Moms and Maids

MOB dresses too "matronly"?

Hello all! Can anyone give suggestions about where to find "normal" mother-of-the-bride dresses online or in stores? I think the typical MOB dresses are too "matronly" looking; they either have too much glitz, lace or are too "matchy-matchy", and neither of those things really suit my mothers style. I want her to be in something comfortable, yet age and occasion-appropriate. Any suggestions?

Re: MOB dresses too "matronly"?

• Where would she buy a dress for any other occasion?  Try there.

• Just look in the special occasion section of any department store. My mom found her dress at Dillard's.
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Everything @NYCMercededes said. My mom found her MOB dress for my sister's wedding last year at Macy's and it was gorgeous! Stick with your typical department stores or try White House Black Market or Ann Taylor.

Photo for proof :)

• Alot of the dresses targeted at MOBs/MOGs come with a little matching jacket that (IMO) tends to be matronly.  Just because they come together doesn't mean the jacket needs to be worn with the dress.  If your mom wants a little more coverage, she could buy a coordinating wrap or jacket that's less matchy-matchy.
  • My Mom and I were looking online the other day and Macy's seemed to have the best options. She especially liked the brands "Adrianna Papell" and "Pissaro Nights". We can't buy anything yet beause she's having bariatric surgery at the end of the summer but I'm so excited for her!
  • My Mom bought her dress through the Jim Hjelm BM/special occasion section.

I have found that most dresses labeled as MOB dresses are very matronly and ugly.  Have your Mom look in the formal section of department stores and also at bridesmaid dresses in bridal salons.

• BHLDN has a line of MOB dresses that are really pretty. I even kind of want a few of them!
  • Ven&Radio said:
    Alot of the dresses targeted at MOBs/MOGs come with a little matching jacket that (IMO) tends to be matronly.  Just because they come together doesn't mean the jacket needs to be worn with the dress.  If your mom wants a little more coverage, she could buy a coordinating wrap or jacket that's less matchy-matchy.
    That and pleated skirts.  Your mom could look for a dress that doesn't have a pleated skirt.
  • My mom bought one of the "party dresses" at David's Bridal - not a MOB/MOG dress. It was a long emerald green one strap dress. She looked beautiful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My mother found her the dress she actually wore at Liberty's of London five days before my twin sister's wedding. She actually bought herself another, more traditional MOB dress from a department store here in Germany three months before the wedding, but decided she didn't like it a week before the wedding. Her dress for my elder sister's wedding was a maternity dress she had specially made for her, since she was 7 months pregnant with my twin sister and I at the time.
  • My mom was the same way, we just went to different department stores until she found something that fit her style.  
  • My mom is fairly young, and she gravitated towards BM dresses. This worked out well for her as she was able to get the colour she wanted (ruby red) and in a non-matronly style. Double win!
  • Another plug for BHLDN. Some of their MOB dresses are downright gorgeous. Also, Macy's has a large selection of different kinds of dresses; I think that they have a better selection than Nordstrom.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • My mom is too sexy for the ugly mother of the bride sections in the stores. She is tall, slim and fit. She has the same issue! I refuse to see her in a MUM's dress. But I am running out of options of what I see online. So I told her to look at the Evening gowns in nice dept. stores. She is still looking. She doesn't want to look too sexy, but they are really good ones at Bloomingdales, Saks, although expensive. She is waiting for the clearance time, maybe she can knock a large discount. So I am with you.
  • If you're in an area with smaller, independent shops (and you guys enjoy shopping), it might be fun to make a day of it and see if anything jumps out at you from a rack somewhere.  I live in the middle of nowhere, but the town near me has a really neat store with things you wouldn't find in a chain store.  We popped in one day last time my mom visted me (I wasn't engaged at the time), and she bought this RIDICULOUS dress that looks amazing on her.  After I got engaged she asked if it would be okay if she wore that dress rather than buying a new one.  I think it's a great idea.  It's a fantastic dress, and she looks super hot in it.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards