Wedding Etiquette Forum

Is 2 hours for cocktail "hour" too long?

2»

Re: Is 2 hours for cocktail "hour" too long?

• If your photographer needs 2 hours, you need to find a new photographer!
  • 2 hours is way too long. I'd tell your photographer "no." No amount of booze and appetizers will keep your guests from getting pissed off at you for keeping them waiting for you for 2 hours.
  • Our cocktail hour ended up being about an hour and a quarter, and honestly, it was pushing it in terms of length. And the only reason I think people were still okay during that time is that DH and I were doing table visits while everyone was enjoying our international cheese spread and bruschetta bar.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Yes 2 hours is too long! I had to experience one that was 1 hr and 45 min (also terribly hosted with a cash bar and a fruit and cheese platter with only cocktail tables and no chairs!!!) It was so annoying the couple cared more about their pictures then their guests comfort. It also sucked because H was in the wedding, and they made the whole WP hang around the 1hr 45 min for pictures.

Take as many pictures before that you can. Your solo shots, with your bridal party with your family etc Same for your fiance. Then after the wedding doing the WP and family first so then they can leave and go back to the party and you and fiance take the rest of the time to take your shots.

Anniversary
  • As a guest, I would start to get bored / really drunk after 2 hours.  Maybe cut it to 90 mins, or 75?  I would think maybe your WP would get a little antsy to get to the reception too, rather than take pics for 2 hours.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • scribe95 said:
    One hour. Make it work.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I would get wasted at this cocktail hour. 2 hours with nothing to do but drink and eat finger foods?! Sounds like my boss's bridal shower. Her mom hosted a lovely bridal shower at a banquet hall, with a 4-course sit-down meal. She hosted champagne, a white and a red wine. For nearly the first two hours, all we had was champagne refills (after refill after refill....) and to pick at the fruit/cheese platter (provided for the 79 guests in attendance). By the time the salad was served, everyone was several glasses of champagne in, and then they started serving the wine! IDK about you, but too much champagne can be lethal for me, especially on the empty stomach that my boss insisted we come with to ensure we had room for all the food her mom had arranged for.
  • In case anyone missed it, the OP did agree to do pics beforehand and shorten the cocktail hour.

OP, it's hard to keep track of ya'll with the Knottie##### usernames. Might we convince you to change it to something more identifiable? You'll keep your posting history, and we'll be able to get to know you a little better.

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I don't think you'll need 2 hours for all your photos.

Being honest here, our cocktail hour was 1.5 hrs, as we had to pick a time when dinner would start. We were done photos before dinner. Looking back, it was a bit long. By the end, I felt like guests were sitting and waiting for dinner to start. Keep it short!
  • Thanks lolo883 ! Username changed :)

I think we're going to end up just doing a first look...FI is now leaning towards that after seeing all the problems that are going to arise if we try and do it after! So we can just do all the photos beforehand and just do a few during cocktail hour (and keep cocktail at an hour or less) and then have time to relax and talk with our guests instead of barrelling through photos and trying to stay on a time limit.  Thanks so much for all the input!!
  • jm465 said:
    Thanks lolo883 ! Username changed :)

I think we're going to end up just doing a first look...FI is now leaning towards that after seeing all the problems that are going to arise if we try and do it after! So we can just do all the photos beforehand and just do a few during cocktail hour (and keep cocktail at an hour or less) and then have time to relax and talk with our guests instead of barrelling through photos and trying to stay on a time limit.  Thanks so much for all the input!!
    I think you will enjoy this option much more!  We didn't want to do a first look but did as many pictures as possible before the ceremony as we could so only have photos involving the two of us after the ceremony.  Even then, I was so ready just to go have fun with my guests!  I wanted to get there as soon as possible. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards