Wedding Etiquette Forum

padded chairs at the church

Soooo... I'm just going to start by saying I'm on a tight budget. 
  I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to decorate a chair like this:image
(only brown) for a wedding ceremony. My church has chairs like these, and I haven't even been able to find pictures of folks decorating this kind of chair. Any ideas???

Re: padded chairs at the church

• I would save your money. People understand church chairs aren't pretty. If you are on a right budge, it is best to use your money elsewhere.

If you MUST, you can always do chair covers but the costs adds up very fast
  • Don't worry about decorating them. They are chairs. The only time people notice chairs is when there are a lack of them and they have nowhere to sit. 

Once people are sitting in them you don't even be able to see the chairs in photos. Spend your money on other things! 
  • I would skip decorating the chairs and just worry about the aisle.  First you need to ask what you can and cannot do in regards to decorations in your church.

You could line the aisle with tall glass vases filled with water and submerged flowers and floating candles.  Line the sides of the aisle with petals.  Attach a tulle/greenery garland down the sides of the chairs along the aisles.  You could just decorate the last row of chairs with garland on the back.  Or you could just do nothing and focus your attention up at the alter since that is where the majority of your guests will be looking and will be the main back drop for pictures.

• I agree with PPs.  As long as there is a chair for me to sit in, I don't notice much else.
  • Yes. Just like this.

Once you put a person in it, you don't notice how ugly the chair is. Ta da!

In all seriousness though, you are overthinking this. Those chairs are perfectly inoffensive and don't need to be decorated or covered. They'll fade away into the background.

• Ditto, Maggie. Just do aisle decorations if you want a little something at the ceremony. 

Chair covers are overpriced, uncomfortable, and unattractive. These are neutral cushy chairs; they'll be totally fine. 
  • *chuckles* Thank you. I guess what I'm trying to say is actually that I was hoping to decorate the aisle I'd be walking down. I don't mind how they look.. just trying to figure out how to put up flowers on either side of the main aisle :)
  • KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    My reception venue had similar-ish chairs, only uglier, and forest green. I did decide to cover those and don't regret it; however, if they had been shaped more like yours, had been brown, and had been in the ceremony room only, I wouldn't have. Yours are decent and neutral is what I'm saying, especially in brown. They will completely blend into the backdrop, especially with people sitting in them. I really wouldn't worry about it!
  • I'm trying to figure out how to do aisle decorations on that type of chair. Sorry for the confusion:)
  • *chuckles* Thank you. I guess what I'm trying to say is actually that I was hoping to decorate the aisle I'd be walking down. I don't mind how they look.. just trying to figure out how to put up flowers on either side of the main aisle :)
    Ahh, gotcha. 

You could try a garland of some sort, but I'm going to guess your best bet with these chairs would be to have markers (vases, candles, lanterns, etc.) on the ground that line the aisle instead of attached to the chairs. 
  • Thank you PDKH! That's a good idea. I honestly couldn't think of an alternative that would be cost effective :) 
  • I really love the look of decorations on the ground rather than attached to the chairs. Just be careful if you're using candles and have a ballgown. You'll want to be sure you have room to walk without knocking them over. :)

If you do want candles or flowers positioned higher but don't want them attached to the chairs, you can use shepherd hooks designed for indoor use.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards