Wedding Etiquette Forum

Honeymoon registry and shower advice

I'm leaving this here for other brides who had questions like I did. The knotties were not very friendly towards me - so I'm not going to check this thread again as they really were just hurtful. However, if anyone else were to come here for advice the way I did, I'm going to leave my experience and hope they do not receive the same treatment. 

My original question to the community was how to incorporate my honeymoon registry at my shower. An aunt wanted to throw one for me, and I wanted to accept. I did a honeymoon registry because I'm a little older and the only thing I've never "showered" myself with, is the gift of traveling. No matter what your reasons, do not let 

Here is how I did it, and it turned out beautifully. 

The honeymoon is in London, so the theme of the shower was "London Calling". British tea, scones, whole British brunch set up with the Beatles and the Clash playing in the background. As a game, I had a map from where I live to London, and as I opened the honeymoon gifts, I added little pictures to the map (ie, planes for people who contributed to airfare, fish and chips to people who contributed towards food, etc). My family (even the older generations) had a ball with it. It was lovely and I would highly recommend doing it if you'd like to include those gifts during your shower. 

I thought it might be awkward but it turned out great and really got everyone involved. Turns out they also had a ton of travel advice and stories that I probably wouldn't have had the chance to hear otherwise. It made the gifts very personal, and gave us a lot of little traditions to continue in our own travels. 

Good luck to all of the brides out there, no matter what you've registered for!

Re: Honeymoon registry and shower advice

• Feel better?
  • Well then...moving on.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • scrunchythiefscrunchythief member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    I'd like to second what dramamonkey said about people being very generous with wedding presents. DH and I had a decent size registry, partially because family members told us it was too small (not intentionally small, we just felt SUPER awkward registering). Most of the registry items were purchased, along with a couple awesome off-registry ones (especially the TARDIS shaped soap dispenser!). 

We were completely floored by how much money people put into cards. I was actually at a loss for words, and that doesn't happen often. So, yeah you seriously don't need a honeymoon registry to get cash. We'd taken a low-key honeymoon since we're going to Italy this New Year's with family, and we wanted to save up for that. Now we don't have to.
  • She's gracing other boards with this gem as well. I replied on the HM board.

• Too bad she couldn't handle the good advice she was given.  Speshul snowflake alert.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Not for nothing, but if any of the guests said anything to the bride or groom or host that they felt any element of the event was tacky or rude, THAT would be mean. So just because your friends and family told you they had a lovely time, it does not mean they didn't have any grievances.
  • She's gracing other boards with this gem as well. I replied on the HM board.
    Ugh, really? That's just poor forum etiquette, not that I should be surprised. I'm sure her real internet friends totally understand though.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I just don't understand registering for money. DH and I didn't register for a damn thing because, like so many of the snowflakes explain, we lived together for 11 years before getting married so had everything we needed. I have no idea how, but EVERY SINGLE GUEST WHO GAVE US A GIFT GAVE US MONEY. Ok, that's only partially true because one couple gave us gift cards and another gave a donation to one of our favorite charities, but seriously, everyone else gave us cash or a check. The best part, we were able to put them in the bank immediately and didn't lose any percentage of it to fees. Amazing.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I thought about doing a down payment registry shortly after being engaged, and then I read stuff on here. And then I realized those registries take a cut of the gifts. Ah hell no. 

We had a traditional registry.  I had two showers, where I got mostly physical presents, and then most of our gifts at the wedding were cash. 

Anniversary

• beethery said:
    These cash registries ought to send out thank you cards for their cut of the gifts. I bet they can buy so many nice things with all the money that people unwittingly give them.
    Don't give them any ideas. I can see it now.

"But honeymoon registries are soo convenient for me and my guests. Honeyfund even sends a thank you email so our guests know that we appreciated their contribution to our vacation!!! Squeeee!"

• beethery said:
    These cash registries ought to send out thank you cards for their cut of the gifts. I bet they can buy so many nice things with all the money that people unwittingly give them.
    Don't give them any ideas. I can see it now.

"But honeymoon registries are soo convenient for me and my guests. Honeyfund even sends a thank you email so our guests know that we appreciated their contribution to our vacation!!! Squeeee!"

SHIT! You're right!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I almost didn't bother responding to this since OP isn't coming back, but for lurkers: Don't listen to her!

This OP is one person (versus a general consensus on TK and society) that says that HM funds are okay. They are not. When one has a HM fund, they are essentially asking for cash, which guess what! Is rude.

OP is rude. 

This is ridiculous.

• We got over $3,000 in cash and gift cards. Well over, actually. Maybe closer to $3,500. We also registered and got many boxed gifts. We had space for 165 people, and I think we sent around 155 invitations. The generosity really blew me away.

As I said, we did register, but some people didn't know that. I got a few that said something about how they didn't know where we registered, because we didn't include registration information on the invitation, so they figured money would be the best gift. (I knew better than to put registry info on an invitation.) Guests didn't need a money registry to help them decide that we might like getting money. It's a pretty universally appreciated gift. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards