Wedding Invitations & Paper

RSVPs: "We have reserved 2 seats in your honor"

What do you think about this type of wording? Is it rude? Would you think, "Seriously, they don't think I don't know how to read an envelope and plan on inviting everyone I know?" Or is it acceptable?

Re: RSVPs: "We have reserved 2 seats in your honor"

• I kinda like it, it cuts out the ability for guests to add extra people (like kids) :)  Unless there is only one addressee then who knows who they'd bring I guess.  I still like it :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We're using it.  It's easier than dealing with people asking if they can bring a plus one, writing in a plus one, or worse yet, just showing up with someone.

• PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I don't care for it.  Aside from the fact that it's mildly insulting, if you're reserved two seats for Mary and John Doe, if John can't make it, Mary might think that she can then bring someone else in his place, like her child or next door neighbor.  And why not?  You've already told her that you've reserved two seats.  How do you politely back out of that can of worms? 
  • I also don't care for that wording.
  • I don't like it for the reasons Peavy mentioned.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think it's much easier to list the invited people on the envelope and then if they RSVP for more guests, call them and tell them they can't bring them.  Most people know that if they are the only ones on the envelope, they are the only ones invited.  You may get a few who add extras but it won't be that many.

Peavy made a great point as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have no feelings on proper etiquette one way or the other but a girl on my local board did this and STILL had people adding 2, 3, and 4 guests despite saying a certain number of seats.  It won't stop people from adding people, and TBH, the people who add people will add them despite what you write.  Shoot, you could write "ONLY YOU, JOHN DOE, ARE INVITED" and if John Doe wants a guest, he'll try to add one.  (note: please do NOT write the above mentioned capitalized part...)
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • I don't see a problem with it at all.  We recently received an invite addressed to my fiance only but with the RSVP indicating 2 seats. I interpretted it as a polite way of including me even though I've never met them, and kind of appreciated that they didn't try and then butcher my name. Plus, I think if you don't have an inner envelope (I don't), then "& Guest" looks impersonal on the outer envelope. but that's just my opinion, i know that Emily Post would probably disagree :)
    image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2012
    We did:

John Smith ___accepts  ___declines
    Jane Smith ___accepts  ___declines

eta for +1s:

John Smith
        ___will attend
        ___ will attend with guest
        ___ declines

We did our own invitations so we were able to change the wording depending on the situation.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • casymecasyme member
    First Comment
    We're using the "reserved __ seats" language.  It's not rude.  And yet I recognize that it's also not "magic language" that will prevent every single person from including an uninvited +1.  It's as good as you can get, I think -- better than leaving it completely up to chance.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_rsvps-we-have-reserved-2-seats-in-your-honor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:070272b9-9ce7-43a9-bd9a-8f8ed2cfe2e4Post:2df3b547-c91d-4c08-ab5a-bb80e963d343">Re: RSVPs: "We have reserved 2 seats in your honor"</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't care for it.  Aside from the fact that it's mildly insulting, if you're reserved two seats for Mary and John Doe, if John can't make it, Mary might think that she can then bring someone else in his place, like her child or next door neighbor.  And why not?  You've already told her that you've reserved two seats.  How do you politely back out of that can of worms? 
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]
    By then having the lines below:<div>
    </div><div>__________ __ accepts  __ regrets</div><div>
    </div><div>__________ __ accepts  __ regrets</div><div>
    </div><div>Then you fill in each person's name that is invited. That's what we did. I did X seats held in your honor & then wrote out their names. We didn't have 1 person try to bring along someone else. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_rsvps-we-have-reserved-2-seats-in-your-honor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:070272b9-9ce7-43a9-bd9a-8f8ed2cfe2e4Post:3a3e6336-2f96-4090-9561-030d7ab4462f">Re: RSVPs: "We have reserved 2 seats in your honor"</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did: John Smith ___accepts  ___declines Jane Smith ___accepts  ___declines eta for +1s: John Smith     ___will attend     ___ will attend with guest     ___ declines We did our own invitations so we were able to change the wording depending on the situation.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

I like this but would change to this:
    John Smith ___will attend ___ will attend with ___________
    _____declines
  • We are using that language as well.  I don't particularly care for it, but the groom's family has proven over and over they don't understand wedding etiquette AT ALL - and will attempt to bring their kids, their kids' friends, their neighbors, their favorite grocery store cashier...  

The wording may not prevent that from happening anyway but we hope so.
  • Is this wording available on all RSVPs?  Or do you have to order specific ones that already say this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards