Pre-wedding Parties

Open House Wedding Shower- How do I handle this?

So I am so excited that my Aunts are hosting a wedding shower for me! I got the invitation and it seems like they are throwing an open house shower- the shower is 2 hours.

Has anyone ever been to one of these?  Also, as the bride, how do balance opening the gifts when people are coming and going and making sure I have enough time to talk to everyone as well?

Thank you!

Re: Open House Wedding Shower- How do I handle this?

• That sounds completely confusing. I have never heard of anything like that, but if its common in your circle then maybe the guests will understand. My shower was two hours long. We got to mingle, play games, and I opened presents. Everyone stayed the whole time.
  • I know it does sound confusing...I don't really know how I'm going to say hello to everyone and open gifts in a 2 hours span. My shower guest list was at about 40 people too. Not sure why they decided to go this route, but rather than be disappointed, I just want to make it work the best way I can! Maybe clone myself haha!
  • If you want to open gifts, maybe you can do that within the last half hour.  That way, everybody who wants to see that part can stay, and those who are not interested, can leave.  Prior to that, mingle as much as you can.  It may also work if you take the Boy Scout philosophy, stay in one place long enough and they will find you.  Ask your aunts if they had a gift opening plan.
  • edited August 2014

If you want to open gifts, maybe you can do that within the last half hour.  That way, everybody who wants to see that part can stay, and those who are not interested, can leave.  Prior to that, mingle as much as you can.  It may also work if you take the Boy Scout philosophy, stay in one place long enough and they will find you.  Ask your aunts if they had a gift opening plan.

• ^^^ Thank you! that sounds very organized and 'doable'!
  • scribe95 said:
    What makes you think it's open house - what is the wording? Two hour showers are pretty normal in my area. 

It actually says Open House on the invitation... with it only being 2 hours, not sure why they decided open house, but either way I can make it work.

• If people bring gifts you should ensure you make time to open them. Skipping the gift opening/thanking/etc part at a shower is really rude. Two hours is enough time to socialize and do this. You'll just need to prioritize it.

Also, open house - to me - implies that anyone can come. A shower is considered a wedding-related event. Anyone invited to it, must also be invited to the wedding. 
    *********************************************************************************

•  

If people bring gifts you should ensure you make time to open them. Skipping the gift opening/thanking/etc part at a shower is really rude. Two hours is enough time to socialize and do this. You'll just need to prioritize it.

Also, open house - to me - implies that anyone can come. A shower is considered a wedding-related event. Anyone invited to it, must also be invited to the wedding. 

I do plan on opening all of the gifts, never considered skipping it! I was just asking how I should organize this to ensure I get to chat with everyone and open the gifts in such a short time span...that's all.

The invites were only sent out to people on my list...only people invited to the wedding were invited to the shower.

• 2 hours seems a little short for an open house type event. The ones I've been to have usually been at least 4 hours. With a two hour time span I would think most people are going to end up staying for the whole thing anyways. Unless someone has something else to do I can't imagine just stopping by for 30 minutes. I like the suggestion above to wait until the end to open gifts so that people who don't want to stay the whole time can leave and you will also catch late comers.
  •    Open house here means "come anytime during these hours" not "anyone can come". Usually here they are for house warmings or holiday parties. You drop in, get a tour of the house, mingle for a bit then leave. I don't think I've ever seen one for a shower. Usually the hours are longer than 2, more like 4-6. 

I wouldn't have a problem with it, I'd probably like it. I'm not a fan of showers though (especially shower games). So the fact I could drop in , give a gift and maybe eat a piece of cake before taking off again seems particularly appealing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards