Attire & Accessories Forum

Loved the neckline, now hating it!

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd post to see if anyone has had a similar situation to mine. I tried on a lot of dresses with a certain style in mind, I couldn't ever find 'the one'. The sales lady decided to bring out a dress that had just come in and she thought it would be something different for me. I tried it on and I fell in love with it. It was different and very unique.

My dress just came in and I went in for my first fitting...and I felt the disappointment of the dress being a little too unique. I am wanting to alter the neckline to a sweetheart. I haven't seen a seamstress yet, but I am HOPING that the lace around the neckline can be removed and that it will be a somewhat simple thing to do. I have attached the image for you to see!

Anyone gone through this?

Thanks!

Re: Loved the neckline, now hating it!

• That is one hell of a gorgeous dress.  I vote to keep it!  

I second all of maggie's questions.  How you assemble the rest of your outfit will impact how you perceive the overall look.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I appreciate all of yall's feedback! The dress is beautiful, just still undecided about that crazy neckline...

I do plan on wearing a veil and I normally always wear my hair down. I have very long hair, so if I have it altered to sweetheart, I'll probably wear it down and curled.

If I keep the high neckline, I'll probably need to wear my hair up...

• Just in case you want other opinions! (I'm not help in the alterations department, but I would assume it wouldn't be too hard for the seamstress to remove the neckline)

I think your dress is stunning, and not in a "too" unique sort of way either.

And, in my opinion, you could wear your hair down with this neckline still. In fact, I think if your hair is down the neckline is no longer the "attention draw-er", if that is what you are trying to avoid.

• JasperandOpalJasperandOpal member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited July 2014
    I love it as is but yes, a seamstress should be able to turn it into a sweetheart without a problem. Hair up would look beautiful but my dress has a high neckline and I tried it with both up and down hair and decided down looked just as beautiful so I think you could do either (so try it with both and see if that changes how you feel).
  • I agree that you could wear your hair down as well.  You could always do a down do that pulls the front portion of your hair towards the back.  Not really a half up half down but just a pulled towards your back but still down do.  Like this...

• I love that neckline, I think it really makes the dress. But it should be alterable.

Anniversary
  • It seems like it should be easy to remove, but I just wanted to jump on the "that neckline is GORGEOUS" bandwagon!  I really, really love it, and it looks like there's some great hairdos that can be done with it.
    Anniversary

• Wow, thanks everyone....now I'm actually starting to think I may keep the neckline. I'm normally not this indecisive lol.

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    That neckline really isn't my thing and yes, I think a seamstress could alter it into a sweetheart.
  • I also love the neckline!!
  • I love it- keep it!

• I also think it is stunning!  
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited July 2014

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd post to see if anyone has had a similar situation to mine. I tried on a lot of dresses with a certain style in mind, I couldn't ever find 'the one'. The sales lady decided to bring out a dress that had just come in and she thought it would be something different for me. I tried it on and I fell in love with it. It was different and very unique.

My dress just came in and I went in for my first fitting...and I felt the disappointment of the dress being a little too unique. I am wanting to alter the neckline to a sweetheart. I haven't seen a seamstress yet, but I am HOPING that the lace around the neckline can be removed and that it will be a somewhat simple thing to do. I have attached the image for you to see!

Anyone gone through this?

Thanks!

Don't you dare ruin that beautiful dress by messing with it!  It will attract a lot of attention!  It is fabulous!  Stunning!

Pet peeve:  Please stop using the word unique, when you really mean "unusual".  Unique means one of a kind, which this is not.  YOU are unique, but the dress is not.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • that neckline is gorgeous !  It could be easily altered, but then it will look like every other lace fit & flare out there right now.  Your dress is just different enough to give it some additional style. 
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    I love the neckline. 

I agree, before you make any drastic undoable alterations, see what it looks like with your other accessories. 
  • I just want to say that dress is gorgeous and looks amazing on you! I vote keep it as is. If you want to alter it I do t think it would be difficult for a good seamstress though.
  • NOOOOOOO! It's so beautiful!
  • I think it could easily be altered into a sweetheart neckline, yes.

However, don't you dare touch it! That is so beautiful and truly makes your dress a bit unusual. As the PP's mentioned, it can be worn with your hair down if that is what your are comfortable with.

That is a gorgeous dress and looks stunning on you. Do whatever you are comfortable with and ultimately want, but I love it how it is!

• That neckline is gorgeous! It's not too unusual and it looks beautiful. My vote is to keep it as is as well but it's your wedding and you should do whatever makes you feel most comfortable in your dress.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I vote to keep the neckline! It would so great with a nice pair of chandeleir earrings and you can definately wear your hair up or down...or what about half up??
  • Keep the neckline! That's the thing that makes this dress so special! It looks amazing. Don't chop it up. Totally agree with the chandelier earrings. It's going to look stunning on you when you put it all together!
  • I think the neckline is very pretty.  Also, it will probably give you added confidence not having to worry so much about the dress slipping down with not having anything help hold it up.
  • The first thing out of the photographer's mouth at daughter's wedding was, "Thank God!  Not another strapless ballgown!  You wouldn't believe the amount of time I have to spend disguising wardrobe malfunctions at the reception!"  LOL!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Another vote to keep it as is. It is stunning on you!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards