Favors

Alternative Jordan Almond Poem

My wedding is mainly traditional, though my fiance and I already have 5 & 7 year old daughters together. I really like the idea of the five Jordan Almonds for a wedding favour as it's traditional. But the traditional poem reads: "Five sugared almonds for each guest to eat To remind us that life is both bitter and sweet. Five wishes for the new husband and wife – Health, wealth, happiness, children, and a long life!" Well, we already have the children and aren't planning more, should i replace the children with something else i.e. 'Passion' or add to the children part. i.e. 'Lively Children'. Or - as it's a traditional thing, is it considered a non-no/faux pas to mess with it. Thanks

Re: Alternative Jordan Almond Poem

• My wedding is mainly traditional, though my fiance and I already have 5 & 7 year old daughters together. I really like the idea of the five Jordan Almonds for a wedding favour as it's traditional. But the traditional poem reads: "Five sugared almonds for each guest to eat To remind us that life is both bitter and sweet. Five wishes for the new husband and wife – Health, wealth, happiness, children, and a long life!" Well, we already have the children and aren't planning more, should i replace the children with something else i.e. 'Passion' or add to the children part. i.e. 'Lively Children'. Or - as it's a traditional thing, is it considered a non-no/faux pas to mess with it. Thanks
    My suggestion is that you replace the almonds with something else.  I don't know of anybody who actually likes Jordan almonds. 

• What about just skipping the poem all together? You could just add a label with your names and wedding date. Nice and simple.
    *********************************************************************************

• I am one of the only people in the world who seems to like Jordan almonds!   Don't shun me. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Poem:

Yes I know Jordan almonds are cliche and taste bad...
    The girls on TheKnot told me the guests would be sad...
    I know if I'd spent the money on another app or drink, you'd be glad...
    But I did this anyway because I think my idea is rad.

In all seriousness, save the money.  Or put it towards something else.  I don't take favors like Jordan almonds.  I don't think they taste good, I always wonder who handled them when putting them in the blah little mesh bags/whatever container, and I wonder where they were stored/how old they are/etc.  Poems on everything is cheesy.  People want to make cutesy poems to have their guests move chairs, bring potluck dishes, turn off their cell phones, etc.  It's out of control.

If you already bought the almonds, mail them to @AddieCake since she's the only person to ever like them.  That way, they aren't a total waste.

Some nice traditional favors: nothing.  Money spent on a really good meal with cocktails or wine.  Or something more likeable like mini bottles of liquor/maple syrup/etc.  Or store bought twin packs of truffles.

• @Knottie41474328 You'll be well-liked here.  You come here looking for advice and actually took it.  Most of the people just wanted to be told their ideas are perfect.
  • Thanks ladies. A big help. Going to go with personalised Hershey's kisses instead
    Mmmm, I think this is a MUCH better alternative!  Chocolate for the win!
  • Viczaesar said:
    My wedding is mainly traditional, though my fiance and I already have 5 & 7 year old daughters together. I really like the idea of the five Jordan Almonds for a wedding favour as it's traditional. But the traditional poem reads: "Five sugared almonds for each guest to eat To remind us that life is both bitter and sweet. Five wishes for the new husband and wife – Health, wealth, happiness, children, and a long life!" Well, we already have the children and aren't planning more, should i replace the children with something else i.e. 'Passion' or add to the children part. i.e. 'Lively Children'. Or - as it's a traditional thing, is it considered a non-no/faux pas to mess with it. Thanks
    My suggestion is that you replace the almonds with something else.  I don't know of anybody who actually likes Jordan almonds. 
    *Raises hand* MEMEMEMEMEME.

I'll take yours.
  • I have been doing some research on different traditions, and the Jordan almonds actually originated in Italy... Being my FH has Italian roots, I had thought of using them but not as a favor.. Like a bowl with the poem ... Not sure.

• 1) Jordan almonds are disliked by 99% of the population.

2) A bowl of unwrapped candy is even worse.  As in, unwrapped candy that people can put their dirty hands in?  Precisely why I never eat bar nuts or take those soft dinner mints, even if there's a spoon in them to try to keep hands out.

Still no.  Someone's fingers are going to go in there to pick out the pretty bright pink one.
  • @atlastmrsg... I know what you are saying.... That is yucky... One reason, I am not gonna do it in a bowl... Most of our guest are family... We are probably gonna have around 50 people ... And a few of them are diabetics .. Uh, so ... I did t want anything too sweet ...I haven't fully decided yet.
  • I'm glad you're going with Hershey's kisses!  I don't like Jordan Almonds.  I would not take a favor if they were the almonds, but I would definitely take kisses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards