Chit Chat

Cons and pros of an early December wedding!

I thought of many but I need more!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cons and pros of an early December wedding!

• Weather? Where do you live?
  • PROS:
    We shouldn't have a HELL of a lot of snow yet, compared to January or February.
    People can use your registry to buy you Christmas presents.
    Venues are already decorated.
    Less competition for vendors/people's free time compared to May-September.

CONS:
    It gets dark really early so natural light is a challenge for photos.
    You get salt all over your shoes.
    You need a coat check.
    Might run into competition from company holiday parties.

• Con: travel schedules. When I was living outside of the area, it was already hard to come home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. If there was a wedding as well, it would be even harder. The cost wasn't even the biggest issue- it was the time it takes to travel.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Con:
    Competition from work holiday parties (both for venues and people's calendars)
    People are already spending a lot of money on Christmas presents (assuming your circle mostly celebrate) and may not  be able to afford to attende
    Travel is more expensive

Pro:
    Depending on where you live it may be the low season for vendors so you will be able to have more selection and possibly lower prices (or both).
    It will be "different" than most spring/summer/fall weddings, especially if it snows like it did for us!
    Winter opens up some fun options for food and beverage (hot chocolate/coffee bar, smore's bar, etc.) that is more appropriate in the winter.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Where are you living/hosting your wedding?

For us, we didn't want to contend with a possible Big Ass Snowstorm, so winter was out. My family is in the southeast, but H's family (and a lot of our friends) live in the New York area, so when travel gets bad, it effects SO MANY of our potential guests.

That said, I think winter weddings are beautiful.
  • Con: lots of people won't justify the trip because it's so close to the holidays 

We went to an OOT mid-December wedding last year and have a destination wedding early December this year. I'm a little bitter because the cost and vacation time means we have to sacrifice trips to see family during the holidays.

*********************************************************************************

• If I remember correctly, you live in Michigan? So the list will be a little different as I'm in NC. My wedding is December 27.

Cons:
    -We risk it either being cold and snowy or sunny and 65 degrees
    -Southerners can't drive in the snow
    -Near Christmas so you will be competing with holiday parties for companies and family in finding your venue and guests attendance. 
    -Travel and everything is super expensive. FI and I couldn't go on a HM anywhere we had to fly because Cit is literally the most expensive time of year to fly. We are going to Universal Studios for a day while on our HM and tickets are twice as expensive as they would be any other time. If you have many OOT guests, it will be expenisve for them also.

Pros: 
    -FI is always hot and sweating. Winter (hopefully) will be cold enough so that he is comfortable. We love cold weather.
    -It gets dark early. We are doing our ceremony by candlelight and low lighting for a more romantic and cozy feel. We decided to do a first look and all of our pictures before the ceremony so we can take some outside in natural light.
    -People will most likely be off work and home for the holidays. It will help save on travel.
    -Venues will likely already be decorated for Christmas and you can use this to your advantage or hide the Christmas stuff. 
    -You can really do some good, warm, heavy food for the reception.
    -We risk it either being cold and snowy or sunny and 65 degrees (I list this on both the pros and cons because I would be thrilled either way!)

• Con: lots of people won't justify the trip because it's so close to the holidays 

We went to an OOT mid-December wedding last year and have a destination wedding early December this year. I'm a little bitter because the cost and vacation time means we have to sacrifice trips to see family during the holidays.

Sorry but that rubs me the wrong way. You may be bitter but you chose to attend. That means you chose to sacrifice trips.

We are having a Dec 27th wedding and people may be bitter because it isn't convenient, but shit we did what worked with our schedules and figured people wouldn't show if it wasn't convenient. Assuming wedding is hosted properly, it is a little unfair to be bitter.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • emmaaa said:

If I remember correctly, you live in Michigan? So the list will be a little different as I'm in NC. My wedding is December 27.

Cons:
    -Near Christmas so you will be competing with holiday parties for companies and family in finding your venue and guests attendance. 
    -Travel and everything is super expensive. FI and I couldn't go on a HM anywhere we had to fly because Cit is literally the most expensive time of year to fly. We are going to Universal Studios for a day while on our HM and tickets are twice as expensive as they would be any other time. If you have many OOT guests, it will be expenisve for them also.

Pros: 
    -FI is always hot and sweating. Winter (hopefully) will be cold enough so that he is comfortable. We love cold weather.
    -It gets dark early. We are doing our ceremony by candlelight and low lighting for a more romantic and cozy feel. We decided to do a first look and all of our pictures before the ceremony so we can take some outside in natural light.
    -People will most likely be off work and home for the holidays. It will help save on travel.
    -Venues will likely already be decorated for Christmas and you can use this to your advantage or hide the Christmas stuff. 
    -We risk it either being cold and snowy or sunny and 65 degrees (I list this on both the pros and cons because I would be thrilled either way!)

Date twin! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had a December wedding (not by choice, because of a postponement w/ Hurricane Sandy).  The venue was decorated beautifully for the holidays!  They fireplaces were going and it just seemed cozy.  I love all the photos and I really think I loved the new date better than the old date.

We were also very fortunate to have weather in the mid 40s and were able to take pictures outside.  The next weekend was windy and freezing, and I knew I wouldn't have gotten my outdoor pics if it was that weekend.  I would've been bummed about that.   Also, it gets darker earlier, so if you want outdoor photos (provided it's warm enough), you need to do them early.

Snow was my biggest concern, but thankfully there was none of that.

• JoanE2012 said:

We had a December wedding (not by choice, because of a postponement w/ Hurricane Sandy).  The venue was decorated beautifully for the holidays!  They fireplaces were going and it just seemed cozy.  I love all the photos and I really think I loved the new date better than the old date.

We were also very fortunate to have weather in the mid 40s and were able to take pictures outside.  The next weekend was windy and freezing, and I knew I wouldn't have gotten my outdoor pics if it was that weekend.  I would've been bummed about that.   Also, it gets darker earlier, so if you want outdoor photos (provided it's warm enough), you need to do them early.

Snow was my biggest concern, but thankfully there was none of that.

Yes, I forgot fireplaces! You can get a really nice and warm glow by the fireplace.

• @pinkshorts27 You're getting married the same date my big brother got married in 2013! Awwww...he had the wedding back on our little island, and yes some people weren't able to make it but like you said, they worked to make sure that everyone present was hosted appropriately!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Sorry but that rubs me the wrong way. You may be bitter but you chose to attend. That means you chose to sacrifice trips. We are having a Dec 27th wedding and people may be bitter because it isn't convenient, but shit we did what worked with our schedules and figured people wouldn't show if it wasn't convenient. Assuming wedding is hosted properly, it is a little unfair to be bitter.
    I don't think it's unfair to feel that way. Of course we could choose not to attend. Just because we have the choice, doesn't mean it dissolves any feelings I may have about that choice. In the same way holiday weekend weddings often get grumbles - of course the choice is there, but it doesn't mean people aren't annoyed by having to make that choice. 

These are very good friends of ours - the family you choose so to speak. So we're in an awkward position of being forced to choose holidays with our family who we see only twice a year or their wedding. It's a crappy choice to have to make, so I don't think it's unfair to feel a certain way about it.
    *********************************************************************************

• If I remember correctly, you live in Michigan? So the list will be a little different as I'm in NC. My wedding is December 27.

Cons:

Pros: 

Date twin! :)
    Me too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards