Chit Chat
Options

Ikea sheets suck

2»

Re: Ikea sheets suck

• Options
    Ah, SHEETS.  When I went to college, I was living in a dorm which had twin extra-long beds. I just had regular twin sheets.  So I chose to buy this dorm package the college was offering. It came with a comforter, sheets, pillow cases, two towels, four wash clothes and a mini-lamp.  WASTE OF MONEY!

So first off, the set was pink.  PINK.  I hate pink with a passion.  I like dark pink or more corally shades sometimes and can even handle pastel in small amounts.  This was pepto bismol/bubblegum pink, which I abhor.

The sheets and pillow cases and towels were that pink.  Fortunately, the comforter was mostly black and white with just a little pink and the washcloths were black and the lamp was white.  So for half the semester, I was fine covering up the bed with another quilt I had.  But the sheets were the worst.  All the bedding was ... I think it's microfiber?  It was kind of slippery and slightly shiny.  Dust and hair clung to all the bedding like nothing else.  So gross.  And the sheets were cheap.  Almost every morning, I'd wake up and the corners had popped off.

Half-way through the semester I bought nice cotton pale blue sheets from Lands End that matched my quilt.  I threw away the pink sheets.  I threw the comforter in the giveaway bin at the end of the semester. The towels I still use occasionally when I have to, but they were also cheap, thin and small. The washcloths are OK.  The lamp, I just gave away in our last move.  It was USB-powered and was pretty much useless.

I'm still mad about the wasted money.

Now, for bedding, we have flannel sheets from Lands End.  I don't like them because I don't like flannel sheets and they were the worst for fuzzies coming off.  I told H never again!  We are getting cotton sheets next time!
  • Options
    Ah, SHEETS.  When I went to college, I was living in a dorm which had twin extra-long beds. I just had regular twin sheets.  So I chose to buy this dorm package the college was offering. It came with a comforter, sheets, pillow cases, two towels, four wash clothes and a mini-lamp.  WASTE OF MONEY!

So first off, the set was pink.  PINK.  I hate pink with a passion.  I like dark pink or more corally shades sometimes and can even handle pastel in small amounts.  This was pepto bismol/bubblegum pink, which I abhor.

The sheets and pillow cases and towels were that pink.  Fortunately, the comforter was mostly black and white with just a little pink and the washcloths were black and the lamp was white.  So for half the semester, I was fine covering up the bed with another quilt I had.  But the sheets were the worst.  All the bedding was ... I think it's microfiber?  It was kind of slippery and slightly shiny.  Dust and hair clung to all the bedding like nothing else.  So gross.  And the sheets were cheap.  Almost every morning, I'd wake up and the corners had popped off.

Half-way through the semester I bought nice cotton pale blue sheets from Lands End that matched my quilt.  I threw away the pink sheets.  I threw the comforter in the giveaway bin at the end of the semester. The towels I still use occasionally when I have to, but they were also cheap, thin and small. The washcloths are OK.  The lamp, I just gave away in our last move.  It was USB-powered and was pretty much useless.

I'm still mad about the wasted money.

Now, for bedding, we have flannel sheets from Lands End.  I don't like them because I don't like flannel sheets and they were the worst for fuzzies coming off.  I told H never again!  We are getting cotton sheets next time!
    Yeah... microfiber sheets. Not a fan.

Flannel sheets though? FI will KILL ME but I swear I'm going to try and find two sets of sheets in the same color, one in cotton and one in flannel. I love flannel sheets. They are so warm and they're great for wintertime, even in AL winters that don't even get all that cold (usually). They go on in October or November and don't come off until March. 

Of course, I also have (at last count) 15 different throw blankets that usually go on top of my bed in September... so there's that.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    When I met FI, he had polyester sheets and a duvet cover that was satin on the top. I had 100% Egyptian cotton and high threadcount bedding. Today I found him comparing 500 and 1000 threadcount sheets. Never thought I'd see that...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We have two twins because we have adjustable beds. The sheets for adjustables are insanely expensive. I splurged a couple of years ago and boy, there were the worst sheets I'd ever slept on. We kept them because they stayed on the beds. After a million washes, they finally became acceptable. When I was shopping for the guest room, I picked up Target's Threshold brand (the bed was also a twin). I think my mouth dropped open when I opened the package and found very deep sheets with two sets of elastic and the side tag. I immediately tried it on one of our beds and it fit even better than the sheet made for adjustable beds. The cost per fitted sheet? About $12. They come in great colors as well as organic. And, oh so soft. I have about eight of them now.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • Options
    Bedding is my biggest splurge, I figure I spend 1/3 of my life in bed so it should be a comfortable little piece of heaven. All of my sheets (I have 3 sets) are 1,000 count Egyptian cotton, they cost about $200 a set but they've held up over the past 8 years without pilling, getting rough, tearing, staining (white sheets & oxyclean!). I consider them an investment and don't foresee buying sheets again for a long time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards