Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Options for Not-So-Lady-Like Feet

OK ladies, I am absolutely clueless about this, but I'm hoping I can get some advice...

I'll be the first to admit my feet are in pretty bad shape.  Callouses, torn skin, the majority of toenails either missing or torn to the quick, you name it.  I have a pair of peep toe shoes for the wedding, so they won't be showing much (thank goodness), but I'm wondering what my options are to get them a little prettier for the big day.  Would it be worth spending the money for a pedicure?   Are they able to do anything when there's not much nail to work with?  (I've had exactly one pedicure in my life, and the woman made some snide remarks about my feet.  I was embarrassed and never went to get another one.)  Should I just slap some nail polish on the nubs I have and call it a day?  Options and advice welcome, thanks!
Anniversary

Re: Options for Not-So-Lady-Like Feet

• Options
    OK so real talk (and probably TMI, sorry in advance!):

Part of the damage done to my feet is from dermatillomania (aka "repetitive and compulsive picking of skin which results in tissue damage"), which I've been struggling with (and have been mortified of) for about 20 years.  Happily, I've gotten better dealing with it over the years and now it's just my feet, so it's not as noticeable in public (I used to go to town on my hands, arms, and face).

I know it's so silly to be so concerned about my feet (I KNOW no one will even notice them).  But looking at them always makes me so...angry/depressed/not beautiful, because of what they represent.  And I just want to feel confident and gorgeous from head to toe come August.

SO thank you two fold: one, for all your great suggestions and advice.  (In addition to gross feet, I'm just clueless in general when it comes to beauty stuff.)  And two, thank you for reminding me that some of those battle scars I see are aweomse.  Callouses from climbing.  Black toenails from the half marathon I ran.  It's not all bad stuff.

So thanks again @JasperandOpal, definitely have some ideas now...and I feel a little better about my troll awesome-adventure-having feet!   
    Anniversary

• Options
    I feel like our feet have a lot in common.  If you have picked the soles of your feet or your toes recently and you decide to go for a pedicure, I would recommend that you ask them not to do any form of callous removal that is more extensive than rubbing the dried skin with a pumis stone.  A couple of gentle rubs with the pumis stone will remove the hanging pieces of skin without going too deep so as to be painful.  Some salons offer "callus removal" and they use a mini sanding tool and I think that might aggravate any areas where the skin is thin due to picking.

You might find that having regular pedicures helps reduce the "pick-ability" of your feet as well because, over time, it will make your feet smoother and more moisturized and there will be less areas to pinch at and pull the skin (less dry areas, smaller cuticles, smoother nail tips so its hard to find a good area to hold on to to start the tear).  Obviously, as its a compulsion, this might not help, but it could be worth trying. 

• Options
    Before I go to bed at night I put foot cream on my feet and put on cotton socks. I do this every single night. It will help keep your feet soft. I also use a soft pumice stone in the shower on my heels and any rough areas. This will help get rid of any loose skin. 
  • Options
    Find a salon you feel comfortable at and treat yourself to a good pedicure. It may help you feel better about your feet. Then maybe more regular pedicures will help with your healing because a good pedicure feels relaxing and who wants to mess up pretty feet? Good luck!!!
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I have dermatillomania, too.  I try to keep it to my scalp so that it is more hidden, but yeah, it sucks.

Anywho, personally, I wouldn't spend the money for a pedicure.  I would get a corn and callous trimmer and use that on the callouses.  It looks like this:
    image After doing that, I usually buff with something ( I use this http://www.onyxbrands.com/#!product/prd1/1657675575/hoof) then use lots of moisturizer on my feet.  
    As for the toenails being so short, maybe you can try some nail strengthening stuff so you can grow them a bit if you want.  I use Sally Hansen Miracle Cure on my finger nails and it seems to work fine and looks like I am wearing a clear coat of polish.
  • Options
    doeydo said:
    I have dermatillomania, too.  I try to keep it to my scalp so that it is more hidden, but yeah, it sucks.

Anywho, personally, I wouldn't spend the money for a pedicure.  I would get a corn and callous trimmer and use that on the callouses.  It looks like this:
    image After doing that, I usually buff with something ( I use this http://www.onyxbrands.com/#!product/prd1/1657675575/hoof) then use lots of moisturizer on my feet.  
    As for the toenails being so short, maybe you can try some nail strengthening stuff so you can grow them a bit if you want.  I use Sally Hansen Miracle Cure on my finger nails and it seems to work fine and looks like I am wearing a clear coat of polish.
    In my hands, a corn or callous remover (or those pedi-eggs) is really dangerous.  I have used them as tools to manufacture areas that were better for picking, so I would tread cautiously in that arena (thats why I get pedicures, if I don't own the tools, I can't use them against myself). 
  • Options
    My feet are in good shape, but my toenails (with the exception of my big toes) are nearly non-existent.  I have no idea why, but they're literal slivers.  Painting them is basically pointless.  Even though I'm wearing close-toed shoes under my gown, I'm going to soak my feet in some nice epsom salts the night before, and just apply some coconut oil to keep them soft.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards