hand as they walked into the classroom. So whenever I was late, instead of just sitting down, I had to stand in the doorway until the teacher was able to pause the lesson to come over and shake my hand in front of everyone.

*shudders*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• OMG that's awful!!! How horrific and embarrassing!! Ugh!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards