Just Engaged and Proposals

My journey with a Morganite Engagement Ring (Advice about choosing Morganite for your E-Ring)

Hello Ladies!!
First, I'd like to congratulate everyone who is engaged, or thinking about getting engaged. I know that I am beyond excited, because not only do I get to spend the rest of my life with my soulmate, I also have the most beautiful ring ever ;) (well, to ME it is!)
So basically, I did A LOT of research about morganite engagement rings. I literally sat infront of my computer for weeks obsessing over cut, color, setting, etc. My fiance was not going to buy me a ring without my approval (because well, it's a really large investment), and so after researching and researching online, I ended up in a Zales, discovering something that no one really told me in the first place.
DO NOT BUY A MORGANITE RING AS A CHEAP ALTERNATIVE. I put that in caps, because that was the assumption that I had going into getting my ring, as I am a very thrifty person in general. I had no idea that a quality morganite ring was going to be pretty expensive.
I had it narrowed down to two rings, an absolutely perfect ring that had a larger price tag (like a MUCH larger price tag), and a similar ring that was of less quality but MUCH MUCH cheaper. I wanted to be responsible, and pick the cheaper ring. I wanted morganite because it was beautiful, but also because it wasn't as expensive as other options. So, instead of going with the really expensive (perfect) morganite ring, I settled for the cheaper one, assuming that it wouldn't matter.
But it did. I hated that ring.
At first, I was so thrilled I found such a beautiful ring at such a great price. It was almost exactly what I envisioned. Then I got the ring back from sizing. I wore it for a week, and I hated it. It felt wrong. It didn't feel bridal. It felt like a pretty ring, but I didn't feel like it was my engagement ring. Plus it looked MUCH better in the store.
After lots of tears, my wonderful understanding fiance went with me to return to the ring, and get the more expensive morganite e-ring I fell in love with the first time.
I learned that just because a ring was morganite, didn't mean it was going to be cheaper than a regular diamond ring. Morganite rings can be pretty expensive when it comes to getting a good quality ring. Mine was over $1,000. 

The second misconception of morganite rings is the durability; I am not a very rough person. I work in an office, I don't like to get dirty, I wash my hands a lot. I am not the perfect picture of someone that needs a durable ring. I am careful with it, and mindful that I am wearing it, so I haven't had a problem with durability. 
It does however, get cloudy easily. But, its easy to clean; just use a soapy non-abrasive cloth and it will sparkle like new. 
I love my morganite ring; it's timeless, beautiful, and I've even had people tell me that it's "extraordinary" :)
Go with your gut ladies! (and don't use Morganite as a cheap alternative, I promise that if you do, you'll hate it)

btw, my ring is a cushion cut peach Morganite stone, with a rose gold setting, and 1/5 ct diamond halo. It's perfect :)

Re: My journey with a Morganite Engagement Ring (Advice about choosing Morganite for your E-Ring)

• I'm not actually in the market for any new jewelry right now but for future reference... what made the other stone/ ring "imperfect" and the one you ended up with perfect? And you said it was much cheaper... like $200 vs. $1200 or...? I understand if you don't want to lay down actual figures. And finally, for how long have you had your ring? 
  • @lilacck28 I don't mind!! My first ring was a special clearance item, and it was $300. My ring now, was regular priced at $1300. So, the difference was very substantial, and as much as it pains me to say it, there is SUCH a difference. The second ring is so much more bridal, and the quality is crazy different.
  • @lilacck28 The quality was the main difference, I don't know what it was exactly. The cut was wrong on the first one, it wasn't as pretty of a stone, the setting was much -cheaper- in quality, and the ring itself didn't look/feel like an engagement ring. And I've had my ring for about a month now. : )
  • Thanks! and I'm impressed with my guess for the difference in price. I was pretty close! 
  • Be very careful with your ring.  Morganite is a beryl (aquamarine, emerald) which is a softer stone.  It can easily be scratched.  Congratulations on your engagement.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • beautiful ring!
  • I also have a morganite, and it's absolutely perfect for me. You're right with everything you said - you CAN get a cheap morganite ring, but you will be paying more for a better quality stone. That being said, if my ring had a diamond center stone instead of morganite, the price would have been RIDICULOUS - same with yours. 

Congratulations, morganite sister :) 

Here's mine, for reference:

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Because I'm a rally complicated girl ( this i certainely because I'm French...) I decided to make my ring created by a jeweler to have a unique one. I chose a regular diamond and I wanted morganite all around. He disadvised me saying that it was a too fragile stone. Because I absolutely wanted a halo of pink stones he told me to choose pink sapphires. The colour is a little different but I'm really happy of the result and more reassured by the solidity of the stones. Anyway, your ring is just amazing, nice choice and congratuations :)
  • I think that anytime you choose something based on price rather than quality, that you will be unhappy with the quality.

I'm happy that you're ultimately happy with your ring, and it IS gorgeous!
  • Hello! I also found a morganite ring and fell IN LOVE with it after seeing it on a random blog!  It is the perfect ring for me!  After saying that, my ring definitely gets cloudy very easily... I think because it's hard for me to clean the underneath, as it's in a setting that makes it hard to clean the underneath.  

Does this sound like that's what's causing it to become cloudy to you, just one bride to another?  Mine will start to look cloudy, and like you I wash my hands a lot, after it dries.

Thoughts anybody?
  • Hello! I also found a morganite ring and fell IN LOVE with it after seeing it on a random blog!  It is the perfect ring for me!  After saying that, my ring definitely gets cloudy very easily... I think because it's hard for me to clean the underneath, as it's in a setting that makes it hard to clean the underneath.  

Does this sound like that's what's causing it to become cloudy to you, just one bride to another?  Mine will start to look cloudy, and like you I wash my hands a lot, after it dries.

Thoughts anybody?
    I got a soft toothbrush, squirt a little foaming hand soap out, and brush it, and it comes up mega sparkly. If you go with a small, soft toothbrush (like one made for little kids), you might find that it gets underneath, despite the setting. Mine is pretty open underneath, so I don't have to worry about the setting, but give it a shot! 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• kayella2014kayella2014 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2015
    Hello Friends!

I am all for morganite engagement rings. I saw morganite for the first time this summer and fell in LOVE! We picked our ring from Zales, and I love it! I want another one! Not only are they more affordable than diamonds, but they are more rare. Because they are affordable, I have already put in my request to have a new one every couple of years. 

Morganite stones do get cloudy, as all beryl attracts oil, which then attracts dust, which leads to a lovely grimy mixture on your ring :-P.  Morganite cleans easily and you can always get your stone back to brilliant condition following some directions by Sam N Sue (http://samnsue.com/blog/how-to-clean-morganite-jewelry.html). I clean my stone once or twice a week with a baby toothbrush. In addition to the directions given by SNS, I use a quarter teaspoon of baking soda to two sprays of Windex and two ounces of spring, distilled, or just-not-tap  water (it has a lot of hard minerals). I use this to brush with, before rinsing in soapy water. Baking soda is great for jewelry as it provides scratch-less cleaning. 

I plan to get my next piece from Sam N Sue. Their collection is decadent! Morganite is still fairly uncommon as an engagement ring, so you will still be the talk of the town if you do choose a beautiful stone and setting. The rings are like no other. Morganite is also used in gem therapy so the stone is pleasant to look at all the time. 

You can clean the stone and setting professionally once a year as well to maintain a beautiful sparkle and to buff any surface scratches the ring may endure. Additionally, you have to try VERY hard to put a crack in this thing. It is not as hard as a diamond, but is not that soft either, coming in between a 7.5 and and 8 on the mohs scale of hardness. In all, it is a lovely alternative to a diamond, and I will never go back-- and this is my birthstone! I am trying to see if I can get this to be an alternate birthstone for Tuareans. :-D

The last thing I just learned about morganite is that you need to get a bigger stone in order to show off the brilliance of morganite. Smaller beryl stones don't cut well at all. And a poorly cut big stone just looks like a pretty pink window. The oval cut of my ring is fair to good. FMS's ring is an excellent cut that really brings out the rare beauty of that stone.

Pic: top left setting detail, top right my wedding band (solitaire enhancer from Zales), Bottom left first day I got the ring (Aug 29), Bottom right this past Christmas.

• I also have a beautiful morganite ring!!!  Yay!  I thought it was just me, that I used too much hand cream or something and it made it cloudy.  Thanks for these tips!  
    Everyone thought I was a weirdo for having this type of engagement ring, I'm so glad there are others!

LoveCrossesOceans
  • abbyandjadeabbyandjade member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2015
    I have a morganite ring as well!
    It's actually very similar to yours! :) I love it!

• @abbyandjade where did you buy your morganite ring? its BEAUTIFUL!
  • Ruthie1529Ruthie1529 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2015
    Morganite is the best!!!! I just got engaged on valentines day on Catalina Island!! Here's my beautiful 1.5 carat cushion cut morganite with 1/4 carat halo diamonds in rose gold. it could not be more perfect!! I also agree that a quality morganite stone is worth it. just like diamonds you get what you pay for, there is a reason for cheaper stones so just make sure you do your research. :)  (I posted pics but they're not showing up full size- just click the little boxes to view) 
    and Congrats to all the above engagements! your rings are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
  • Hello Ladies!!
    First, I'd like to congratulate everyone who is engaged, or thinking about getting engaged. I know that I am beyond excited, because not only do I get to spend the rest of my life with my soulmate, I also have the most beautiful ring ever ;) (well, to ME it is!)
    So basically, I did A LOT of research about morganite engagement rings. I literally sat infront of my computer for weeks obsessing over cut, color, setting, etc. My fiance was not going to buy me a ring without my approval (because well, it's a really large investment), and so after researching and researching online, I ended up in a Zales, discovering something that no one really told me in the first place.
    DO NOT BUY A MORGANITE RING AS A CHEAP ALTERNATIVE. I put that in caps, because that was the assumption that I had going into getting my ring, as I am a very thrifty person in general. I had no idea that a quality morganite ring was going to be pretty expensive.
    I had it narrowed down to two rings, an absolutely perfect ring that had a larger price tag (like a MUCH larger price tag), and a similar ring that was of less quality but MUCH MUCH cheaper. I wanted to be responsible, and pick the cheaper ring. I wanted morganite because it was beautiful, but also because it wasn't as expensive as other options. So, instead of going with the really expensive (perfect) morganite ring, I settled for the cheaper one, assuming that it wouldn't matter.
    But it did. I hated that ring.
    At first, I was so thrilled I found such a beautiful ring at such a great price. It was almost exactly what I envisioned. Then I got the ring back from sizing. I wore it for a week, and I hated it. It felt wrong. It didn't feel bridal. It felt like a pretty ring, but I didn't feel like it was my engagement ring. Plus it looked MUCH better in the store.
    After lots of tears, my wonderful understanding fiance went with me to return to the ring, and get the more expensive morganite e-ring I fell in love with the first time.
    I learned that just because a ring was morganite, didn't mean it was going to be cheaper than a regular diamond ring. Morganite rings can be pretty expensive when it comes to getting a good quality ring. Mine was over $1,000. 

The second misconception of morganite rings is the durability; I am not a very rough person. I work in an office, I don't like to get dirty, I wash my hands a lot. I am not the perfect picture of someone that needs a durable ring. I am careful with it, and mindful that I am wearing it, so I haven't had a problem with durability. 
    It does however, get cloudy easily. But, its easy to clean; just use a soapy non-abrasive cloth and it will sparkle like new. 
    I love my morganite ring; it's timeless, beautiful, and I've even had people tell me that it's "extraordinary" :)
    Go with your gut ladies! (and don't use Morganite as a cheap alternative, I promise that if you do, you'll hate it)

btw, my ring is a cushion cut peach Morganite stone, with a rose gold setting, and 1/5 ct diamond halo. It's perfect :)
    That.is.GORGEOUS!!!

I'm in love with a similar ring with a pink stone. :) But we're eloping and not doing an engagement ring. If we did though, I'd want something very similar to yours. How lovely!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards