Chit Chat

I'm horrible- no birthday present for hubby

It's my husband's birthday on Saturday. His parents got him tickets to Vancouver as a birthday present- so we'll be there from tonight through monday. But I've gotten him nothing. I tried to suggest that the stereo system he got for his car could be my birthday present to him, but he nixed that idea. Since we're traveling tonight, I can't really get him anything between now and when we get back. 

Only thing I can think of- and it is super lame- is to get him a card with a Macy's gift card in it because he needs clothes. Alternatively, I could order something to be delivered to the house and give it to him when we get back. He's hard though. He mostly just buys things when he wants them, or they are too expensive to be realistic. Like I know he wants a laptop, but that's not within budget. Any ideas of how I should handle this? 

Re: I'm horrible- no birthday present for hubby

• Can you gift him a tour/experience while in Vancouver?
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • What about a GC to somewhere he could buy a laptop??  I'm not much help.  DH is the same and he's almost impossible to buy for.  Or maybe a certificate to do something together??  Concert, game, event, skydiving, bungee jumping, etc.??

• Do you know his size and taste in clothes?  Maybe you could buy some for him?
  • Why not take him out for a fancy dinner? I'm from Van, so I know some great places if you choose to go this route. (For what it's worth, this is actually what I do with my FI for his birthday every year, and he likes it more than any actual gift I give him.)

• I'd be able to buy clothes for him, that was my original plan before the trip came up. I've been looking at concerts, but last I checked, no one good was coming to town anytime soon. I'll look again- thanks for the idea. 

• SBmini said:
    I'd be able to buy clothes for him, that was my original plan before the trip came up. I've been looking at concerts, but last I checked, no one good was coming to town anytime soon. I'll look again- thanks for the idea. 

Is he from Vancouver originally?  They have Hop-On Hop-Off tours, the suspension bridge, and all kinds of touristy things that would be fun if he hasn't done them all.
  • If he's into techy stuff, how about a Raspberry Pi starter kit? My brother just got one yesterday...no one has heard from him since. Amazon has a good selection.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• The other thing making it interesting is I don't know how much longer we'll be in Phoenix! DH has an interview today with a firm in Denver and will hear back if he got a job in Charlotte next week. If he gets the Charlotte gig, he'll need to be out there ASAP. I'd totally get him tickets for the Black Keys, but they don't come to town until November. 

• Could you check Groupon/Living Social/etc. for something in the Vancouver area?  Maybe a fancier than normal restaurant, a show or a tour you could do while you are there?  If not, DH has given me an IOU coupon a couple of times; he's wanted to buy me something but has wanted help with size/color/whatever and so has waited until after my birthday to actual get the thing.
    Anniversary

• FI's birthday is also Saturday! My gift is taking him to NYC though, we always try to do more "activity" gifts rather than physical gifts. I like the other plans of treaing him to a fancy dinner while you're in Vancouver or some other neat tourist thing. Or take him to Macy's there and tell him to pick out a few things (if he has room in suitcase to bring them home). You could even just call the hotel and see if they'll do a cute little balloons in your room or something like that.

• FI's birthday is Tuesday. This year we're not exchanging presents (house + wedding), so I got him a card, we're going out to dinner that night, and I roped my mom (who didn't take much convincing) into doing "12 Days of Birthday". It's a tradition in my family for milestone birthdays where you get a birthday card in the mail every day for the 12 days before your birthday, Sundays excluded. Since FI is turning 30, she was more than willing. FI has said she'd better watch out when she turns 60 ... he's really having fun.
  • FI and I have a "no gift" agreement on birthday and holidays. The only gifts we give are for our dating anniversary right now. I can't be much help because I am suck at presents. I only buy useful, practical things, haha. He needs a new pair of waders for duck hunting so that's what he is getting this year.

I like a PPs idea of a concert or tour while in Vancouver.  

• We don't do presents, just "experiences" for birthdays usually. I usually send or take him to brewery tours or baseball/hockey related something. I get taken to the zoo or a show. 

So I'm on board with the concert, tour, activity in Vancouver idea. 

• jenna8984 said:
    FI's birthday is also Saturday! My gift is taking him to NYC though, we always try to do more "activity" gifts rather than physical gifts. I like the other plans of treaing him to a fancy dinner while you're in Vancouver or some other neat tourist thing. Or take him to Macy's there and tell him to pick out a few things (if he has room in suitcase to bring them home). You could even just call the hotel and see if they'll do a cute little balloons in your room or something like that.
    Unfortunately, Canada doesn't have any Macy's (yes, I'm bitter).

• If it weren't for his Amazon wish list, I would never know what to get my husband. Electronics are all he ever wants, and I would have no clue what to get.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Gift basket! My husband loves these. I usually do mini bottles of his favorite booze, soda, candy, some new headphones or a nifty tech gadget, a gc for his hobby of the month, and stuff like that.

Probably will do something small like that this year since our trip to Ireland is our birthday, Christmas, and anniversary gifts.
  • emmaaa said:
    FI and I have a "no gift" agreement on birthday and holidays. The only gifts we give are for our dating anniversary right now. I can't be much help because I am suck at presents. I only buy useful, practical things, haha. He needs a new pair of waders for duck hunting so that's what he is getting this year.

I'm trying to get DH to agree to this policy, or at minimum put a spending limit on it.  We just bought a house, are getting ready to start a kitchen remodel next week and most likely TTC after Christmas.  We don't need more STUFF.
  • My gifts so far to FI are as follows:

His last birthday (the first we were together for): I made him a mini TARDIS out of a big cardboard box, spray paint, and printed decorations. I intended to get him a Star Trek model to go inside (which would have made it "bigger on the inside" since the finished model would have been WAY bigger than the TARDIS), but the model wound up way more expensive than expected, and the TARDIS became slightly more of a money sink than expected. So I bought him the last season of The Office (US version) instead... lame substitute, but whatever, we watched and enjoyed it, haha...

Christmas: I got him the second book in the Batman: Knightfall trilogy, Kick-Ass 2, and a shot glass from the Top of the Rock gift shop (but he didn't get it until after Christmas soooo...)

I have decided to make some handmade model for his birthday this year, as well, although I'm not sure what it will be. Possibly the Death Star, since it wouldn't be super hard.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • AprilH81 said:
    SBmini said:
    I'd be able to buy clothes for him, that was my original plan before the trip came up. I've been looking at concerts, but last I checked, no one good was coming to town anytime soon. I'll look again- thanks for the idea. 

Is he from Vancouver originally?  They have Hop-On Hop-Off tours, the suspension bridge, and all kinds of touristy things that would be fun if he hasn't done them all.
    A lot of his dad's family is from Vancouver. We'll be staying with one of his cousins and spending a lot of time with aunts, uncles, his grandmother, etc. He's been there a few times, this is my first time. We're doing Grouse Grind tomorrow then we may go to Whistler for a day this weekend. I guess one of his family members has a house there we can stay at. So it won't really be a touristy trip. We'll be going out with family pretty much every meal, or eating at family's house. And have the local cousins to show us around.
  • SBmini said:
    AprilH81 said:
    SBmini said:

A lot of his dad's family is from Vancouver. We'll be staying with one of his cousins and spending a lot of time with aunts, uncles, his grandmother, etc. He's been there a few times, this is my first time. We're doing Grouse Grind tomorrow then we may go to Whistler for a day this weekend. I guess one of his family members has a house there we can stay at. So it won't really be a touristy trip. We'll be going out with family pretty much every meal, or eating at family's house. And have the local cousins to show us around.
    Whistler Village has a lot of unique and interesting shops - maybe you could find something there?

• Yeah, he sent me to the website and asked me what I wanted to do. I came back with ziplining and the olympic bobsled rollercoaster-like thing. I don't think he was amused by my suggestions. I'm way more of an adrynaline junkie than he is. 
  • Why not take him out for a fancy dinner? I'm from Van, so I know some great places if you choose to go this route. (For what it's worth, this is actually what I do with my FI for his birthday every year, and he likes it more than any actual gift I give him.)
    Yay! Another Vancouverite! 

I didn't get DH a gift for his birthday this year, and he didn't get me anything either. I took him out for lunch when we were in Norway on his birthday during on honeymoon, and he took me to one of my favourite restaurants and baked a cake for my birthday. 

There are tons of shops in Whistler, so you might find something there. DH and I always find things we want to buy at Granville Island. 

Good luck with the Grouse Grind! I haven't done it yet but I've heard it's tough.

Anniversary
    Yay! Another Vancouverite! 

I didn't get DH a gift for his birthday this year, and he didn't get me anything either. I took him out for lunch when we were in Norway on his birthday during on honeymoon, and he took me to one of my favourite restaurants and baked a cake for my birthday. 

There are tons of shops in Whistler, so you might find something there. DH and I always find things we want to buy at Granville Island

Good luck with the Grouse Grind! I haven't done it yet but I've heard it's tough.
    YES. 

What are his interests? We might be able to help steer you in the right direction if we know a little more about what he's into.

• AprilH81 said:
    emmaaa said:
    FI and I have a "no gift" agreement on birthday and holidays. The only gifts we give are for our dating anniversary right now. I can't be much help because I am suck at presents. I only buy useful, practical things, haha. He needs a new pair of waders for duck hunting so that's what he is getting this year.

I'm trying to get DH to agree to this policy, or at minimum put a spending limit on it.  We just bought a house, are getting ready to start a kitchen remodel next week and most likely TTC after Christmas.  We don't need more STUFF.
    He's bad at following the rule and he is much better with presents than I am. I'm a card person so he always gets a Birthday, Christmas, Easter, etc. card and something small for like $10. Then he goes and gets me something really thoughtful and nice.

For our very first Christmas together (we had been together 3 months and were in high school), I asked to set a limit of $50. I got him a fleece jacket and he got me a diamond heart necklace that cost, well more than $50. I obviously loved it and wore it every day since (until the pendant broke off the chain at a field party and I didn't notice until I got home), but he still didn't do well with price limits.

• If he's into techy stuff, how about a Raspberry Pi starter kit? My brother just got one yesterday...no one has heard from him since. Amazon has a good selection.
    My parents got one for my boys (FI and FSS) for Christmas and they loved it.

FI and I haven't been together super-long but we've kind of abandoned gift-giving. It sounds bad but we'd both rather buy the other person gifts when we see something that seems perfect, not just because of a date. For example, FI bought me a necklace for Christmas because he felt like he needed to buy me something. He knew it wasn't perfect, he just felt desperate. I've bought him clothes for holidays when he needs them but doesn't care, just because I had no better idea. So sure, he'll get me flowers for an anniversary and I'll get him a card (sometimes with explicit promises, etc.) but I also pick up little things for him when I see something perfect. Although I might store them in my dresser for a while if it's close to a holiday!

It's hard to get started with this approach but a simple card that says you love him too much to get something that isn't perfect could do the trick.

It definitely depends on your DH though-- this approach works better with some people than others.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • DH loves to cook, so last year I got him a hands-on date night cooking class at Sur la Table.  It was a blast and he loved it!
  • Since Whistler's Village seems to have lots of cute little stores (I haven't been before), can you quietly talk to one of H's cousins so that if H says he likes something, but doesn't want to buy it. You can signal to cousin to get H out of the shop so you can buy it and surprise him with it when you guys return home?
  • emmaaa said:
    AprilH81 said:
    emmaaa said:

He's bad at following the rule and he is much better with presents than I am. I'm a card person so he always gets a Birthday, Christmas, Easter, etc. card and something small for like $10. Then he goes and gets me something really thoughtful and nice.

For our very first Christmas together (we had been together 3 months and were in high school), I asked to set a limit of $50. I got him a fleece jacket and he got me a diamond heart necklace that cost, well more than $50. I obviously loved it and wore it every day since (until the pendant broke off the chain at a field party and I didn't notice until I got home), but he still didn't do well with price limits.

**Stuck in the Box***

Our first Christmas together was almost a year since our first date but only 6 months since being exclusive.  I spent about $200 on him and then more on his parents (we went to his hometown for Christmas) he spent at least $500 on me and I felt like crap.

He is very generous (which is normally a good thing) but now that we have other responsibilities we don't need to buy all the presents for all the people.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards