Chit Chat

Football Weddings

Anyone having their wedding on a game day and have some funny stories to tell?

A good portion of my guests are big Auburn fans, and our wedding happens to start at the same time as a game. Luckily it's a no count game, but we've already had a couple decline because they want to stay at home and watch the game! It's a little funny to me because they really wanted to come, but, nope, game time!

My dad is already saying we may have to get some tvs out to the ceremony site so people won't leave (and because he feels very strongly about watching games). My pastor even said I was lucky he favored me because he normally won't do a wedding during game time. 

At my parents wedding, people had EAR PIECES in to hear football games and left shortly after the ceremony to go watch.  I'll never understand!

Re: Football Weddings

• @Krcb - We're one of those people, sorry.   We love football and we love our home team.  So does our entire family.   If we had scheduled it during a game day it would've been chaos.  If it was during game time, forget the ceremony - no one would've been there.  

We have also declined a wedding because of this.   We love the couple and gave them a nice gift, but it fell on game day Sunday that was the traditional day with family and our team.  

I'd recommend or suggest having TVs set up for the game - it's a nice gesture and your guests will appreciate it.  If not, don't be surprised if you have lots of 'earpieces' or phones out watching the game that way (if they come to the wedding).    It's definitely rude, but when it comes to sports and their favorite team, some people are just diehard fans.
  • I went to a wedding last November on the Saturday of the big state rivalry game. Almost everyone in the state has ties to one team or the other so it's a really big deal. 

It boarders on an etiquette faux pas to schedule anything on that day - but they did. And everyone was on their phones THE ENTIRE ceremony and reception. I felt bad for the couple, but just kind of shrugged.
    *********************************************************************************

• I did! We had the game on in the cocktail hour area. People were watching before the ceremony, and then a big crowd pooled by the TV during cocktail hour. We delayed the reception by about 40 seconds so everyone could watch the Giants score the winning touchdown. There was cheering and then we had the reception. A few people made jokes about not coming because of football, but as far as I know, no one actually stayed home to watch TV.
  • I know a couple who is having their wedding on a big game day and decided to have TV's playing the game during the reception.

• Having lived in the North and the South (go Auburn), the North is definitly not as obsessed. We enjoy the NFL but practically no one gives a rat's ass about college football up here. Having lived in Alabama for 6 months, it was a whole new world to me....seeing alumni start tailgating on Wednesday for a Saturday game blew my mind. So I can understand people down there holding that more important to them. Up here, it would be very unlikely. Although we do schedule things like bridal showers on the Patriots "bye" week.

• FI and I are both Ohio State alums, and football is huge to us too.  I made sure to schedule our wedding this fall for the date of an away game, so we wouldn't have to deal with traffic and mass amounts of people around Columbus.  

But the game is at 8:00 p.m., so I'm thinking we'll have to get a TV set up for our reception, if our venue will allow it!
  • I got married the day Joe Paterno got his 400th win (which was later vacated), I am not a Penn State fan by any stretch of the imagination (Hail to Pitt) so this did not factor into planning at all. However, my step family are huge fans and making sure the hotel had the right channel was involved in their travel plans.  Fortunately, it was a night game and I had an afternoon reception. Otherwise I may have lost guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have a friend who will not attend any wedding (or any kind of event for that matter) on a home Texas A&M game weekend.  In his defense he spent $50K to rights to really good seats.  That does not include the price of the tickets for the game.     There are only 6-8 home games.  I don't really blame him.

Our wedding was on non-home game weekend and at 5:30.  The game was at 1pm, so no conflict.  Had the wedding been during the game there is no doubt he would have been on his phone.    

It's all good, we all know that's his deal.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • For a second I thought it was going to be football theme weddings! I'm NEY but I'm pretty sure I would never schedule anything that interferes watching my Seahawks. I'm obessed with them and have spent 10 hours in sport bars to watch the game countless times. I live on the East Coast so I always have to go to sports bars if I want to watch my game. V on the other hand couldn't care less about sports.
  • For a second I thought it was going to be football theme weddings! I'm NEY but I'm pretty sure I would never schedule anything that interferes watching my Seahawks. I'm obessed with them and have spent 10 hours in sport bars to watch the game countless times. I live on the East Coast so I always have to go to sports bars if I want to watch my game. V on the other hand couldn't care less about sports.
    there is a game the morning after our wedding..I fully plan on sitting in my PJ's eating left over wedding food and wedding cake and watching my Hawks win! 

Its always nice to find another 12 :) 
    Anniversary
    there is a game the morning after our wedding..I fully plan on sitting in my PJ's eating left over wedding food and wedding cake and watching my Hawks win! 

That sounds so awesome! I'm very jealous of you ha. I wish I had people who were fans so I had people to watch the games with. V tries and I love him for that, but he gets bored/uncomfortable around the first hour mark. So I usually let him go home since he already did a lot for me. I'm really tempted to go to the seahawks/redskins game but I'm not sure how my school schedule is going to look like. I'm hoping I can go!

That sounds so awesome! I'm very jealous of you ha. I wish I had people who were fans so I had people to watch the games with. V tries and I love him for that, but he gets bored/uncomfortable around the first hour mark. So I usually let him go home since he already did a lot for me. I'm really tempted to go to the seahawks/redskins game but I'm not sure how my school schedule is going to look like. I'm hoping I can go!
    go...its probably cheaper than getting tix here at home to a game. 
    Anniversary

go...its probably cheaper than getting tix here at home to a game. 
    I really want too! I have structure and sedimentary petrology this semester and those are really hard classes. I've told myself if I can swing it and it won't kill me I'm going. It would make life so much easier if I knew my professors brains ha.
  • Our wedding absolutely, positively could not conflict with the NY Giants schedule. DH and his family are huge fans, and DH got me hooked pretty early in our relationship. We got married on a Saturday and they played the following Monday night. No one missed the game.
    Anniversary

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We got married on a Sunday night and had the TVs in the bar area with the game on but muted with subtitles. 
  • @krcb ...Auburn football is actually going to play into the start time of my wedding. FI and I are both alums and since we will be off that Saturday, which isn't guaranteed for him ever, we WILL BE coordinating so that we can watch it. 

At least, I think we will.... hahaha....

....I guess that's sad?
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards