• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Etiquette

Black Tie Welcome

This was listed on a wedding invitation I received today. First time I have seen that!

Anniversary

Re: Black Tie Welcome

• PrettyGirlLostPrettyGirlLost A Land Filled with Unicorns and Cat Hair member
    5000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its First Answer
    Another couple who has no idea what Black Tie actually means.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

chibiyuisouthernbelle0915Blue_Birdjules3964
  • The wedding is at 4:30, which doesn't black tie have to start at 6pm or later? 

Also - this is the wedding I was venting about a few months ago that my 20 year old sister didn't get a guest invite for her boyfriend of 3 1/2 years….

Anniversary
  • PDKH said:
    AKA 

"We aren't shelling out to host a black tie event, but we'd like you to show up in black tie to make us look good at your expense."

I think you should take your cue from Liatris, and RSVP with a big note saying how exciting you are about gloved service, valet, top shelf booze, and the all-important and necessary bathroom attendant!
    This is a backyard wedding at their summer home on a lake…. which has a septic system that won't handle all their guests so we will be using porta-potties…. in black tie attire…. 

Anniversary
    [Deleted User]
  • chibiyuichibiyui The Boring Part of MD member
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 5 Answers
    Ah hell no. 

ESCAPE

Anniversary
    Blue_Bird

PDKH said:

AKA 

"We aren't shelling out to host a black tie event, but we'd like you to show up in black tie to make us look good at your expense."

I think you should take your cue from Liatris, and RSVP with a big note saying how exciting you are about gloved service, valet, top shelf booze, and the all-important and necessary bathroom attendant!

This is a backyard wedding at their summer home on a lake…. which has a septic system that won't handle all their guests so we will be using porta-potties…. in black tie attire…. 

Yeah that is like the total antithesis of a black tie event. Wow, lol!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• doeydodoeydo Southwestern Ontario member
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary 5 Answers
    As if other weddings would kick someone out if they showed up in a tuxedo or something.
  • There's nothing wrong with their venue - it sounds great and really pretty. But it's DEFINITELY not anywhere even close to black tie. Tux or evening gown + porta potty = disaster. 

Why do people think well-dressed guests will make their party fancier? Just... no. 
    *********************************************************************************

PrettyGirlLosttheartistformerlyknownas
  • Long, formal gowns should not be accessorized with porta-potties. (Shudder).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    PrettyGirlLostmysticlTeddy917
  • KatieinBklnKatieinBkln (NO SLEEP TIL) Brooklyn! member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary
    I just would like to say that this thread has taught me much about what Black Tie actually entails. I had some ideas, but never looked it up since I am definitely not having a black tie wedding. Thanks, gang!
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
    Some Black Tie event criteria:
    • Event begins after 6pm
    • High end, indoor venue
    • Valet service provided by the Bride and Groom
    • Gloved service
    • Hand passed hor d'ourves
    • Top shelf open bar with full wine list and preferably with a sommelier on site to assist with wine choices.
    • Multi course gourmet level plated meal- generally 5 to 7 courses, and preferably with dual entrees or tableside ordering
    • Real china, silver ware, glassware, linens, etc
    • Multi piece live band and and a DJ or secondary performers for when the main entertainment takes breaks
    • High end decor and custom lighting

southernbelle0915doeydo
  • theartistformerlyknownastheartistformerlyknownas peaced out. member
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers First Anniversary
    doeydo said:
    As if other weddings would kick someone out if they showed up in a tuxedo or something.
    This is exactly what I told my mom the other day when she asked if my step-dad was "allowed" to wear his tux to my wedding. There's no upper limit on the dress code, dress as nicely as you're comfortable!

PrettyGirlLost
  • KatieinBklnKatieinBkln (NO SLEEP TIL) Brooklyn! member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary
    Some Black Tie event criteria:
    • Event begins after 6pm
    • High end, indoor venue
    • Valet service provided by the Bride and Groom
    • Gloved service
    • Hand passed hor d'ourves
    • Top shelf open bar with full wine list and preferably with a sommelier on site to assist with wine choices.
    • Multi course gourmet level plated meal- generally 5 to 7 courses, and preferably with dual entrees or tableside ordering
    • Real china, silver ware, glassware, linens, etc
    • Multi piece live band and and a DJ or secondary performers for when the main entertainment takes breaks
    • High end decor and custom lighting

Stuckindabox

Thank you!

This is making me very excited for my friend's black tie wedding next summer. I feel like the fanciest party I've ever been to is my prom, which did NOT have a sommalier on site (lame!). It'll be fun to go to a big do as an adult.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Black tie... back yard... porta potty....

Excuse me *leaves to get holy water and fire*

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

PrettyGirlLostchibiyui
  • jenna8984jenna8984 clam bakes & patriots member
    Oh my......! You should definitely wear a short sundress and flip flops!

• Cookie PusherCookie Pusher Looking over your shoulder member
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    I had nowhere near a black tie wedding, and my one defining criteria when choosing our outdoor venue was NO PORTA-POTTIES. No way was I going to get into one in my wedding gown, especially near the end of the evening. Yikes!
    ~*~*~*~*~

PrettyGirlLost
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards