Outdoor Weddings

Firepits

Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but I'm a newbie (hi there!)

My fiance and I finally found our perfect outdoor venue and are so excited to have a great lawn space for lawn games, a dance floor, and firepits. However, my mom is concerned firepits are a dangerous idea, especially when people have been drinking. My arguement is that people aren't stupid (most of the time) and know they are there, plus there will be chairs around them so people will obviously see them. Has anyone had any experience with firepits at weddings? I really love this idea for people who aren't in to dancing and just wanna chill out... plus, s'mores!!!! My fiance doesn't really care about this so now it's just a battle between my mom and myself.

Re: Firepits

• Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but I'm a newbie (hi there!)

My fiance and I finally found our perfect outdoor venue and are so excited to have a great lawn space for lawn games, a dance floor, and firepits. However, my mom is concerned firepits are a dangerous idea, especially when people have been drinking. My arguement is that people aren't stupid (most of the time) and know they are there, plus there will be chairs around them so people will obviously see them. Has anyone had any experience with firepits at weddings? I really love this idea for people who aren't in to dancing and just wanna chill out... plus, s'mores!!!! My fiance doesn't really care about this so now it's just a battle between my mom and myself.
    LOL it's rare when I'm standing around a fire pit without a drink in my hand. I think your mom is worrying over much; unless you are going to make sure there are no steep stairs, no potential projectiles, nothing to ever trip over, etc. There are all sorts of hazards for stupid drunks.

If you're worried, ask your venue staff how it normally goes and if they will have someone on hand to keep an eye on the area.
  • Um, whenever fire pits are involved a cold beer or an icy drink is almost a necessity.

And it is possible that completely sober people could trip and fall into a fire pit.

I think your Mom is overly concerned about this.  

• Is your mom paying for your wedding? If not, then it's a non-issue and you can do whatever you want. 

If she is, you need work this out with her. You could mitigate it by telling her you'll only having one fire pit versus multiple. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I think it would be cool to have a smore station at your wedding. The one thing I would recommend is be careful yourself around the fire especially if you have a puffy dress (flying embers) because you'll less likely to notice if it's on fire.
  • Have the fire pit. We're having a bonfire at our wedding too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it would be great. There are a lot of people like FI and I who don't dance so we'd enjoy sitting by the fire instead of our table all night. I don't think it's dangerous at all. I've been to keg parties in college where people were obliterated and no one fell into the fire lol

• We were toying with the idea of doing a bonfire after our wedding. Our venue offered it as an after party. What made me decide against it was this - most of my guests would be in dressy clothes. Would they really want to stand around a bonfire and get that stinky smoke smell on them while wearing dresses and suits? I've had enough firepits to know that the smell sticks to everything, including your hair! And I always happen to be the person that gets a face full of smoke every 5 minutes. So, in theory, it was a good idea. But when I thought about the logistics, I decided to nix it. 
  • pp does have a very valid point about the smell. I personally love the smell of a campfire. And I love how I can pick up a blanket or jacket we used while around our pit days afterwards and it will still have that campfire smell. If you do have one, make sure to get your dress cleaned shortly after your wedding and don't just put your dress in a bag & forget about it. The smell could get bad after a while & not come out of your dress.
  • Our venue has a fire pit too. It's part of why we booked it. Someone on site lights the fire and adds logs throughout the night so no drunk guests are sticking their hands in there. They said they've never had any issue with their fire pit; no burnt drunks or anything. Your mom is worrying too much. We've never had a summer party without lots of alcohol and a bonfire, and we have yet to find any of our friends with a fire-related injury. Just because the fire happens to be at a wedding doesn't magically make it more dangerous.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards