Wedding Etiquette Forum

Black Tie Welcome

This was listed on a wedding invitation I received today. First time I have seen that!

Anniversary

Re: Black Tie Welcome

• Another couple who has no idea what Black Tie actually means.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• The wedding is at 4:30, which doesn't black tie have to start at 6pm or later? 

Also - this is the wedding I was venting about a few months ago that my 20 year old sister didn't get a guest invite for her boyfriend of 3 1/2 years….

Anniversary
  • PDKH said:
    AKA 

"We aren't shelling out to host a black tie event, but we'd like you to show up in black tie to make us look good at your expense."

I think you should take your cue from Liatris, and RSVP with a big note saying how exciting you are about gloved service, valet, top shelf booze, and the all-important and necessary bathroom attendant!
    This is a backyard wedding at their summer home on a lake…. which has a septic system that won't handle all their guests so we will be using porta-potties…. in black tie attire…. 

Anniversary
  • Ah hell no. 

ESCAPE

Anniversary

• PDKH said:

AKA 

"We aren't shelling out to host a black tie event, but we'd like you to show up in black tie to make us look good at your expense."

I think you should take your cue from Liatris, and RSVP with a big note saying how exciting you are about gloved service, valet, top shelf booze, and the all-important and necessary bathroom attendant!

This is a backyard wedding at their summer home on a lake…. which has a septic system that won't handle all their guests so we will be using porta-potties…. in black tie attire…. 

Yeah that is like the total antithesis of a black tie event. Wow, lol!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    As if other weddings would kick someone out if they showed up in a tuxedo or something.
  • There's nothing wrong with their venue - it sounds great and really pretty. But it's DEFINITELY not anywhere even close to black tie. Tux or evening gown + porta potty = disaster. 

Why do people think well-dressed guests will make their party fancier? Just... no. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Long, formal gowns should not be accessorized with porta-potties. (Shudder).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just would like to say that this thread has taught me much about what Black Tie actually entails. I had some ideas, but never looked it up since I am definitely not having a black tie wedding. Thanks, gang!
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Some Black Tie event criteria:
    • Event begins after 6pm
    • High end, indoor venue
    • Valet service provided by the Bride and Groom
    • Gloved service
    • Hand passed hor d'ourves
    • Top shelf open bar with full wine list and preferably with a sommelier on site to assist with wine choices.
    • Multi course gourmet level plated meal- generally 5 to 7 courses, and preferably with dual entrees or tableside ordering
    • Real china, silver ware, glassware, linens, etc
    • Multi piece live band and and a DJ or secondary performers for when the main entertainment takes breaks
    • High end decor and custom lighting

• doeydo said:
    As if other weddings would kick someone out if they showed up in a tuxedo or something.
    This is exactly what I told my mom the other day when she asked if my step-dad was "allowed" to wear his tux to my wedding. There's no upper limit on the dress code, dress as nicely as you're comfortable!

• Some Black Tie event criteria:
    • Event begins after 6pm
    • High end, indoor venue
    • Valet service provided by the Bride and Groom
    • Gloved service
    • Hand passed hor d'ourves
    • Top shelf open bar with full wine list and preferably with a sommelier on site to assist with wine choices.
    • Multi course gourmet level plated meal- generally 5 to 7 courses, and preferably with dual entrees or tableside ordering
    • Real china, silver ware, glassware, linens, etc
    • Multi piece live band and and a DJ or secondary performers for when the main entertainment takes breaks
    • High end decor and custom lighting

Stuckindabox

Thank you!

This is making me very excited for my friend's black tie wedding next summer. I feel like the fanciest party I've ever been to is my prom, which did NOT have a sommalier on site (lame!). It'll be fun to go to a big do as an adult.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Black tie... back yard... porta potty....

Excuse me *leaves to get holy water and fire*

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Oh my......! You should definitely wear a short sundress and flip flops!

• I had nowhere near a black tie wedding, and my one defining criteria when choosing our outdoor venue was NO PORTA-POTTIES. No way was I going to get into one in my wedding gown, especially near the end of the evening. Yikes!
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards