Attire & Accessories Forum

Unhappy with dress.. Ideas?

I had my dress altered to a sweetheart neckline and I feel like it's crooked and I'm starting to look at my dress and think blahh. Anyone else start to resent their dress? Any ideas to make it look better? I was think about adding little sleeves or a different belt but with the wedding a month away I don't think I'm in the right frame of mind to make decisions.

Re: Unhappy with dress.. Ideas?

• Has it been steamed?  It looks a little lumpy.  Steaming it could help.  Try it on with accessories, too.  Of course it looks blah if your hair is in a knot because you came from the gym and you don't have jewelry on.  Jack it up!
  • I really think you've over-thinking it. Your dress is gorgeous and I don't think the sweetheart top is crooked.

What are you accessories so far? Jewelry, veil, hair accessories? I would definitely think accessories at this point. A chapel length veil would be a show stopper.
    *********************************************************************************

• @atlastmrsg haha, did the fitbit give away my gym rat look? I don't think it has been steamed. I was trying to fix the front. It just looks so odd to me now. As for jewelry I have none as of yet. @southernbelle0915 I just have a veil. It's not chapel length (which I am started to regret a bit) it's the length that is at like by my butt. I wasn't going to do jewelry because the dress is a bit dramatic, but now I just don't know what to do. The alt lady did say I have very broad shoulders which she thinks is making me self-conscious with my strapless dress. I thought about maybe adding those sleeves a la taylor swift in love story but the lady said it might look to princess-y. I am just so overwhelmed at this point and other than the one person who isn't supposed to see the dress I don't trust anyone's opinions because they all just "yes" "you look great" me unlike you ladies who are always honest, which I REALLY appreciate & need.
  • It sounds like you've been keeping things simple and now want to spice up your outfit. You have time if you want to do this. 

Your veil sounds perfect - not need to change. As far as jewelry goes, something like this with drop earrings would be really pretty and add some bling:
     Or if you're going for the more classic, pearl look, this would be pretty:
    Or if you want to incorporate both:
    *********************************************************************************

• No, don't add sleeves. I have broad shoulders as well and wore a sweetheart one shoulder dress. You have to embrace your broad shoulders because they give you an awesome shape so stand up straight and be proud...and screw that seamstress.  Also you have great toned arms and shoulders and most likely a great toned back so why would you want to cover that up?

I think you need some jewelry but nothing to heavy.  Get a nice sparkly bracelet, some small drop earrings and maybe a hair comb or a wrap around headband.  And even though I am not a huge fan of necklaces with wedding dresses I think if you got something simple and understated it would look really lovely.

I think once you get it steamed and you have someone take the time to fix each layer of tulle (it is a pain in the ass but necessary thing to do) you will be much happier.

• Your alterations lady is an asshole and clueless about female figures. You have a gorgeous set of shoulders and neckline and a sweetheart shows that off perfectly. 

I totally agree about the steaming - especially with a tulle dress. I had a lace dress with tulle petticoats, and it looked so stupid pre-steaming because the layers were crunchy and all over the place. 

I agree - grab some understated jewelry with some sparkle and you're set. 
  • You so need to "jack yourself up" and maybe consider a belt with some bling on it.
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree, some accessories will spice it up and make you happier with it. 
  • @drina0218 How much of a conversation have you had with the seamstress about disliking the way the neckline came out?  Bottom line is, if you feel that they've done a bad job and aren't happy, they need to fix it free of charge, assuming that there is time.  Personally, I would be hesitant about going back to the same people, because they should be taking some responsibility for their work, not just blaming your lack of satisfaction on your body shape and suggesting that your shape is what makes you feel that your dress didn't come out the way you'd imagined.  I don't actually see that you have an issue with your shoulders from the pictures, and a professional certainly shouldn't be going out of their way to make you have body image issues.  Either way, if you have the time, I feel you should leave honest reviews of their services on some websites.

I also agree with the other ladies.  Some accessories will really make a difference to how you feel about the dress.

Please let us all know how it turns out.
  • I think it is a beautiful dress! Once you add the veil and have your hair and makeup done, it will be great! I am envious of your shoulders..they are great. Add a beautiful sparkly dangle earring to jazz it up. And if you want more, how about a skinny sparkly belt?
  • First, the neckline is not crooked. Second, quit trying to add sleeves/change & alter the style of the dress. Aside from changes the fit and hemline, you should leave your dress alone. Third, it's a really beautiful dress and you look amazing in it. Really. All of that being said, no necklace, dramatic earrings, a sparkly belt, and your veil sounds perfect. Done!
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    A belt or sash for sure.  I don't see how it is crooked, though.
  • Thanks ladies! I am now backing away from the ledge lol. @southernbelle0915 those are very pretty, especially the first! I do feel like maybe I need a thin belt and make a necklace, but I really don't know where to start. I'm looking at BHLDN now, even though they are a bit ridiculously priced. And yes, the lady is a bit of an ass and the language barrier doesn't help. At my first fitting she grabbed my hands and told me they were enormous and couldn't believe they were so big. So apparently I'm a 5'3" freak with huge shoulders & hands.
  • Personally, I think a sparkly necklace would be the perfect thing to make you feel gorgeous. If the neckline is making you self-conscious (and I think it's fine, but it's about what you think) a necklace will draw attention up a bit and detract from the neckline of the dress.
  • It's so pretty!!! And I love the neckline! If it were me I'd add a sparkly belt and a necklace. Have you tried www.renttherunway.com? I know I keep dropping them in like every third discussion thread, but I love them. You can rent outstanding jewelry for fraction of the price, if you don't mind giving it back the next day. No one needs to know it's borrowed bling. I think they have bridal belts too if you don't want to spend another $200 on sparkles you'll never wear again.
  • Whatever you do, don't trade it in for that dress behind your left shoulder! What is that??
  • drina0218 said:
    Thanks ladies! I am now backing away from the ledge lol. @southernbelle0915 those are very pretty, especially the first! I do feel like maybe I need a thin belt and make a necklace, but I really don't know where to start. I'm looking at BHLDN now, even though they are a bit ridiculously priced. And yes, the lady is a bit of an ass and the language barrier doesn't help. At my first fitting she grabbed my hands and told me they were enormous and couldn't believe they were so big. So apparently I'm a 5'3" freak with huge shoulders & hands.

I'm so sorry that you've had such bad experiences with sales people!  Honestly, who tells a bride that they should be self conscious about certain parts of their bodies?  I have bits I don't like, we all do, so I actually brought those up off the bat and the sales people told me I was being silly, but they'd help me work around them.  Like, I didn't want a super puffy skirt, but I have giant feet - which kind of comes with being taller than average - but I wanted something to hide them at least a little, and shoes that had a rounded toe.  But I haven't had anyone point out that I have giant feet.  

That was a little bit ranty, but bottom line, this is a time when you're supposed to feel the best about yourself, not a time when snarky shop assistants can criticize you and still expect you to buy from them.
  • I don't think anything looks crooked.  It looks gorgeous. I do think you need some jewelry.  This was mine, it was blingy and pearl.  Maybe something with a little bling around your neck and a very think blingy belt.  

• drina0218 said:
    Thanks ladies! I am now backing away from the ledge lol. @southernbelle0915 those are very pretty, especially the first! I do feel like maybe I need a thin belt and make a necklace, but I really don't know where to start. I'm looking at BHLDN now, even though they are a bit ridiculously priced. And yes, the lady is a bit of an ass and the language barrier doesn't help. At my first fitting she grabbed my hands and told me they were enormous and couldn't believe they were so big. So apparently I'm a 5'3" freak with huge shoulders & hands.

I'm so sorry that you've had such bad experiences with sales people!  Honestly, who tells a bride that they should be self conscious about certain parts of their bodies?  I have bits I don't like, we all do, so I actually brought those up off the bat and the sales people told me I was being silly, but they'd help me work around them.  Like, I didn't want a super puffy skirt, but I have giant feet - which kind of comes with being taller than average - but I wanted something to hide them at least a little, and shoes that had a rounded toe.  But I haven't had anyone point out that I have giant feet.  

That was a little bit ranty, but bottom line, this is a time when you're supposed to feel the best about yourself, not a time when snarky shop assistants can criticize you and still expect you to buy from them.
     I agree. When I was at David's Bridal I had asked if I should get a smaller dress in case I lose weight and she replied "no, you're barely fitting in this one." lol like gee thanks, that was the best way to say that. 
  • jenijoyk said:
    Whatever you do, don't trade it in for that dress behind your left shoulder! What is that??
    Haha, my flower girl walked in the door and immediately said "why would anyone buy that?!?"
  • jenijoyk said:
    It's so pretty!!! And I love the neckline! If it were me I'd add a sparkly belt and a necklace. Have you tried www.renttherunway.com? I know I keep dropping them in like every third discussion thread, but I love them. You can rent outstanding jewelry for fraction of the price, if you don't mind giving it back the next day. No one needs to know it's borrowed bling. I think they have bridal belts too if you don't want to spend another $200 on sparkles you'll never wear again.
    Yes! I'm obsessed. I had two bridal showers (one back home with my family and the other where I live now with FIs family). Both events I used RTR and the dres sI used this weekend I hated and they overnighted me a new one and it was fantastic. I would recommend them to anyone that listens lol. 
  • I know!!! They are awesome about the customer service. Twice now I've recieved dresses that either didn't fit or that I just didn't like, and they either replaced or just refunded me. If you are ever in Vegas or New York you must stop by their show room! My girlfriend and I stopped by their Vegas one in the Cosmopolitan Hotel, and they let us each try on about 10 dresses! It was like having a really really rich best friend let you go through their closet.

Just put in my reservation for my rehearsal dinner dress!

• I think the dress looks beautiful and very flattering! I also had remorse about my dress and now I'm actually coming back around to liking it again. I think as a bride you just go through so many emotions but it's just because you want everything to be perfect.

I would say that adding a belt will help polish off the dress and also take away from making you feel everyone is looking at your neckline!

• jenijoyk said:

I know!!! They are awesome about the customer service. Twice now I've recieved dresses that either didn't fit or that I just didn't like, and they either replaced or just refunded me. If you are ever in Vegas or New York you must stop by their show room! My girlfriend and I stopped by their Vegas one in the Cosmopolitan Hotel, and they let us each try on about 10 dresses! It was like having a really really rich best friend let you go through their closet.

Just put in my reservation for my rehearsal dinner dress!

That's awesome! I actually don't live too far from NYC, so maybe after the wedding madness dies down I can go check it out. They have sent me to notices that they will also do temp hemlines too which is really nice, but not worth the train trip in. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards