Ohio-Cleveland

Photography help!

So far I love wedding planning. I've had a blast finding my reception venue and I already knew the church we were going to be married in. Even found my perfect dress the first place we went to! Everything has been a breeze! I had no idea the cost of wedding photographers. I'm torn. I've been meeting with a couple different people. Is it worth me spending $2500 on wedding photons?? Anyone's portfolio I look at who charges less than that I'm not impressed it. I'm not going to have a videographer but I guess I'm just going back and forth on if it's worth to fork over the extra money.

Re: Photography help!

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper

I'm so glad I got a videographer...I love my video so much more than my photos.  I found someone inexpensive for my photos and they're just okay.  I didn't get many of the photos that show a photographer's creativity.  In hindsight I still wouldn't pay $2,500 for photos.  9 months after our wedding only about 6 photos are framed in our home and I do love those.  All of those "cute" photo ideas you find on Pinterest aren't the ones you frame in your home.  If I did it all over I'd probably spend the same amount on the photographer and get the videographer too.

• It might be worth it to search for an apprentice or student photographer who isn't well established but is learning under the wing of an experienced photographer and providing their own services for practice and an income. Great photos are essential from my wedding - they capture so many moments you won't possibly be able to take in on your wedding day and give you concrete, visual memories to cherish forever.
  • We paid $1800 (our budget was $2000) for our photographer and I ended up deciding on a videographer about 6 weeks before our date (best decision ever!). Photos were very important to me because I come from a divorced family so our wedding was going to be the only time I had ALL of my family in one place. I couldn't have been happier with our choice. I clicked with our photographer from our first meeting. I highly suggest meeting ALL the options first. It really does make all the difference. 

I recently had a terrible experience with a wedding photographer as a wedding guest (my husband was also in the wedding) and let's just say they paid well over $3000. Higher price doesn't always mean great quality or experience. 

Anniversary

imagebam.com
  • iI found one for $350 and she is giving me50 edited pictures and a cd with the rights to all the pictures so iI can do what iI want with them. iI wasnt going to have an actual photographer, just family and friends. if iI didnt find this one iI still would be going this route. to me as long as iI have 1 picture iI am happy.
  • I'm using Prism Concepts Photography: full-day coverage starts at $1,500. I wanted my wedding photos to have an artistic feel to them, and this was the only photographer that didn't charge an arm and a leg for it.
    Anniversary
  • It's worth it. The higher prices are usually because they have higher quality equipment and more experience. Then also their photography business is their full time job where many photographers it's their weekend job. The full time photographer will  generally have a quicker turn around time with getting you photos as they aren't juggling editing your photos with their regular work schedule. There are some great up and coming photographers that work regular jobs until their photography business takes off, but there are a lot of photographers that are just, well creative but average. To survive doing it full time, you have to pretty good, and those one's cost a little more.
  • I highly recommend Matt Swetel Photography. Full day coverage was $1,500 (and I mean full day - from getting ready at 9am until end of reception at 11:30pm!) and he had an assistant working with him, so they were able to do things like divide & conquer the getting ready pictures of the guys & the girls. He had the pictures back to us (edited photos with digital rights via a website and a CD) in under six weeks, and his photos are every bit as good as, or better than, the ones I saw from much more expensive photographers. He's up and coming and still establishing his business so he doesn't charge as much, yet, but his work is amazing.
  • After meeting with 6 photographers, we booked Alevtina Photography (http://www.alevtinaphoto.com). She was the best price for what I was looking for. She is also really nice and always got back to me. I asked her for references and she gave me 5 names. All 5 of them gave her glowing recommendations. 
  • Look at eagle vision photography. They take such awesome pictures and are not that expensive.
  • That is quite a bit of money.  Are you in NE Ohio?
  • with all the people who are also going to take pictures iI just dont see spending thousands on photography. people take awesome pictures on cell phones, ipods, and such. iI wasnt going to even have a photographer. iI found an awesome lady who is just starting out. as iI mentioned above my price is amazing!! iI have seen her pictures if the few weddings she has done already and they are very good. iI am excited now to have a photographer! just saying, dont forget the little people!
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Never ever count on your wedding guests to do your photography.  They're guests and there to have fun and celebrate with you.  Pay someone to capture the memories that need to last you a lifetime. 
  • with all the people who are also going to take pictures iI just dont see spending thousands on photography. people take awesome pictures on cell phones, ipods, and such. iI wasnt going to even have a photographer. iI found an awesome lady who is just starting out. as iI mentioned above my price is amazing!! iI have seen her pictures if the few weddings she has done already and they are very good. iI am excited now to have a photographer! just saying, dont forget the little people!
    Everyone at my wedding had their phones and cameras out taking pictures. Not one single person sent me any pictures that they took. I asked a few people about it and they told me the pictures didn't turn out really well. The one person that gave me pictures had a couple of really cute ones, but most of them were blurry or nobody was looking at her because they were looking at other people with cameras. I definitely would never rely solely on people just taking pictures at your wedding. You will end up disappointed and some of the important moments will get missed.
  • Thanks for the input ladies! I know photos are an important part of this wedding for me. And the photographer I went with I feel like she just got me and I love her work. She just shot my fiances cousins wedding and I love the pictures. This is my splurge and it's an important one that will be worth it! I think... I hope! Haha. Now onto finding a DJ!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards