Illinois-Chicago

Help...i'm looking for a photographer in Chicago

I am getting married 8/8/2015. I am currently on the search for a photographer. I have no ideas! I did get one recommendation from a friend but the photographer is $2500! This seems way out of my budget but I dont want to get some cheap photographer and get horrible pictures but $2500 seems like alot. Any suggestions would help. Also anyone know what the average photgrapher charges?

Re: Help...i'm looking for a photographer in Chicago

• Your best bet is to ask on your local board. These are international boards so you might not find much advice.

As a Chicagoan, I went with someone who is just starting up. I didn't want to spend $$$ on a photographer. We're spending about $800 but the bigger places seem to run around $1500 to start. This doesn't include videography.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • thanks...and i couldn't find the local board...i'll look again.
  • I am getting married 8/8/2015. I am currently on the search for a photographer. I have no ideas! I did get one recommendation from a friend but the photographer is $2500! This seems way out of my budget but I dont want to get some cheap photographer and get horrible pictures but $2500 seems like alot. Any suggestions would help. Also anyone know what the average photgrapher charges?
    $2,500 is not expensive for the Chicago area. My sister is a pro wedding photographer in Chicago and so is her former roommate, who's doing my wedding. She charges about $4,000. I talked to another photog from the area who charges a starting fee of $4,800 not including videographer. I'd say look for someone who's not well-known. Try a student at Columbia; it's an art school and there's some amazing talent there, but they aren't established yet so they'd probably be glad to make $800 or so over a weekend.
  • ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    Here is who i am using. She isn't IN chicago but is willing to travel. She did a fantastic job on our engagement pictures.

She had all of her pricing listed on her website.

ETS. She has really great ratings on The Knot as well.
  • I wasn't planning to spend 2500 on pics either, even though photography was one of the most important things on our list. I'm at about 2200 for my photographer in Chicago-land. This amount seems to be a pretty normal / average price.
  • KayDeeeKayDeee member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014

This was already cross posted on this board: ISO Photographer post so I will answer here what I answered there:

$2500 definitely average for opening packages in the Chicago area. I know, it's a shocker but I personally think it's the one thing definitely worth the money.

We used Kristi at Markit Photography and she was absolutely a joy to work with and her work is incredible. http://www.markitphotography.com/

I do realize a lot of people go to larger photo companies because they are cheaper, that's an understandable route to go, but remember you won't have as much say in which photographer  you get sometimes or how you want your day to go. If you do go that route, I would stay away from George Street Photography, for every success story, lots of iffy practices and photographers. Too much of a crap shoot.

Also you can try SnapKnot http://snapknot.com/

On that snapknot page you put in your budget and area, and it will list photographers in your area who are your price range.

Good luck!
  • I think the only thing you can do is simply to start asking around. Not many photographers post prices publicly and you have to inquire.

I did a Google image search for "chicago weddings" and clicked on the pictures I liked to see who the photographers were.  I ultimately found mine, Serendipity Portraits, because the principal photographer did some artistic shots for a local musician. 

Look through your social media contacts at their wedding photos. If you like the photos your friends have, see who their photographer was. 

Also, figure out just how important this is to you. If you have a strict low budget, fine, use a company like George Street that runs around $800 and you'll be happy, I'm sure.  If you love artistic and creative photos, and it's really important to you, adjust your budget to the $3-$5k range. My coworker's daughter paid $10k for her entire package including videography. The pictures I saw were beautiful but I'd never pay $10k personally. 

• My photographer is charging $1800 for 9hours. Jenny Fontaine Photography. Let me know if you need her email!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards