Wedding Reception Forum

Do chairs really matter?

I'm torn on whether to rent chairs or use the ones that come with my venue. They're off white and "fine." They won't really clash with my colors (shades of aqua), but will they detract with the overall "look?" Do people notice the chairs? Should I bite the bullet and rent the beautiful white ones?

Re: Do chairs really matter?

• nope, not really...so long as I have something to sit on that isn't rusted or falling apart I don't care.
    Save your money and put it into something people will actually remember.

• Nah, nobody notices the chairs as long as they are reasonably comfortable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• For a minute I thought you mean do having chairs really matter. Phew, glad that isn't the case LOL! The type and color of chair really doesn't matter. Since yours are neutral then they will just blend into the decor/room. Honestly, as long as the chair isn't falling apart and there is one for every person no one really pays attention the chairs. Can you remember the chairs from the last 5 weddings you went to?

• The only place I really remember the chairs from (business meeting,not wedding) were the ones where you had to sit down just right or the chair would tip back and you ended up on the floor.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For a minute I thought you mean do having chairs really matter. Phew, glad that isn't the case LOL! The type and color of chair really doesn't matter. Since yours are neutral then they will just blend into the decor/room. Honestly, as long as the chair isn't falling apart and there is one for every person no one really pays attention the chairs. Can you remember the chairs from the last 5 weddings you went to?
    This. I was about to come in here guns blazing haha
  • Existence of chairs, yes. Look of chairs, no.

• I'll take a slightly beat up, maybe non-matching chair over a chair with a "chair cover" any day.  Chair covers slide around when you move, get caught in chair legs, and overall look sloppy the minute guests get up from eating. 

Spend money elsewhere, yours sound fine! 

• This is the one thing I obsessed over originally (because I'm crazy & thought if I didn't have the most perfect chairs ever, it would all be ruined). Nobody remembers chairs. Do you remember what the chairs looked like at any wedding you've ever been to? My answer to that question was no, so I let it go & accepted that I won't have perfect chairs. And yours sound pretty neutral so you definitely shouldn't worry. It will look gorgeous with off-white chairs, I'm sure :)
  • Thanks everyone. It seems like we're all on the same page here. It was just bothering me because I can technically afford to rent the chairs, but didn't think it was worth it.
  • Thanks everyone. It seems like we're all on the same page here. It was just bothering me because I can technically afford to rent the chairs, but didn't think it was worth it.
    If it's not a budget issue, just ask yourself if you'll regret not doing it when you see the photos.  If it really isn't a big deal to you, definitely spend the money elsewhere.  Also--when people are sitting, most of chair won't be visible anyway.  Although if you're going to have your photographer taking a lot of ambiance type shots from afar, be sure you like the chairs.  One poster on here was talking about how the brand of the chair was across the back and it bothered her.  If it's something like that in addition to them just being so/so neutral, think about if you'll regret it.  I don't really mind if the chairs are comfy, enough in number, and clean/neatly lined up.  I used simply white folding chairs for my ceremony and mahogany Chivari for my reception.  The ceremony chairs weren't the fancy ones--just plain white folding--and they looked fine in photos.
  • White (or just neutral) "fine" looking chairs are perfectly fine and won't clash.  Now, if they were hideous and in some bright, weird colour then I would spend some extra money (if I had it) to rent other chairs or chair covers.
  • I'd spend my budget on something else before the chairs! the decorations and such will make the venue look amazing even with the plain white chairs.
  • Does this thinking apply to those metal folding chairs? Unfortunately, it is the only chairs my venue provides, and I am unsure if to purchase chair covers? But if no one will be paying attention, then I will spend my money on more important things.
  • @amazingasian - as long as I have a place to sit and the chair isn't broken, I'm good. I think our chairs were some kind of hard plastic, like the ones used at conference centers. We didn't use covers. Even though I've looked at my photos 100 times, I couldn't even tell you what color they were.
    *********************************************************************************

• @amazingasian - as long as I have a place to sit and the chair isn't broken, I'm good. I think our chairs were some kind of hard plastic, like the ones used at conference centers. We didn't use covers. Even though I've looked at my photos 100 times, I couldn't even tell you what color they were.
    This.  Honestly out of the 1000 pictures we received from our photographer I think only 20 had the chairs in them.  And even then the focus of the picture were on the people not the chairs so you don't even notice what type of chairs they were sitting in.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards