Chit Chat
Options

Update on the job search

So, my boss is on vacation for two weeks. She more or less left three days early, didn't tell anyone what would need to be gone in her absence, or even tell us where she's going. There was just a flurry of frantic, half-baked emails this morning on what was supposed to be her last day in the office before taking off. Thankfully, I only gone one of the emails- an invite to a client presentation for a project I'm not on, the week after she returns, fun times.

I met with a recruiter today. She has my info and my resume. We'll see what happens! They also have offices in other areas- including Seattle and Denver. I let her know, however, that my husband finding a job takes precedent over me finding a job because I'm more easily employable than him. I.e there's only two companies located in Denver that do what he does. He's applied to both and hasn't heard back yet. But one of the jobs, he knows someone who works for the company, so hopefully that will help him out.

He applied to another Bank of America job on Friday morning. The job is located out of Charlotte, NC. They emailed him first thing Monday morning to let him know that the job isn't eligible for relocation (i.e. they won't pay for him to move there) and asked if that was ok. He said yes and boom- they invited him to interview. HIs boss spoke to that job's boss and said that husband's resume really stood out to him. It would be a good career move for him if they decide to up his pay enough. Moving from job to job within the bank doesn't provide the kind of pay bumps you get if you transfer to a different bank. He sent me some houses around Charlotte and I'm super impressed with what you can get out there! The trees and the land are awesome, totally what I envision our kids growing up with.

I don't know what I think of NC though. I'll move there, because I know if we don't like it, we can always leave. But I've never been there before so I have no idea what to expect. Closest I've been is Nashville, Tennessee, which I loved. I don't know how I'll handle the humidity. There's been some storm activity here today, so it's 93 degrees right now and 38% humidity and it is just oppressive! I'm sure I'll get used to it. If I can get used to it being 93 degrees at 10 pm, I'm sure I can get used to the sticky south... right? I'm also a little concerned about being that far away from everyone we know. Right now, we're a six hour drive from family. In NC, we'd be an 8 hour plane ride. Also not so sure about politics. We're pretty progressive, although I did hear that the 4th District Court overturned gay marriage bans today, so that's good. Also, AZ is pretty freakin' crazy. But that is one reason why I was so excited about Denver.

He's only been invited to an interview so far, so nothing is decided yet. But, if he stays at BofA, or moves to Wells Fargo for that matter- he's going to end up in Charlotte. It's just the best career path for him. 

That's my update- I'll let you know how the interview goes. The manager leaves for vacation Thursday, so he may not get in before then. 

Re: Update on the job search

• Options
    Fingers crossed for you and your FI!
  • Options
    NC is wonderful. Best of luck to both of you!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Good luck to you both! 
  • Options
    I lived in Charlotte for 8 years and it was great (except for the traffic). Homes are still affordable and you can find anything from new construction to older homes on tree lined streets. If you have kids/are planning to have kids DO NOT buy a house in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School District... It is a big cluster... Some schools are okay, but most of them are a disaster. Nice airport, an amusement park, NASCAR track, museums, several lakes, shopping, I can't imagine anyone would actually hate it. Good luck!
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    You meant 83% humidity, right? Cuz 38% would be gorgeous. We average in the 80s in MI in the summer and yeah, it's disgusting. I think you do get used to it though.

Good luck with everything!

• Options
    Good luck!
    Happiness is an inside job
  • Options
    Good luck!
  • Options
    I can highly recommend NC. We can meet up for mimosas sometime!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You meant 83% humidity, right? Cuz 38% would be gorgeous. We average in the 80s in MI in the summer and yeah, it's disgusting. I think you do get used to it though.

Nope- 38. We're absolute babies when it comes to humidity out west. It is not uncommon for us to see single digit humidity and sometimes, it literally gets down to 2 or 3%. Which has its own issues. Stock up on lotion and chapstick because it's impossible to not dry out. Oh, and our UV rating is often times at 11 or 12 on a scale that I'm convinced used to be 1-10 but had to be amended for Phoenix. But I think the human body can get used to anything if you give it enough time and have the right mindset. It's actually really interesting, a few weeks ago when it was around 108 I was thinking "hey this isn't so bad!" But now that we're thinking about moving, suddenly 108 feels like the hottest I've ever experienced.
  • Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    Update- husband has a phone interview today. He's freaking out because he doesn't feel like he's had enough time to prepare. He wanted me to test him on all the new policies today, but at least he read the policies last night, so he's aware of what they are. And since it's a phone interview... I guess he can have notes. 

So hypothetically, if we move to Charlotte, where is a good place to look for hip, young families to live? We don't want to be in the city, but a place with some area for our dog and future children.
  • Options
    SBmini said:
    Update- husband has a phone interview today. He's freaking out because he doesn't feel like he's had enough time to prepare. He wanted me to test him on all the new policies today, but at least he read the policies last night, so he's aware of what they are. And since it's a phone interview... I guess he can have notes. 

So hypothetically, if we move to Charlotte, where is a good place to look for hip, young families to live? We don't want to be in the city, but a place with some area for our dog and future children.
    Huntersville is kind of "hip", right on Lake Norman and easy commuting distance to down town...  I lived in Concord which was nice and family friendly (great schools) but not "hip".  I think most of the hip areas are going to be close to down town...

South Park area is more ritzy...
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    Charlotte is nice.

My BIL is a big wig at BoA in Delaware.  

I'm from DE, I like that area. If NC doesn't work out I have not problem recommending looking at BoA jobs in DE. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Good luck!
  • Options
    So exciting! God luck to him!

image   image   image

• Options
    edited July 2014
    SBmini said:

Nope- 38. We're absolute babies when it comes to humidity out west. It is not uncommon for us to see single digit humidity and sometimes, it literally gets down to 2 or 3%. Which has its own issues. Stock up on lotion and chapstick because it's impossible to not dry out. Oh, and our UV rating is often times at 11 or 12 on a scale that I'm convinced used to be 1-10 but had to be amended for Phoenix. But I think the human body can get used to anything if you give it enough time and have the right mindset. It's actually really interesting, a few weeks ago when it was around 108 I was thinking "hey this isn't so bad!" But now that we're thinking about moving, suddenly 108 feels like the hottest I've ever experienced.
    Oh. Um. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but... 38% is really low for NC. The Weather Channel says Charlotte is currently sitting at 67% humidity. According to WeatherSpark:

The relative humidity typically ranges from 36% (comfortable) to 92% (very humid) over the course of the year, rarely dropping below 20% (dry) and reaching as high as 100% (very humid).

The air is driest around April 11, at which time the relative humidity drops below 43% (comfortable) three days out of four; it is most humid around August 5, exceeding 89% (very humid) three days out of four.

Prepare for levels of hair fluffiness you've never seen before. And days when you never feel like you've completely dried off after a shower.

ETA: I realized I totally misunderstood what you said earlier - I thought you were saying that NC was 38%, but it's 38% where you are now. Sorry, reading fail.

• Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    Haha, yeah, I'm saying that because I'm miserable at 93 degrees is 38% humidity, I know I'm in for a shocker if we move to Charlotte. I don't know what humidity is and I don't know how to handle it. But actually- my hair has the opposite problem. It is SO fine and smooth that moisture makes it heavy and flat. My hair gained a lot of volume when I moved from CA to AZ. We'll see if that changes.
  • Options
    Is there any sort of a tropical reptile habitat at a zoo near you? Go there. That's what places like NC feel like in the summer.

Not trying to hate on NC at all, I just really, really hate humidity. I deal with it because I have to, but man it's awful. You need to know what you might be getting yourself into. When it's muggy, it feels like getting punched in the chest when you walk outside. I get dizzy and short of breath. You can't cool down when the dewpoint is too high because sweat won't evaporate off your skin when there's too much moisture in the air. You wear a lot of ponytails.

I like this website for scoping out neighborhoods! I've found it to be pretty accurate for places I've lived. http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/

• Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    We have a butterfly exhibit thing that is in a very humid, tropical room. It is oppressive. So is 110, but it's a different type of oppressive. The whole not being able to cool off thing is what sounds worse to me. At least in AZ we have misters and swamp coolers that do a lot to reduce the heat. Does it at least get bearable at night? Also, what about being active? Can you walk the dog or go for a hike? In AZ we have to wake up at like 5 am to do these things in summer otherwise it gets so hot that the environment litterally tries to kill you. 
  • Options
    This will probably not have any effect on your decision but just wanted to throw it out there. My mom's a travel agent and she lives about 1.5 hours from Charlotte so it's her main airport that she uses to travel. She's always bitching how expensive the flights are. Like DC to Jamaica will be $400 but Charlotte to Jamaica will be $800. It's not a major metropolitan airport like Phx or Den so if you plan on flying home often to visit family that might be a factor. They don't really rank too high in state public school rankings (for the kids) but they are only one ranking away from AZ (22 & 23 when I just Googled). Connecticut, Massachusett, and Maine are consistenly in the top 5 so I never want to leave this area until my future children have gone to school here lol.

• Options
    (Note - I live in Michigan, but the times I've been the Carolinas in summer/fall the weather was similar to here. Winter is a different story - you'll get way better weather in the winter than our bazillion feet of snow.)

What I've experienced, the evenings are really nice. Mornings can already be steamy, but it tapers off to be totally walkable by dinner time or shortly thereafter. It'll still be more humid than what you're used to, but you should be able to get used to it. 

• Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    jenna8984 said:
    This will probably not have any effect on your decision but just wanted to throw it out there. My mom's a travel agent and she lives about 1.5 hours from Charlotte so it's her main airport that she uses to travel. She's always bitching how expensive the flights are. Like DC to Jamaica will be $400 but Charlotte to Jamaica will be $800. It's not a major metropolitan airport like Phx or Den so if you plan on flying home often to visit family that might be a factor. They don't really rank too high in state public school rankings (for the kids) but they are only one ranking away from AZ (22 & 23 when I just Googled). Connecticut, Massachusett, and Maine are consistenly in the top 5 so I never want to leave this area until my future children have gone to school here lol.
    Yep, looked at flights already. Looks like we can expect to spend $1,000 on airfare any time we want to fly home. Which sucks, but isn't the end of the world. As for school rankings, not spectacular for sure, but I never, ever, ever want to live in New England. I'll just have to supplement education at home, like my parents did for me in CA- which is also extremely lackluster when it comes to education.
  • Options
    Re: being outside for walking and hiking, it is awesome to do that in the evenings. At night it gets really pleasant around here. I especially love summer evenings on the patio, drinking and playing board games!
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Why never New England? I agree, education at home is a big factor.

• Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    edited July 2014
    I don't want to deal with that much snow in addition to humid summers. I don't want to do both. Being outdoors is very important to me and any place where I can't do that for extended periods of time is not a place I want to live. 

The interview went really well! It's going to take a few weeks for him to get an answer, however, due to the manager's upcoming vacation. But that's fine as it will give him some time to investigate other options too. 
  • Options
    Sweet good luck!! Do you think you would rent out your home or try to stay behind until you sold it?

• Options
    I like NC. Never spent much time in Charlotte, but went to HS in Raleigh and my parents have lived in Greensboro & just outside of Asheville, so I've spent a ton of time there. Pros - it's gorgeous…and you've got the mountains (I love me some Blue Ridge, dare I say more than the Rockies of Colorado?) AND the ocean (OBX = heaven). Cons - schools suck (some great colleges, though). Like really suck. When I moved from IA to NC as a Freshman, I was shocked at how much lag there was in curriculum. It's was also a pretty big culture shock (very southern baptist, and I was honestly appalled & heartbroken by some of the racism/sexism I witnessed. Way different from my midwest upbringing). And as previously mentioned, travel to/from can be expensive.

Sooooo, long story not-so-short…good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My sister and her family live in Waxhaw, which is south of Charlotte. They picked the area mainly for the schools. They are way better than Charlotte Mecklenburg. But it's also a really nice area with affordable homes and plenty of shopping and restaurants. It's fairly easy to get downtown for an event or evening out, and there's a commuter rail that my BIL can take downtown to work, to save gas.
  • Options
    I live in NC and love it. I've lived here all my life and I couldn't imagine moving anywhere else. Afew things to think about:
    1. Weather: Yes, It is crazy humid and it gets really hot, but the evenings are the times you want to go for a walk or sit on your front porch. The fall here is absolutely amazing and you'll get to experience some amazing college football during that time. Winter is a hit or miss. It can be warm and 60 degrees or cold and snowing. I have always said that it you want to experience all four seasons within a week, then move to NC. So true.
    2. Charlotte and Mecklenburg schools aren't that great. That being said, most public schools aren't that great in NC. However, with parental support children can still do well and exceed. Personally, my brothers and I all did fine. 
    3. Also, I would also recommend not living in the heart of Charlotte. I have family in Concord and it is absolutely gorgeous there.
    4. The best part about NC is that you are so close to the mountains and the beach for quick day trips to either area and have a nice vacation.

• Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    I did a little research last night on potential jobs for me. Lowes is located north of Charlotte, which I would be a great fit for. There's also so automotive companies and agencies downtown. Thinking I may want to pursue real estate too, I think it's a great career for people with kids because the hours tend to be reverse of 9-5 and super flexible. 

Husband got a reply today from the guy he interviewed with. He has a few more interviews but should be making a decision "soon". They want someone who can start quickly which will make this whole thing interesting if he gets it. What is cool is that where he's moving to, he'd be the person that everyone at his current location would have to call for help/guidance... even his current boss's boss. Which is making his boss very giddy with excitement. 
  • Options
    @SmileDamnit You don't happen to be a Saint Mary's girl??
    eyeroll
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards