Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Each course, different table?

I thought this up the other day and can't see any down side, so if there is one someone please point it out! Our reception dinner will have three courses. Our guest list is small enough that if we have three tables set for eight people each, each table would have two extra spots. I'm thinking we should switch tables between courses. Doing table visits with 16-18 people in attendance seems silly. This way we can spend 20 minutes (ish) at each table, still get to eat and avoid all the weirdness of a sweetheart table which I do not like at all. Thoughts related to this idea?

Re: Each course, different table?

• I think it would be fine.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I also think that would work fine.  for such an intimate wedding I think that sounds great, actually!
  • mrs4everhartmrs4everhart member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014
    Thank you! I couldn't see any reason why this could be problematic but thought I should check. I originally wanted to do one big rectangular table but because of some family dynamics separate tables seemed wisest. Plus, who wants to try to shout down to the far end of the table? I'm excited to spend a bit of time with each small group!

Edited: punctuation pre-coffee is tough stuff!
  • That sounds like a great way to get to chat with everyone at your wedding.
  • csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    This should work if you are assigning tables.
  • csuave said:
    This should work if you are assigning tables.
    As much as I hate it, as much as I am so icked-out by doing one, we are going to assign tables and seats. The only issue now is there are three wild-card guests and I may have to bag the three rounds for a rectangle after all, because it would seem awkward to still have three tables (that apparently can accommodate 10 instead of 8, so they're pretty big) and have one with six, one with three, the last with three, which if all 3 unconfirmed, possibly last minute guests didn't show would be how it ends up. If we end up with the rectangle I may reserve the two ends for Mr. E and the seat to his right at both ends and still swap sides halfway through so we can sit with the other half of our guests for dessert then cake. 
  • I think as long as you let the venue know your plans so they aren't caught off guard, this is a great way to spend time with your guests & a very unique idea too.

•  I think putting 6 people at 3 tables a little odd.  I would just do one long table or 2 tables.  With 16-18 people it's not like you will not get to speak to everyone at some point.  No table visits really needed in this case.    

If you want to keep 3 tables your plan is fine.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:

I think putting 6 people at 3 tables a little odd.  I would just do one long table or 2 tables.  With 16-18 people it's not like you will not get to speak to everyone at some point.  No table visits really needed in this case.    

If you want to keep 3 tables your plan is fine.

SIB*********************

Normally I'd agree with the 6 people each / 3 tables thing being a little weird. I figured it would be less weird since Mr. E and I would make each table a table of 8 for at least 20 minutes at a time. And given the dynamics of the group it was best to keep some people apart as much as possible. But right now the guest list is sitting between 15-18 people and I'm probably not going to know about the final 1-2 people until extremely last minute. As aggravating as that is for planning purposes, I think it will be a whole lot easier to just do one big rectangle and be done with it.
  • 2 spots at an 8 person table is 25%. I think it's weird to have 25% of the seats at a 2/3 of the tables empty for 2/3 of the meal. A large group you would not notice. Only 3 tables it's more noticeable that there are 4/6 empty seats. It's weird. Especially if it's a round table. It's like half the moon will be missing at all the tables. Not sure if the 15-18 included you or not. But I would do 1 big table or 2 tables of 8-10 depending on how your guests break down into groups (i.e. not all may be couples)

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    2 spots at an 8 person table is 25%. I think it's weird to have 25% of the seats at a 2/3 of the tables empty for 2/3 of the meal. A large group you would not notice. Only 3 tables it's more noticeable that there are 4/6 empty seats. It's weird. Especially if it's a round table. It's like half the moon will be missing at all the tables. Not sure if the 15-18 included you or not. But I would do 1 big table or 2 tables of 8-10 depending on how your guests break down into groups (i.e. not all may be couples)

SITB***********************************

We just finished the seating chart, with Mr. E kind of making it sound like I was performing double root canals on him. We went with a large rectangle with the two ends and the seats to the right at each end reserved for us. We'll switch before dessert and cake to hang out at the opposite end. I would have preferred to have even gone with two rounds but putting his Dad too close to his Mom and Stepdad might cause too much awkwardness. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards