Wedding Party

Bridesmaid with Tacky Highlights

2»

Re: Bridesmaid with Tacky Highlights

• lodele47lodele47 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2014
    My wedding is in two months and one of my bridesmaids recently dyed her hair blue (wedding colors are grey orange and green). It clearly won't match but I don't care. I picked her as my bridesmaid because I love her and her quirkiness, not b/c she "looks the part"
  • smhubbel

I personally think people are being a little too harsh in their responses. With the wedding being two years out, of course you are worry about little details that you probably won't care much about as your wedding gets closer. Its because you are excited to get married but the wedding is too far out to really start planning.

I don't think its unreasonable to ask your cousin not to have bright red hair extension on your wedding day. If it is that important to you then she should respect your wishes as your friend and bridesmaid. Plus its not like you are asking all of your bridesmaid to dye all of their hair brown or something crazy like that.

But that is exactly what its like. She is asking this bridesmaid to dye her hair for a one day event.  The red hair isn't extensions, it is streaks in the girls hair.  But even that doesn't matter.  One should not ask a BM to change something about their physical appearance.  

This is no different than if I asked all my BMs to get their ears pierced because I found a cute pair of earrings I want them all to wear.  Or if I asked one BM to get her ears  pierced because all the others had pierced ears and I wanted them to match.  It is a "minor" change, that can be undone (take the earrings out after and never put them back in) but it is not ok.  

And it doesn't matter if you tell them to do it because you are being Bridezilla-ish two years before or two days before, you should not ask them to do it. 

You said "If it is that important to you then she should respect your wishes as your friend and bridesmaid."  Isn't it important that the BM that she have control over her own body and the bride respect that? 
  • smhubbel

I personally think people are being a little too harsh in their responses. With the wedding being two years out, of course you are worry about little details that you probably won't care much about as your wedding gets closer. Its because you are excited to get married but the wedding is too far out to really start planning.

I don't think its unreasonable to ask your cousin not to have bright red hair extension on your wedding day. If it is that important to you then she should respect your wishes as your friend and bridesmaid. Plus its not like you are asking all of your bridesmaid to dye all of their hair brown or something crazy like that.
    This right here is some crappy advice. 
  • One of my BM's showed up at the RD with bobbed hair and purple streaks.  On which I said "love the hair".   She showed up at the wedding 18 hours later with no streaks and long curly hair.

Seriously this is such a non-issue.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • smhubbel

Complete and utter bullshit.  My friends have NO say in my hair.  If I were someone's bridesmaid then the bride would have a say in my dress (unfortunately), but not my hair or make up or skin or whatever.  They belong to me and nobody else but me.

I wish women would gfto thinking their wedding is a production number and their friends and family are merely props to be dressed and groomed and photographed at their pleasure.

• I think at this point it is too soon to be worrying about hair. That said, if she was planning on doing it anyway, you shouldn't ask her to change it. I remember reading on wedding bee that someone was asked to dye their hair brown, so the bride would be the only blonde. That's getting a little ridiculous in my opinion.
  • lyndausvi said:

One of my BM's showed up at the RD with bobbed hair and purple streaks.  On which I said "love the hair".   She showed up at the wedding 18 hours later with no streaks and long curly hair.

Mostly I'm just curious how you go from a short bob to long and curly? Was it a wig?
  • One of my BM's showed up at the RD with bobbed hair and purple streaks.  On which I said "love the hair".   She showed up at the wedding 18 hours later with no streaks and long curly hair.

Mostly I'm just curious how you go from a short bob to long and curly? Was it a wig?'

**** SITB ****

extensions.     She is a hair stylist by profession. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards