Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cheesecake

I'm thinking of having mini cheesecakes and then on top have a small cake in the shape of a wine barrel to cut. It's a rustic wedding. What are y'all's opinion?? Denise
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cheesecake

• When is your wedding?  Is the reception inside or outside?  Cheesecake is more perishable than your average wedding cake, so I would not use cheesecake if it was expected to sit out a long time (more than 2 hours at room temp), especially in an outdoor or unventilated setting.

If you want to serve cheesecake, I would just have the small cutting cake on display and a note your website or menu card that cheesecake was the dessert of choice.
    Anniversary

• The wedding will be in fall inside venue
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Will there be any other desserts?  Cheesecake is kind of polarizing- people either love it or hate it.  As long as there is something for every guest to enjoy, your idea sounds very pretty.
  • I didn't think about people not liking cheesecake. Maybe I'll do mini cheesecake and cupcakes?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Denise40 said:
    I didn't think about people not liking cheesecake. Maybe I'll do mini cheesecake and cupcakes?

SITB

I think that would be a great idea.  I personally do not understand someone not adoring cheesecake as much as my entire family seems to, but I am told these people do exist.  They would surely appreciate cupcakes.
  • I love cheesecake personally but I know that there are people who do not, so I'd have an alternative dessert for them if you are going to serve cheesecake as the main dessert.
  • I'd eat a bite of my husband's cheesecake, but prob not my own slice. It's not really my thing--I like cake and fruit a lot better. I'd kill some mini cupcakes though. I had cupcakes at my wedding and they were a hit.
  • scribe95 said:
    Out of curiosity, I have never seen a bride told on here to have a second dessert other than cake in case some people don't like it. And, as some posters can attest, lots of people don't like cake. So why the difference with cheesecake? 
    I think of dessert in the same way as the entree.  We usually tell brides that they should have options for their guests to choose from for their main meal because not everyone may like roast beef.  Same should be said for dessert.  I think it would be fine to serve only cake but you should have differing flavors to choose from (yes I know some people don't like cake but that percentage is most likely comparably smaller to those who do not like cheesecake).  So with cheesecake, since you run a higher risk of people not liking your dessert another option would be nice.

But in the end if you decide to serve me roast beef and cheesecake and that is all then I will deal because you are hosting me properly (you are providing me food).

• Thanks for all the opinions! It really helps. This is my second wedding. Got married 31 years ago. Times have changed. Lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESECAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

I love it. 
  • My mom makes a killer cheesecake.  Now I want some.
  • Yum....can you have some topping options off to the side, like fruit or chocolate. That would be amazing!!!
  • Erikan73 said:
    Yum....can you have some topping options off to the side, like fruit or chocolate. That would be amazing!!!
    I'm not sure. The company has like 20 different flavors and then special ones at different times of year
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •     I'm not the biggest fan of cheesecake (although I think the Dulce de Leche at cheesecake Factory is to die for!). However I have been to a few weddings where cheesecake was offered and no other dessert options. I don't think you are a bad host if you only provide cheesecake (you are feeding everyone, after all). I think you are more thoughtful host if you provide more than one option, however. 

You're right, we don't tell brides who are only having cake to have a second option. Probably has to do with tradition and cake is traditionally served at weddings. Cheesecake only is more unexpected.

For the record, we are having Creme' brulee and cake!
  • @Fairjen1 Thanks for your input. I'm thinking of a candy/sweets table since wedding is only few days before Halloween I'm also going to have gourmet caramel apples as a favor at each seat.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiance really wants cheesecake at our wedding since it is his favorite. I haven't yet determined how we can pull this off (our destination wedding venue has some limitations on outside vendors), but I hope we can do it somehow (maybe grooms cake?) to make him happy. So I am excited to hear that other couples are looking at cheesecake as an option.

I am a little surprised that some previous posters have suggested that you need a non-cheesecake dessert option because cheesecake is more polarizing than regular cake. Maybe I'm not experienced enough with weddings to have a valid opinion, but it seems unfair to expect the host/hostess to provide a variety of dessert options.  I would never go to a wedding expecting that there must be a regular cake, but maybe that's because even though I love dessert I rarely feel like a meal needs dessert to be properly hosted.  If over a mealtime, I generally hope that there would be some variety of food options, but I always feel like dessert is just a major bonus. 
  • My fiance really wants cheesecake at our wedding since it is his favorite. I haven't yet determined how we can pull this off (our destination wedding venue has some limitations on outside vendors), but I hope we can do it somehow (maybe grooms cake?) to make him happy. So I am excited to hear that other couples are looking at cheesecake as an option.

I am a little surprised that some previous posters have suggested that you need a non-cheesecake dessert option because cheesecake is more polarizing than regular cake. Maybe I'm not experienced enough with weddings to have a valid opinion, but it seems unfair to expect the host/hostess to provide a variety of dessert options.  I would never go to a wedding expecting that there must be a regular cake, but maybe that's because even though I love dessert I rarely feel like a meal needs dessert to be properly hosted.  If over a mealtime, I generally hope that there would be some variety of food options, but I always feel like dessert is just a major bonus. 

Thanks for the info. I'm not crazy about cheesecake but FI is
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like your idea to do cheesecakes and cupcakes. Probably because that's what I did for my own wedding. I LOVE cheesecake and wanted to do that as our cutting campus. So we also did cupcake favors. But both cheesecakes went pretty quick in my crowd.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Well, it's not an "expectation" on the guests' part so much as a hope on the couple's part that their guests will enjoy themselves and the provisions.  They don't have to like every single thing, but if there's only one dessert and it's not universally popular, that comes off like the hosts cutting corners without considering their guests' needs.  If they know that a lot of their guests don't like cheesecake, then making that the only dessert comes off as pretty inhospitable, regardless of the hosts' personal tastes.  Not a good thing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards