Wedding Invitations & Paper

Foot attire advice for the women guests at outdoor wedding

How should I politely inform my guests (especially the women) that high heels are highly not recommended for an outdoor wedding?? I want to make sure everyone is comfortable, but not come across as being demanding or annoying. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: Foot attire advice for the women guests at outdoor wedding

• Do you have a wedding website? If so, put something like "the ceremony will be located in the lawn at X location" (or gravel, or whatever) and leave it at that. Women will understand and be fine. Definitely nothing on the invitations or direct "wear flats" wording.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I think you can mention the surfaces that people will be moving over at the wedding, such as grass, cement, clay, etc., but it's best to avoid mentioning any type of footwear or other dress suggestions.
  • Women who wear high heels know how much it sucks to walk on grass/gravel/sand/etc. while wearing them. 

Just make a note of the type of terrain where the ceremony and/or reception will take place. Any woman who can read will "get" it.
    *********************************************************************************

• I have been to a few weddings where I wish I had known there was rough terrain. The last one I had my heels and flats in the car, when we arrived to see golf carts to shuttle us from dirt parking lot to wedding, I knew it was time for flats. Some other ladies had major heels on that night. I felt bad.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    I went against etiquette and put information on attire on my FAQ insert.   

We had a beach wedding.  However, some beach weddings are on the actual beach.  Others can be be on a slab, deck or grassy area next to the beach.    DH was not wearing a suit, tux or tie.  No one from either family had been to a beach wedding.  Or and outside wedding as we are all Catholic.  Catholics get married in churches and you dress up for those events.  (we did not have a Catholic wedding - ::insert gasp::

Anyway, so among other things we put something like

"The ceremony will be on the beach. A shoe valet will be available for your shoes.   Coats and ties are not necessary."

My guests were thrilled with us mentioning this on the insert.   On the beach means just that, they have to walk through sand.    Shoe valet means they have place to keep their shoes if they choose to go barefoot.   I hate walking on the sand with shoes on, I figured others would to.  We had a long table to put your shoes.  There were also chairs, paint brushes, sand gloves and towels for people to wipe down their feet before putting the shoes on.

If you have an insert and/or website I would include something like the ceremony will take place on a grassy area (or whatever type of terrain).   They should understand what that means.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • danamwdanamw member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2014

I have walked on grass, cement, and a variety of other surfaces. I have also worn many different kinds of footwear. Some were good choices, some were not.

One thing I will not do is blame someone else for my incorrect choice of footwear.

I have been dressing myself for quite some time now, and I have an idea what to do.
  • I think you can mention that in an attire card and send it along with your invitations.
  • I think you can mention that in an attire card and send it along with your invitations.
    What is an "attire card"? Telling guests what to wear should NEVER be mentioned in any form in a wedding invitation.
    *********************************************************************************

• edited August 2014
    What is an "attire card"? Telling guests what to wear should NEVER be mentioned in any form in a wedding invitation.
    You can offer suggestions or dress code to the guests through an attire card , dear. However, it is optional. You can even specify it at the lower right-hand corner of the invitation indicating the apparel info. But if the dress code is very detailed and specific or needed more clarification, then a separate insert/card can be helpful.
  • NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    You can offer suggestions or dress code to the guests through an attire card , dear. However, it is optional. You can even specify it at the lower right-hand corner of the invitation indicating the apparel info. But if the dress code is very detailed and specific or needed more clarification, then a separate insert/card can be helpful.

Ha Ha Ha Attire card! Last invitation I received that mentioned attire was to a pajama party.
  • edited August 2014
    Lol "dear," no. An attire card that specific is not something polite people do.

• Just because you find something on the world wide interwebz doesn't make it true. You could find support for all kinds of rude stuff if you look hard enough. The most reliable etiquette source is Miss Manners.

• I would not take etiquette advice from someone who was convicted of lawbreaking and served a jail sentence for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards