Attire & Accessories Forum

Is this too much for a tropical outdoor wedding?? (pics)

I had always pictured a simple, maybe lacey gown for our destination wedding in Hawaii. We are literally going to be in the jungle by a waterfall and will probably take some pictures on the beach as well. Every dress I try on is just "okay" except for this one that I love. It seems like maybe it's too fancy for it's setting though, what do you think???

imageimage

Re: Is this too much for a tropical outdoor wedding?? (pics)

• I don't think it is too much at all.  I think it really comes down to how you accessorize and how you do your hair and makeup.  I think that dress could really be "dressed up" to be fancy or "dressed down" to be a bit more simple for a tropical wedding.

I would nix a veil and have your hair down or in a very loose, soft updo with maybe some pretty tropical flowers as an accent.  Wear either flats or wedges to help with walking on the uneven ground.  And for jewelry you could do a statement necklace/bracelet if you want or you could keep it simple.

• I agree with @Maggie0829. I think that dress is gorgeous and could be made to work with your wedding in Hawaii. My only suggestion would be making sure that you can handle the heat in that dress. I looked at similar dresses when I was shopping for my wedding and the combination of fabric type and quantity of fabric was going to lead to me being too hot for my own outdoor wedding. But so long as the dress breathes and you will be comfortable in it, I say go for it!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I think if there's ever a time to be overdressed, it's your own wedding. Only thing I would be worried about would be sweating my ass off, but if you love it, go for it! I like Maggie's suggestions.

• eliza621eliza621 member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for your advice ladies! I really do like it, and it fits SO well. I was planning on incorporating some tropical flowers :) I will have to experiment with hairstyles though. I can't remember if it felt heavy but have another appointment for this Sunday and will have to see how it feels.
  • First of all, you look fabulous in that dress. In addition to what the pp said about warmth issues, since the bottom portion of the dress is fitted all the way to your knees, will you be able to walk ok to get to your ceremony location in it? Just mentioning it because I'm guessing you probably won't have a nice flat area to walk like you would in a building.

• My friend wore that EXACT dress on the beach for her Cancun wedding, although I think she had the train shortened. I didn't think it was too much at all. I was expecting you to post like a giant poofy ballgown.

• It's really gorgeous and I don't think it's "too much" at all. You're getting married for pete's sake! Wear what you want. You look lovely!

Things I'd be sure to consider: 

- material like that isn't very forgiving - think about the heat and whether it will show sweat/mist from the waterfall.. will you be hot in a dress of that cut?
    - your venue - will you be walking on any uneven terrain or using stairs? It's not as easy in a fit and flare gown like that.
    *********************************************************************************

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Not too much at all, IMO.  The only thing would be that maybe the material would make you super hot.
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    Like @doeydo and some other PP have said, I'd worry about the fabric way more than the level of fanciness. It looks awesome on you. If it's the dress you love, go with it. Honestly if I went to a wedding, whether it was on a beach or where ever, I'd be a little disappointed if the bride wasn't in a really fancy dress.
  • If you love it, go with it. PPs gave you some things to think about in terms of fabric. Overall, I think that it's all about how you accessorize the dress. @maggie0829 had some excellent suggestions. And FWIW - you look fantastic in that dress!
  • It's gorgeous on you.  PPs have given great advice.  I'd only worry about that beautiful train getting dirty. 
    Happiness is an inside job
  • It looks wonderful on you!  PPs have summed it up all very well.  And don't worry about getting the train dirty.  They always get dirty, even at indoor weddings.  A good cleaner should be able to sort it out for you when you get back, and if not, it would look great if you dyed it.  It's not a style that screams "wedding" and would work well for another formal occasion.  Apologies if that's a strange suggestion.  Mum dyed hers, and although she never wore it again, I've pulled it out of the closet a few times.

Good on you for being able to handle the heat!  I had to wear this for a few hours for a Thai wedding and it was horrendously uncomfortable.  It had a really heavy bodice, but a lighter skirt.  It was sweltering!  
  • Wow, thank you for all of the compliments!! :) I feel a little more secure in my dress choice now. I knew I liked it but haven't heard too many opinions on it yet. I only had my grandmother with me and she was too busy trying to chase after my crazy 1 year old haha! 

I can't be entirely sure of the ceremony area as there are only a few photos of it online. I'm not too concerned about getting the dress dirty though. I may need some assistance navigating the jungle terrain, he can always carry me right? lol Hopefully when I try it on again the fabric won't feel too heavy.. I don't even have a runner-up dress. Everything else was just blah :P
  • @eliza621 You're completely right!  He can carry you.  It's untraditional, and potentially a little unsafe, but I like that idea.  Otherwise, you can always consider wearing some slip flats to get to the ceremony area and having one of your ladies carry your shoes for you, then slipping the heels on once you're on more solid ground.
  • PPs have already said everything that I was going, but I just wanted to add--your wedding sounds BEAUTIFUL, you better come back and show us pics when all is said and done!
    Anniversary

• @eliza621 Nope, I think that dress is perfect! It's still dressy and simple at the same time. Will it held in a hotel or are you having a beach reception? I'm having a tropical outdoor wedding in Mauritius in January but in a 5 star hotel and this is what I'm wearing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Is that the Oleg Cassini line from David's Bridal? If it is, I tried on the exact one. I loved it, it is so beautiful. But it felt hot and heavy for me and I ultimately went with a lace one that was a lot lighter and was very happy with  my choice.
  • eliza621eliza621 member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2014
    I ended up buying this dress today! I originally wanted to try on other dresses for fun/just in case another one was amazing.. but once I got there it just seemed like a chore and like I was avoiding the inevitability of buying this dress lol. Also none of my family showed up who was supposed to come besides my mom :( but oh well. I love it and that's what matters! It didn't feel heavy at all, in fact my mother was sweating in the store and I felt totally fine. Last time I tried it on with a petticoat and this time it was just the dress, which felt a lot lighter.

@raissyrais Your wedding sounds beautiful and I love your dress! There will only be a few of our family and friends at our wedding so we just plan to have a nice dinner out afterwards :) our wedding itself is in the jungle at a waterfall haha. I'm sure my dress will get dirty but I don't mind. Maybe we'll toss in a "trash the dress" photoshoot lol.

@sarahufl this one is just plain old David's Bridal collection haha. I do love how it fits though, and didn't feel hot when I tried it on today.
  • Go with your gut when it comes to dresses! Yours is perfect! I'm sure it'll be a blast. If you love it then everyone will love it :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congratulations! It's a gorgeous dress, and you'll look wonderful. x
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards