Chit Chat

Ikea sheets suck

When we got our new house, Ikea was having a sale on one of their bedroom sets. We got a queen bed frame, side table and dresser all for about $300. Perfect for our guest bedroom. We picked up some bedding while we were there too. The duvet cover is fine, but the $15 sheets. Well, I guess I should have known better, but Ikea always proves itself to be reliable on cheap stuff.

I'm here to warn you- do not buy the cheap Ikea sheets. The more expensive ones are fine- not spectacular, but usable. The cheep sheets are completely useless. They are hard, wrinkle fresh out of the dryer and are lint magnets! 

I've been cringing and using the cheap Ikea sheets now for the past 2 years. We have friends coming in tomorrow, and for some reason, this time around I was too embarrassed to use the sheets. I think it is probably because this is the first of our married couple friends to come visit us. When our single friends visited, I didn't like the Ikea sheets, but I didn't not like them enough to replace them. But this is a married couple. With a house and decorations. 

So, as I was making the bed for them, I broke down about the sheets. I immediately drove to Target. I bought the exact same color sheets but for $50 vs $15 and oh my God are they night and day. I also got a new shower curtain, towels and fixed a frame that wasn't staying up. $100 later I now have the most perfect guest room and guest bathroom ever. Thanks Target! 

Man, guests can be stressful. I'm also a little drunk because it is National Tequila Day. Ole. 

Re: Ikea sheets suck

• I can't wait until a few months from now when I am making bank and we can have nice sheets.  We have a few pairs of sheets now, all of which are the $15 kind from Ikea or Target.  Scratchity scritch scratch.

We used Christmas money to buy a nice duvet cover and a really cheap but cute headboard though, so at least our bed looks nice. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I am so glad my FI changed my mind on sheets. He had a really nice 400 thread count set on his bed before we started dating....mmm that was a nice weekend...I didn't want to get out of bed....some of that was because of the sheets. Now I won't sleep on anything else if I can help it. 
    Anniversary
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Target. It will get you with extra purchases every time.
  • Honey, get thee to a Ross, HomeGoods, TJMaxx, or Marshalls. The last three are a little higher-end, but I've scored king size 600 thread count cotton blend sheets for under 50 bucks at Ross.

Anniversary
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    We just bought an Ikea duvet for our bed. It's the perfect color and I like it a lot. But it was $50 so I was pretty sure it was going to be OK.
    chibiyui said:
    Honey, get thee to a Ross, HomeGoods, TJMaxx, or Marshalls. The last three are a little higher-end, but I've scored king size 600 thread count cotton blend sheets for under 50 bucks at Ross.
    I love Marshalls, but it can be a lot of work to find what you want. Discount shopping is like a race, you have to prepare, and be in the right mindset, and bring energy gels. My favorite store in the world is Nordstrom Last Chance, but I have to prepare mentally for it. When in a clutch, Target will always save you. 
  • SBmini said:
    We just bought an Ikea duvet for our bed. It's the perfect color and I like it a lot. But it was $50 so I was pretty sure it was going to be OK.
    chibiyui said:
    Honey, get thee to a Ross, HomeGoods, TJMaxx, or Marshalls. The last three are a little higher-end, but I've scored king size 600 thread count cotton blend sheets for under 50 bucks at Ross.
    I love Marshalls, but it can be a lot of work to find what you want. Discount shopping is like a race, you have to prepare, and be in the right mindset, and bring energy gels. My favorite store in the world is Nordstrom Last Chance, but I have to prepare mentally for it. When in a clutch, Target will always save you. 
    I'm dying over here.  I hate Marshall's for this exact reason.  Maybe I should bring energy gels next time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• SBmini said:

chibiyui said:

I'm dying over here.  I hate Marshall's for this exact reason.  Maybe I should bring energy gels next time.

The last time I bought sheets at Home Goods they were so lopsided I swear the pillowcases were triangular. Looked like they were sewn by one-armed chimps.

• Fran1985 Fran1985 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    Sheets are the worth the splurge in my opinion. We only have one pair right now, I think we spent 60 on them and they are really nice. We just wash and put them back on the bed same day. Getting into bed is one of my favorite feelings in the world, I cant imagine having scratchy sheets! 

• I am OBSESSED with my organic cotton sheets from Target. I didn't think they were going to be so nice for the price ($45ish maybe) but they were. Definitely worth the extra cost to their regular cotton, I think. They are extra soft.
  • I'm definitely a nice sheets person. I can't do anything less than 500 thread count, definitely none of that cotton/jersey bullshit. I'm totally with @chibiyui I get all really nice brands at TJ Maxx. I have gotten many $120 sets for $50 and I never have a hard time finding ones I want, more like hard time chosing between 3 that I want.

But I totally feel you on impressing guests. My friend is flying to stay with me and be my photographer and she will be the only person to ever use my guest room so I need to get some new towels and non-moldy shower as well!

• Sheets are a definite splurge for me.  I can not STAND scratchy, cheap, low quality sheets.  And if they start to pill?  Ugh.  Trash.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I have had consistent good luck with any set of organic sheets.  They have always stayed soft and don't get wrinkled too easily.  The ones from Target that are in my current sheet rotation are my favorite!  Sometimes I think those 400+ thread count sheets are not nice and not worth the price!

Back in the day, I used to work at Linens N Things in the bedding department.  They had sets of 800 thread count sheets and they felt so scratchy!  I don't know why anyone spent the money on those things!
  • Got the target organic cotton ones at my shower. Had FSIL staying over so I thought I could break the rule about not using them before the wedding. Blew my mind with this little feature! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!

• Got the target organic cotton ones at my shower. Had FSIL staying over so I thought I could break the rule about not using them before the wedding. Blew my mind with this little feature! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!

Got the target organic cotton ones at my shower. Had FSIL staying over so I thought I could break the rule about not using them before the wedding. Blew my mind with this little feature! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!

That should be a requirement on all sheets.  And surely there's a way to train fitted sheets to fold themselves, right?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We bought the $20 t-shirt sheets from Target for our guest room & even though they're not luxurious, they're so comfy. Our guests are always raving about them. 
  • My FI won't let us buy anything other than bamboo sheets:

http://www.cariloha.com/bed-bath/bedding/sheets.html

...which is funny to me bc he hates spending money on anything, and these sheets are ridiculously expensive. But SOOO nice!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I love the "Pure Beech" modal sheets from BB&B.  With my new mattress though, and it's topper, it's about 17" high, and none of the 10 sets of Pure Beech will go on anymore :-(

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Kelani23 said:

I love the "Pure Beech" modal sheets from BB&B.  With my new mattress though, and it's topper, it's about 17" high, and none of the 10 sets of Pure Beech will go on anymore :-(

Pure Beech are great.  I've never owned them but I worked at BBB so I know exactly what you mean.  Oh hey.... we should register for some!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I want to know why the last three sets of sheets, clearly labeled "Queen," were way too big for my mattress. Sort of like they expected the mattress to be ten inches high. Come on, it's a standard queen!
  • I want to know why the last three sets of sheets, clearly labeled "Queen," were way too big for my mattress. Sort of like they expected the mattress to be ten inches high. Come on, it's a standard queen!

I'm having the opposite problem! I keep buying extra extra deep and they keep not fitting and sliding up. It's so obnoxious every morning we have to pull our corners down.

• @lolo883:  Blew my mind with this little feature! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!

That is an amazing invention!  All sheets should have that.

We ended up getting sheets with stripes, so we just have to look at the way the stripes are going to tell if we have the sheet the right way or not before we try to put it on.  Now all we have to worry about is whether or not it is inside out.
  • Kelani23 said:

I love the "Pure Beech" modal sheets from BB&B.  With my new mattress though, and it's topper, it's about 17" high, and none of the 10 sets of Pure Beech will go on anymore :-(

Pure Beech are great.  I've never owned them but I worked at BBB so I know exactly what you mean.  Oh hey.... we should register for some!
    If you have a short enough mattress, I should just send you one of mine!  I'm crazypants about them, so I've only taken I think 2 out of the original package :-P

• jenna8984 said:
    I want to know why the last three sets of sheets, clearly labeled "Queen," were way too big for my mattress. Sort of like they expected the mattress to be ten inches high. Come on, it's a standard queen!

I'm having the opposite problem! I keep buying extra extra deep and they keep not fitting and sliding up. It's so obnoxious every morning we have to pull our corners down

I bought those sheet suspenders that go over the corners and under the mattress. 

Now I had to buy the extra extra extra deep ones from target! lol  I love that they have 2 sets of elastic at each corner!

• I bought a set of striped sheets from Big Lots. The stripes went from side to side! Couldn't tell that from the packaging. Messed up my sleep big time. Sheets.
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Kelani23 said:
    jenna8984 said:
    I want to know why the last three sets of sheets, clearly labeled "Queen," were way too big for my mattress. Sort of like they expected the mattress to be ten inches high. Come on, it's a standard queen!

I'm having the opposite problem! I keep buying extra extra deep and they keep not fitting and sliding up. It's so obnoxious every morning we have to pull our corners down

I bought those sheet suspenders that go over the corners and under the mattress. 

Now I had to buy the extra extra extra deep ones from target! lol  I love that they have 2 sets of elastic at each corner!

The set I got from target has those! But it's not a deep mattress- but a thinner memory foam one, so it isn't necessary for me, but I can tell it is a cool feature.

Most of my sheets are from Macy's. One day sale FTW. 
  • theexactleetheexactlee member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    I buy EVERYTHING at Ross, it's my go to store. But yeah, last 2 pair of sheets I bought there were like, totally lopsided weird and pillows wouldn't fit in the cases and it was just a ridiculous mess. They were that fancy Ashley Miller brand too. Right now I'm sleeping on 1200ct Egyptian sheets and they are amazing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ElcaB said:
    We bought the $20 t-shirt sheets from Target for our guest room & even though they're not luxurious, they're so comfy. Our guests are always raving about them. 
    That is what we have in our guest room.  Guests say they are happy about them.    DH is a sheet snob, nothing less than 500 count for us.  Right now I think they are in the 1000 count range.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I too have jersey sheets in my guest room - but I often sleep in there myself in the winter because that room stays warmer than mine. My guest bed is a twin XL, and I have a couple of friends staying tonight, so they're taking my king, so I will get to sleep in the jerseys!

I put brand new sheets on the king today, they are Martha Stewart ones that my grandmother gave me from Macy's.  I actually don't sleep with a top sheet, so they are the only "set" I have for the new mattress, since I didn't think about needing a set.  Thanks grandma!!

How does everyone feel about "microfiber" (ie, polyester) sheets?  They seem so gross to me!!  These MS ones are 30% polyester and even that feels a little strange.

• @Kelani23 I had microfiber sheets for a while. They stay pretty cool, but they are VERY SUPER CLINGY and will bunch up under a blanket like nobody's business. I only put up with them in the summertime because again - they stayed cool.

I don't like jersey sheets because of the same bunchiness they seem to have.

Of course... all my sheets (at least that I've purchased) have come from Walmart sooooooo...... that could be part of it.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • lyndausvi said:

ElcaB said:

That is what we have in our guest room.  Guests say they are happy about them.    DH is a sheet snob, nothing less than 500 count for us.  Right now I think they are in the 1000 count range.

I'm the same way. I blame my mom for teaching me that. However, if well taken cars of, they last forever.

Bedding is one of my biggest issues with FI- he had nasty, ripped Walmart crap when I met him. I came with top quality sheets, down comforters, and duvets that are wayyy too expensive. And he still wants his beat up walmart crap.

We take turns on sheets and currently have our own blankets- but he always steals mine!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards