Not Engaged Yet

Work-Out Question

I just started doing Jillian Michaels kickboxing video workouts and I love them! It's super easy for me to fit in a 20 minute work-out and I'm drenched in sweat (gross, I know) and exhausted by the end of it. There are three workouts on the DVD but so far I've only done the first because it's a little tricky for me to get a hang of the moves so I figure I should get one down before moving to the next.

Anyway, to my question - I don't want to plateau my weight loss because I'm in too much of routine. But I'm not sure how often I should switch between videos or even do something else entirely. So I was wondering how often you ladies switch up your work-outs?

Re: Work-Out Question

• Honestly, I don't switch, I do what works. Running happens to work for me better than anything else so I just stick to that lol

• edited July 2014
    I have a bunch of Jillian's DVDS - including the kickboxing one. I think I feel the least from that one because I spend half the time trying to figure out the moves haha, I am so uncoordinated! I do her videos, Debbie Siebers' (slim series) and I walk. I tried to start C25k but it's freakin hard. Some days I do the first day of C25k for intervals, not just walking. I like switching it up. I know some people just stick to one thing but I think when you're trying to lose weight and not just maintain you to need to switch things up a bit. I just wouldn't do something that you really don't like just for the heck of doing it. What about walking or jogging in addition to the videos? Have you tried her other ones? I tried to get paragraphs. not working

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm sticking with the elliptical because it doesn't hurt my legs, it's easy to motivate myself, and I can watch an entire episode of Ugly Betty in one work out.

Back when I did Walk Away the Pounds, I basically did the first workout video until I just didn't feel challenged anymore. It took a few weeks, if I remember correctly, which I might not.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • I used to do the same thing every day which didn't work for me so once I started changing up my workouts and doing some muscle confusion it helped create some changes that I didn't see before. I try to incorporate weights 3-4 days a week and cardio 4-5 days a week whether that's going for a run or doing an insanity workout. I would say both are important to lose fat and increase your metabolism. I do Crossfit usually but I know that's not something everyone does but it incorporates enough weights and cardio to where I feel like I got an even proportion of both during my weeks. Switching things up also keeps your workouts fun and interesting and you won't get bored doing the same thing everyday
  • BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    It takes awhile for your body to get accustomed to a routine, I think that's why Jillian does her workouts the way she does, you're supposed to do each stage for x amount of days. Like the 30 day shred is broken up in 3 workouts, 10 days each. I realize 10 days is not a long time, but in the grand scheme of things if something is working for you for a bit, you can stick with it for awhile.
  • @Southernpeach89 - One of the things I like about the kickboxing videos is that it incorporates weights. I'm hoping that I'll start to see some different changes just from adding in weight which I used to never do.

@lavenderfields13 - I've noticed I do a lot better with the moves when I focus on going my own speed and stop watching them because I try too hard to keep up. I only watch them do the moves a couple of times and then just focus on me. I get so bored with doing just cardio. I've tried to be a runner and I hate it (plus I have a really weak left ankle and it rolls really easily). I think to mix it up I would try another one of her videos. I've tried other ones of hers but I haven't liked any of them as much as the kickboxing.

@Phira - The elliptical is my favorite cardio machine! It's the only one I can do for an extended period of time and not be wishing it's over after 5 minutes! I'm trying to cut expenses though so I don't have a gym membership right now. The elliptical is the only thing I really miss though.

• edited July 2014
    @bethsmiles if you really like the kickboxing I would try something like Turbo Jam. It has great reviews and then you're still "mixing it up" a little! ETA: now that I think about it Turbo Jam would be a lot different than Jillian..so you could love it or hate it lol

• BreMRBreMR member
    Not to change the subject from Kickboxing, but has anybody tried Zumba? I tried it once and it was INSAAAANE but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there for DVDs to do in my living room...?! The classes at my gym are only during work hours, how dumb is that!?
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    @BreMR - My best friend does Zumba (she gets to do it for free because her sister teaches the class) and she loves it. She keeps trying to get me to do it but I'm not quite willing to make other people witness my complete lack of coordination. I think one of my other friends said she had a DVD for it though...I think she got it off amazon, it might have been just a dance work-out video though and not specifically zumba. 

• @Beth Smiles How is the kickboxing video? I've tried her 30 Day Shred, though I have yet to make it through the whole thing. I usually just do cardio a few times at the gym and also do pilates. 

@BreMR I used to go to Zumba class regularly. It was crazy fun, but I was super uncoordinated. It's weird that your gym only does classes during work hours. The gym I go to doesn't have any classes between 10:00 and 4:30.

• @bookishgiraffes - I really like the kickboxing video. The workouts are only 20 minutes so I can get through them but I still feel like I'm really pushing myself to do it. I think if 20 minutes was too easy for you, you could do two or even all three for a single workout though. Oh and you definitely have to expect that the first couple of work-outs you do will be a little off because you have to figure out the moves. There is a kickboxing tutorial you can watch first though and that helps some.

My friend just finished her certification to teach pilates! If I had the money for it I would do it but right now money is pretty tight and I don't trust myself to do the moves right from a video.

• Depending on how much time I have, I alternate between the 20 and 45 minute Turbo Jam videos I have. I mix it up with a big hike every week or two as well.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • What are these Turbo Jam videos?

@kaitlymichelle - Hiking is my favorite exercise! BF and I try to go on a different hike every week of the summer!

• @BreMR - I used to do Zumba, I actually liked it quite a bit!!  If you have a Wii they have some workout 'games' for Zumba (I prefer the 'games' to the DVDs).  I've also taken the classes, just try to stick to the back/sides.  I'm totally uncoordinated and have 'right-left' confusion.

I haven't worked out in a long time - I need to start, I've let myself go and it's just a daunting task now that I have to get back to.  Zumba and Cycling were the things that I did most.  I also loved hiking.

Anniversary
  • I've been doing Insanity, just starting Month 2 today.  I've done it before (it's been my main exercise since December) and there is enough variety that I don't get bored and I'm always challenged.  after this round, I'm going to work through 30DS and JM's Ripped in 30.  I need to incorporate some weights and I'll be in class + work, so shorter work outs are ideal.

if you like JM, maybe try her Yoga Meltdown.  there are no weights and it is super challenging and fun.  it's totally different than kickboxing or the 30DS, but still moves at a faster-pace.  it's not the zen-type yoga.
  • @bethsmiles Turbo Jam is from Beach Body

I'd also check out Turbo Jam DVDS on Amazon too to see if you can buy videos separately or cheaper

• I've found several Turbo Jam or Turbo Fire videos and Yoga Meltdown on youtube, in case you want to try it first!
  • I try and alternate daily. For example, one week I may do:
    Sunday - 45 minutes on the stair climber
    Monday - 30 minutes elliptical; 20-30 minutes arms and back
    Tuesday - 30 minutes stair climber; 20-30 minutes legs
    Wednesday - Spin class
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - 50 minutes elliptical
    Saturday - 30 minutes stair climber; 20-30 minutes arms and back...

so on and so forth. Sometimes I have more rest days too or do less cardio... but for the most part, I do a variation of those things. 

Your body will naturally get used to working out though, no matter how much you change up your routine. The more you work out over time, the less calories you'll burn in a set amount of time. There's nothing wrong with that though, and it definitely takes a few months to build up that tolerance. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @bethsmiles - I know you've already gotten a lot of advice, but you are definitely the best off if you switch around what you're doing at least every few days. Mixing up some weights and cardio is the best overall. I used to do jump rope and weights two times a week and then fast paced cardio-type floor exercises two days. The fat melted off. . . Now I just run four times a week, and it's been great for maintaining my weight, but I haven't seen any extra results, really.
  • BreMRBreMR member
    @dignity100 I didn't know they had zumba games for the wii!! If only I didn't turn my Wii into a Netflix only machine for my bedroom, because there is no room for me to work out in there... 
  • @bethsmiles‌
    Other ladies beat me to it! Turbo Fire is a newer one that is too intense for me right now. Turbo Jam is a mix of dance and kickboxing basically. Really good overall cardio and it keeps my interest to keep doing it.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards